How to take the shine off a good day's cruise.....

Wanderer Vagabond

Featured Posts

On 06/12/2017 at 00:50, Mike the Boilerman said:

Which reminds me of that old skoolboy joke...

Q: "Do you have a pen?"

A: "Yes"

Response: "Well get back in it, you pig!"

Well it made me laugh, back in the day...

I remember a Turkish friend was making an order from the brewery and the person on the other end said “I need to give you the order number, do you have a pen handy?”

my friend replied “ what’s a penhandy?”

In Lancashire there are also Muffins and Oven Bottom Muffins, and latterly a Frisbee, an 8" dia. Tea cake. Wonderful, filled with Bacon, mushrooms and black pudding.

Mind you I was brought up when Muffin the Mule was considered to be bestiality.

No matter how slowly you were travelling, breaking the ice in the middle of the cut would cause the ice immediately around his moored boat to rub/knock/scrape against his boat. Nothing you could do about it, and he should have had the sense to realise that. 

• Greenie 1

On 05/12/2017 at 22:56, Mike the Boilerman said:

A cob is the Black Country name what normal people would call a crusty roll.

Cob is also used very commonly in Nottingham although soft rather than crusty bun would be more like the item provided. . A roll is  more cylindrical and in nottingham would probably have icing on it rather than an iced bun is round. If anyone from Sheffield went into a cob shop and asked for a horse they might be disappointed  to find no live animals for sale. Ay up me duck!

In sheffield a Fishcake is called a Rissole - or was when i lived there around 1980. Do Sheffield folk  still call everyone 'Love' ?

A teacake without currents would be sent back as defective in some parts.

Cob is also a historic but now little used  building material - clay  straw and possibly lime or horse muck . But like the horses it is not sold in cob shops.

Edited by MartynG