Battery chargers

Dave Bebb

Featured Posts

If the photo shows all the controls and indicators then no, do not leave it permanently on because it is probably an old car one that has no voltage control so given time it would ruin the batteries. The web seems to indicate it has a crude meter the other side of the lable, that is another indication its not voltage regulated.

You can use it but monitor the voltage. When it gets to about 14.5 or 14.6 turn it off but NOTE the batteries may not be fully charged. If left on the voltage is likrly to keep rising until you either load the batteries or you boil the acid.

Edited by Tony Brooks
chage 14.5 to 24.6 to 13.5 to 14.6

It would be better to have a dedicated marine battery charger.  That looks more like a vehicle charger and might even stop charging when the battery is 'full'.  You want one designed to keep the batteries topped up on a long-term basis.  And these are normally left connected all the time when mains is available.

Can you photograph the label, possibly on the back, with the full model number and specs.  Or the instructional manual page showing these?

Looking on the internet I could not find that exact model.  But similar ones seem OK to leave connected long term.  But it should be replaced soon to give your batteries the care they need.

Your charger is not rated to charge 4 x 110Ah batteries, more like 225Ah i.e. it is too small.

Here is the manual for the closest current model to yours http://www.absaar.com/v2/en/products/professionnal-chargers

Edited by mross

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

If the photo shows all the controls and indicators then no, do not leave it permanently on because it is probably an old car one that has no voltage control so given time it would ruin the batteries. The web seems to indicate it has a crude meter the other side of the lable, that is another indication its not voltage regulated.

You can use it but monitor the voltage. When it gets to about 14.5 or 14.6 turn it off but NOTE the batteries may not be fully charged. If left on the voltage is likrly to keep rising until you either load the batteries or you boil the acid.

Thanks  

What sort of budget do you have?  Do you cruise a lot or basically stay in one place with mains available?  Forum members will then suggest suitable chargers.

Just don't buy one with crocodile clamps, you need one connected permanently.

Edited by mross
  • Greenie 1

https://sterling-power.com/collections/clearance/products/bb1260-battery-to-battery-charger-very-small-crack-on-plastic-casing-new-unit?variant=44923987541 for £150 30a or £200 60A

used, 6-month warranty.  Prices include VAT as do all prices on their website.  Many vendors quote prices ex VAT so bear in mind if shopping around.

Edited by mross

As said, to advise we really need to know more about when and for what the OP wants to use it.

Obviously his requirements include being able to be left on permanently, for a reasonable size bank. If we then know the use and time between us we can suggest if a smaller 'maintaince' type charger such as a CTEK is enough just to keep it up, or if they need something with a bit more poke to provide good charge, 20-40amp say.  

If you're pulling the power out at the same time, maybe even with an inverter (?) you can go even bigger, assuming the 240vac supply can keep up.

Daniel

53 minutes ago, DHutch said:

As said, to advise we really need to know more about when and for what the OP wants to use it.

Obviously his requirements include being able to be left on permanently, for a reasonable size bank. If we then know the use and time between us we can suggest if a smaller 'maintaince' type charger such as a CTEK is enough just to keep it up, or if they need something with a bit more poke to provide good charge, 20-40amp say.  

If you're pulling the power out at the same time, maybe even with an inverter (?) you can go even bigger, assuming the 240vac supply can keep up.

Daniel

You have a point Daniel.  Since the demise of my Mastervolt inverter/charger, with my batteries not too far from full on commencement, my little Ctek mxs5.0 has kept a 400Ah bank floating nicety. It also kept up with my 12V domestic needs too, although it was getting a bit warm when the fridge was drawing current so I took the fuse out. Of course, the batteries provide a buffer if the 12v draw exceeds the power supply capacity temporarily. I now have a Victron 30amp Bluesmart charger, which has no issues keeping up with my 12v domestics at all.

My previous charger was 100 amp, but I've never needed that sort of current from my shore supply charger. Normally I arrive at my berth with a good charge level, so the batteries are back to float pretty quickly. If a charge from very low is required, it'll either take a bit longer at 30 amps or my alternator can do the bulk of the work. The only time when a large charge current is required routinely is when the batteries are depleted overnight when out cruising when, of course, the alternator does the work and the charger is a passenger. The exception to this might be those who perhaps cruise less frequently and use a generator to power their charger.

Edited by Sea Dog
Last sentence.

53 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Daniel

I need a charger for permanently conectod when not on the nb 

24 minutes ago, mross said:

If he is permanently on the mains he doesn't actually need a charger or any batteries.  :D

Sure you can buy a decent 12V power supply for buttons these days, plenty for LED lights, 12V fridge and water pump; but most (98%?) of boaters want something 'fit and forget' and are prepared to pay for it.

7 minutes ago, smileypete said:

Sure you can buy a decent 12V power supply for buttons these days, plenty for LED lights, 12V fridge and water pump; but most (98%?) of boaters want something 'fit and forget' and are prepared to pay for it.

You may have missed my point  If he is on a permanent, residential mooring he does not need 12v.  He could have only 240v sockets and dispense with batteries, inverters and chargers.  We need the OP to tell us how he uses the boat.  I suspect he does not understand why we would like to know all this.  Without such info we can't offer him much useful advice.

7 minutes ago, mross said:

You may have missed my point  If he is on a permanent, residential mooring he does not need 12v.  He could have only 240v sockets and dispense with batteries, inverters and chargers.  We need the OP to tell us how he uses the boat.  I suspect he does not understand why we would like to know all this.  Without such info we can't offer him much useful advice.

He doesn't need an engine either, perhaps have that removed and use the space to stable a horse:)

27 minutes ago, mross said:

I would say 99% of canal and river boats have a 12V pump and some 12V lights (or 24V of course), so my general advice should be appropriate.

If on a mains supplied mooring 24/7 with such a boat, then yes, you don't neeeeed a £££££ charger, but....

If people have some wierd and wonderful setup, chances are they don't need advice. :)

Edited by smileypete