Corrosion in holding tank.

Tigerr

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

All cassettes are plastic :cheers:

I know that ? We have a cassette loo on gamebird and while the operation is fine, I am not  keen on having to spend my precious cruising time  trying to find out where there is an Elsan and then when finding one, not knowing (but having  a pretty good idea) what state it would be in. Not my idea of relaxing, carefree boating ? . I love my pump out loo with its big tank. It never smells and when I use it I can forget about "things" till the next time we need a pumpout, after about 6 weeks use.  It is even better as that often coincides with the boat being left on its mooring and Halsall very kindly pumps it out in our absence,

What's not to like?

I just don't see the attraction of trotting along the towpath carrying a box of s*** and holding my nose as I empty and rinse it but as they say, "there's nowt so queer as folk". ? 

haggis

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, haggis said:

I know that ? We have a cassette loo on gamebird and while the operation is fine, I am not  keen on having to spend my precious cruising time  trying to find out where there is an Elsan and then when finding one, not knowing (but having  a pretty good idea) what state it would be in. Not my idea of relaxing, carefree boating ? . I love my pump out loo with its big tank. It never smells and when I use it I can forget about "things" till the next time we need a pumpout, after about 6 weeks use.  It is even better as that often coincides with the boat being left on its mooring and Halsall very kindly pumps it out in our absence,

What's not to like?

I just don't see the attraction of trotting along the towpath carrying a box of s*** and holding my nose as I empty and rinse it but as they say, "there's nowt so queer as folk". ? 

haggis

? This boat has a non smelling macerator bog, we use a porta bog most of the time though. One point that always gets me when people mention it is why oh why would you need to trot along the towpath with the cassette? I just pull up at the service point as I do for the pumpout and move it a few feet into the elsan. Its not obligatory to moor a mile away and carry it.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

I just pull up at the service point as I do for the pumpout and move it a few feet into the elsan. Its not obligatory to moor a mile away and carry it.

I would guess (location dependent) that there cannot be many days when cruising you don't pass a sanny station. (Maybe London ?)

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I would guess (location dependent) that there cannot be many days when cruising you don't pass a sanny station. (Maybe London ?)

Correct. The same cannot however be said of pumpout facilities. 

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Correct. The same cannot however be said of pumpout facilities. 

Ah, but you don't need pump out facilities so often ? . OK you can moor right at the services (assuming no one is there already either temporarily or long term)  but you  probably still have the problem of facing a stinking Elsan. I would rather not  have to stop at all even if I don't have to encounter a stinking Elsan -). We have a big water tank and don't generate much rubbish so we don't have to waste precious boating time at services.

haggis

1 minute ago, haggis said:

Ah, but you don't need pump out facilities so often ?

That is correct - but 2 cassettes last the two of us 6-7, days (1 cassette can last 4 days occasionally)

We will always be on the move every 3-4-5 days so its never a problem.

Like many things in life - "each to their own"

• Greenie 1