How to take the shine off a good day's cruise.....

Wanderer Vagabond

Featured Posts

Getting back to the original posting; I found myself with no choice but to plough through thick ice once. I accepted that my blacking would be damaged but... come the next time the boat was lifted out, I could see no evidence of ice damage. 

And another observation; perhaps the angry man was in a plastic boat? I have heard it said that passing a plastic boat through a frozen canal can damage the plastic boat. I am not sure that this is really true but it is an opinion I have heard a few times.

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Yep, you can ask for a cob all over the midlands, not just in the Black Country. You ask for a Tea Cake up here in the North, or a Barm over Manchester way. 

(Tea cakes don't  have currants in. If you want a tea cake with currants, you have to make sure you ask for a tea cake with currants) 

All of which are bread cakes.

21 minutes ago, WJM said:

Getting back to the original posting; I found myself with no choice but to plough through thick ice once. I accepted that my blacking would be damaged but... come the next time the boat was lifted out, I could see no evidence of ice damage. 

And another observation; perhaps the angry man was in a plastic boat? I have heard it said that passing a plastic boat through a frozen canal can damage the plastic boat. I am not sure that this is really true but it is an opinion I have heard a few times.

Having crunched our way through plenty of ice with our plastic boat and suffered no damage to the hull at all then I would suspect a lot of these tales of damaged boats are figments of someones imagination.

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Having crunched our way through plenty of ice with our plastic boat and suffered no damage to the hull at all then I would suspect a lot of these tales of damaged boats are figments of someones imagination.

When I had "Lucy" a shard of ice went through a soft bit of plank once.

On an icy morning I'd wait for the first pinging of the ice breaking then wander down and ask the approaching boat to pass as close as possible to Lucy so no subsequent boats would be pushing the ice onto her.

I'd then walk back and try to break up as much ice as possible around the hull with the boat shaft before they arrived.

2 minutes ago, carlt said:

When I had "Lucy" a shard of ice went through a soft bit of plank once.

On an icy morning I'd wait for the first pinging of the ice breaking then wander down and ask the approaching boat to pass as close as possible to Lucy so no subsequent boats would be pushing the ice onto her.

I'd then walk back and try to break up as much ice as possible around the hull with the boat shaft before they arrived.

Would it not have been easier to just put some ice boards down?

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

Would it not have been easier to just put some ice boards down?

I used ice boards and watched them being pushed out of the way as the ice hit them.

If your home is an old, fragile wooden boat then there is no shame in deploying both belts and braces.

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Or getting it fixed. :o

When I joined Canalworld many years ago I had already accepted that my change in circumstances meant that I wasn't in a position to restore Lucy, hence my first post here admitting it.

I passed the boat on nearly a decade ago to someone with the resources and time that I didn't have and Lucy is still on the hard, making slow progress.

It isn't as simple as "getting it fixed".

6 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

That's an oxymoron

Oxymoron or not that is what they are.

8 minutes ago, carlt said:

When I joined Canalworld many years ago I had already accepted that my change in circumstances meant that I wasn't in a position to restore Lucy, hence my first post here admitting it.

I passed the boat on nearly a decade ago to someone with the resources and time that I didn't have and Lucy is still on the hard, making slow progress.

It isn't as simple as "getting it fixed".

Not quite as simple as getting it fixed for these guys either!

http://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachting-boating-world/lorry-gets-stuck-in-cornish-village-street-whilst-carrying-fishing-boat-ocean-pride-62141

More trouble then they are worth these wooden hulks :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not the first boat to fail the windy streets to a boatyard....Nothing to do with its construction material either.

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You may be right...

Many folk disagree though.

6 minutes ago, carlt said:

Not the first boat to fail the windy streets to a boatyard....Nothing to do with its construction material either.

You may be right...

Many folk disagree though.

If that were the case they wouldn't be languishing on the market failing to find rose tinted spectacle wearing enthusiastic new owners.

On 03/12/2017 at 20:19, matty40s said:

We had a lovely cruise today towards the next chosen mooring spot, overcast but the sun was there somewhere, chugged along feeding the ducks and swans as we passed. 

