Castle Boats

Motters79

Featured Posts

Hey they peeps. I'm about to press the button on a 2001 55ft trad by Castle Boats. Can't find any info on Thais boat builder. Anyone heard of them or know anything? Are they good? This one certainly seems very nicely built, with a super clean Beta Marine 43. Best of all not a drop of water or a spot of rust in the bilge!

8 minutes ago, Motters79 said:

Hey they peeps. I'm about to press the button on a 2001 55ft trad by Castle Boats. Can't find any info on Thais boat builder. Anyone heard of them or know anything? Are they good? This one certainly seems very nicely built, with a super clean Beta Marine 43. Best of all not a drop of water or a spot of rust in the bilge!

Blimey are you buying two boats as quick as that!!

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Blimey are you buying two boats as quick as that!!

Ha ha, no only buying one. I did put an offer on another one but it's taken the seller 2 weeks to get back to me and now they have, they say they are still thinking about it, so I'm worried how any negotiations post survey might go. Slowly, if at all! Hence looked at more boats in the meantime and turned up this Castle Boats 55 footer. Less money, better nick, better(Beta) engine , but 5 foot shorter and less well equipped heating/hot water wise. Nothing I can't sort though!  Just can't find any info on the builder!

These boats were built by South West Durham Steelcraft (best-known for their CanalTime craft) for sale at Nottingham Castle Marina - unless there is or was a different company also using that name.

You have posted the topic twice, so I have taken the liberty of locking the other one so that all replies to your question will appear on this one.

Edited by Athy

Ahh south west durham steel craft if Athy has remembered correctly. Then they used to build solid boats but methinks they went out of business some years ago. A friend of mine has owned one of theirs for donkeys years. The fitout of course could be good, bad or indifferent.

6 minutes ago, Motters79 said:

Don't think it's them. I've found a few mentions and a very basic webpage for the company. They're based in Worksop.

Then, as that web site includes a telephone number, you could consider ringing them tomorrow and asking if it's one of theirs, perhaps finding something out about its construction and history as well.

To be fair, the one you're interested in (assuming it's 'Voyager') doesn't look much like the one on their web site but does have a family resemblance to SWD boats (note front superstructure shape for example). But one phone call should clarify things for you.

Edited by Athy

35 minutes ago, Motters79 said:

Don't think it's them. I've found a few mentions and a very basic webpage for the company. They're based in Worksop.

In my boatfitting time in the early 0's I used 'Castle' shells. They always delivered on time and to my spec.I never once had to complain about any of their work. Shells were as good as any other mainstream builder at the time..Reason you can't find much info is that it was a 'sideline' as such to their main business,  try looking up Shotblast Supplies. Worksop..hope this helps

Mines a Castle boat, actually ''Castle Cruisers'' but I don't think its one of the Castle boats the OP talks about. Built by a chap in Manchester. John Parkinson. He only built about four all shortish boats and tended to only use old Lister SR2 air cooled engines.

Edited by bizzard

I recently purchased one of theirs second hand, from the original owner. Built in 2000 and owner fit out.  Its an excellent shell very well put together. I think they also did the paintwork, which is ready for re-painting. Not bad after 17 years. I cannot comment on currant workmanship but mine is excellent. Based here on the Chesterfield canal our way out is via the tidal Trent which she handles very very well. I am very satisfied

John  

4 hours ago, John Hartley said:

I recently purchased one of theirs second hand, from the original owner. Built in 2000 and owner fit out.  Its an excellent shell very well put together. I think they also did the paintwork, which is ready for re-painting. Not bad after 17 years. I cannot comment on currant workmanship but mine is excellent. Based here on the Chesterfield canal our way out is via the tidal Trent which she handles very very well. I am very satisfied

John  

That's very encouraging. Thanks John. Mines had the paintwork done in the last few years so it's very tidy. Its also unusual in that it's a trad stern but the roof hatch is the full width of the boat, so it effectively becomes semi trad. Nice! 

We have a similar boat , which has a South West Durham shell with a Castle Marine fit out, built in 2005 and a Beta 38 engine. Originally sold via Nottingham site. There are quite a few of these boats around with lots being built for the Canaltime group. the only difference we have spotted is that the Canaltime boats did not have a door at the bows, otherwise they are similar cruiser stern and rear seat plus a tubular handrail along each side along the roof.  A good fit out in light ash with a Lockgate diesel fired stove.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Castleboatbuilders said:

Hello all, I've just noticed this thread. My name is Neil Ferguson from Castle Boat Builders in Worksop. We are still up and running and busy as always. If anyone would like to contact us please feel free to do so. My contact details are 01909 478250

Thank you Neil.

Hi Neil..nice to hear you're still producing quality shells..see my ref in post 8..if i was still fitting I wouldn't hesitate to use you again....lan

We have a 2015 Castle Boat. It's beautifully made with excellent attention to detail & I would definitely recommend their shells. Ours is undergoing an interior re-fit as the original owners happily lived onboard full-time with only very basic fittings, a woodburner, portapotti and a foot-pump cold-water tap.

Hi Ian, talk about the devil I was only talking about you a few days ago!  I hope you are well? It would be good to catch up at some point if you fancy a chat?

I did recognise your comment on post 8 which put a smile on my face, thankyou for your positive input Ian.

Hi Clodi, I hope you are well and are enjoying your boat, I would love to see a few photos of the work you have done so far. Progressive photos are always great to see!

We do have a web site which is still being developed www.castleboatbuilders.co.uk   

A very positive thread thankyou all.

Neil Ferguson

01909 478250

• 2 weeks later...