A lovely crispy cob filled with bacon, mushrooms and eggs appeared magically from the galley as we cruised along. mmmm

Came round the corner towards the water point and there was a bloody boater there filling up.

Incensed.

Anger,

Rage.

Complete tosser, I took his CRT number to report him and then decided to take direct action as I couldn't wait to fill the tank until March 16th when the boating season restarts.

I steered directly at his boat, hitting him at 5 knots, must have snapped a couple of welds as his boat sunk to the bottom of the river within 2 minutes.

Fantastic result as not only could I fill up. but his water hose was on the bank still running so I didn't even need to get mine out of the under deck storage compartment.

That'll teach 'em.

;)

You may want to reword your post. Then again you may not.

feeding ducks and swans, then tucking into a Cob garnished with bacon and mushrooms.

edited to add that I ought to read the who,e thread to the very end before attempting to be a little humorous. 

Edited by Nightwatch

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

Yep, you can ask for a cob all over the midlands, not just in the Black Country. You ask for a Tea Cake up here in the North, or a Barm over Manchester way. 

(Tea cakes don't  have currants in. If you want a tea cake with currants, you have to make sure you ask for a tea cake with currants) 

Good try -- but I ask for a butty, and it comes in the form of a filled barm. A 'chip barm' is not unknown though!

Balm cake when I wer dragged up in Chorley. I wer a sensible lad when little. I had t'pence spending money and bought a balm cake from t'corner shop on t'way ome from school. EE them wer t'days.

sonedays I would buy a serbert dip or sometimes three penny arrow bars. I loved the banana split ones.

Edited by Nightwatch

32 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

If that were the case they wouldn't be languishing on the market failing to find rose tinted spectacle wearing enthusiastic new owners.

Like the whole of the boat market a well kept wooden boat will sell quickly at a good price (sometimes a better than expected price thanks to those rose tinted specs).

There is no shortage of plastic hulks lying unloved and neglected on the hard, just as there are plenty of ageing steel clonecraft not selling because of tea bag hulls.

All they are waiting for is someone who can see beyond the moss, peeling paint and rust.

There are also some fine GRP boats making excellent money and some immaculate steel narrowboats that will sell as soon as they hit the market.

This is my current lottery "tender" ...

Westenholme.png

though sadly my lottery boat it would serve has now sold...

Cataloger.Image.php?i=ilona_f_1_895_1.jp

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Good try -- but I ask for a butty, and it comes in the form of a filled barm. A 'chip barm' is not unknown though!

Can't remember the name of the pub that was selling Barms for a quid but my mate visiting wouldn't believe me when I explained they were rolls/batches/cobs/baps. He's originally a Londoner. Barms £1 was written on one of them yellow cardboard stars and pinned close to the optics. He was sure it was something to drink until I asked the barmaid what was in the barms and she gave options for the fillings. 

5 hours ago, WJM said:

Your experience of ice-breaking is the same as mine. I ploughed through some quite thick ice on the Ashby last year knowing the boat was going to be blacked later in the year so expected to see some paint scrubbed off. When we lifted her out there was no damage at all, even on the bow that does most of the breaking.

Mr angry man was in a steel narrow boat.

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Oxymoron or not that is what they are.

Not quite as simple as getting it fixed for these guys either!

http://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachting-boating-world/lorry-gets-stuck-in-cornish-village-street-whilst-carrying-fishing-boat-ocean-pride-62141

A guy I sail with has often quoted the adage to me that if you don't like someone, give them a boat (a hole into which they can pour money); if you really hate them you'd give them a wooden boat:rolleyes:

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

5 hours ago, Athy said:

Isn't butty, in the comestible sense, a Liverpudlian word? Certainly it became popular after the rise of The Beatles and Merseybeat.

It is certainly in common use in Ellesmere Port but as us portites are absolutely not scousers it doesn't help you much :)

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

It is certainly in common use in Ellesmere Port but as us portites are absolutely not scousers it doesn't help you much :)

Also common in most of Lancashire when I grew up there in the 50's and early 60's.

One of my aunts was very fond of a sugar butty.