Aluminium Gangplank

baldlimey

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, baldlimey said:

I've seen the miracle leisure ladder come gangplank but was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere that supplied ali gang planks not built on a ladder? 

Cheers

Pete

I have an ali gangplank it was on the boat from new and somewhere!!! I have the bill for who supplied it that came with the boat when I bought it off the original owner. I will have a look and see if I can find it. If I don't post back then I couldn't find it.

23 minutes ago, baldlimey said:

I've seen the miracle leisure ladder come gangplank but was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere that supplied ali gang planks not built on a ladder? 

Cheers

Pete

Midland Chandlers used to sell ally gang planks. Don’t know if they still do. They were a lot more expensive than an old scaffold board and so probably not a great seller. 

Edited by WotEver
Fix autocorrect

16 minutes ago, baldlimey said:

Thank you for looking

Pete

Hi Pete

Found it. Came from a company called PCP Gratings ltd Wolverhampton I can give u address if needed. Tel numbers 01902 791792. Description is Aluminium 03 cut plank 200/45mm deep x 2000mm long it was 88.36 inc vat in October 2008.

I suppose you can have more or less any length you want looking at the bill. Its worth a phone call to see if still trading etc. :cheers:

2 hours ago, pearley said:

I got a scrap aluminium ladder from the tip and riveted aluminium chequer plate on top. Cost about £40

I did the same, but got a local engineering firm to bend the chequerplate I to a "u" section, so that it is held in place on the ladder by the "spring" in the shallow sides of the "u" . This makes it quick and easy to change from gangplank to ladder and back again. Cost £30.

I went the ladder/chequer plate route, folding ladder made it smaller for stowing, but the handiest feature by far was the ability to fix it to the side deck and morning pinned into the bank at t'other end. Vital really, seen loads of unattended boats with its gangplank floating in the cut or all askew across the rear deck. 

I posted a pic of it here years ago, can't find it though (or be arsed to try) 

Loads of them abandoned up on mount Everest going for free. The things mountaineers cross holes and crevasses on.  Flights from London Heathrow.... Jet Airways, change at Delhi to Himalaya airlines for Katmandu,  then start walking, take wellies, gloves, scarf, bobble hat and toilet roll.

Edited by bizzard
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rustydiver said:

Its a ladder with aluminium chequer plate panel clipped onto it so can be used as a gang plank, there is a photo on the web site. 

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 08.39.59.png

I know. I was making a facetious comment about the previous photo, showing a bloke climbing a ladder out of the water. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I know. I was making a facetious comment about the previous photo, showing a bloke climbing a ladder out of the water. 

"I've seen the miracle leisure ladder come gangplank but was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere that supplied ali gang planks not built on a ladder? 

Cheers

Pete" 

I actually used to have one. I never used it though for several reasons. Firstly it was a bit short for use on the K&A and you just don’t need one anywhere else. Secondly despite being ally it was significantly heavier and clumsier to handle than my plain wooden gangplank. And thirdly it didn’t float, so if I dropped in, recovering it meant messing about with the boathook. 

I gave it away in the end. 

• Happy 1

59 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I always thought that bloke looks real miserable but then I would if I was told to get down the ladder with water around my nads for a photo I would to. 

56 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I actually used to have one. I never used it though for several reasons. Firstly it was a bit short for use on the K&A and you just don’t need one anywhere else. Secondly despite being ally it was significantly heavier and clumsier to handle than my plain wooden gangplank. And thirdly it didn’t float, so if I dropped in, recovering it meant messing about with the boathook. 

I do agree with you. The only time i use mine is the plate on top is on the Gloucester Sharpness Canal to put it down over the growth on the bank summer time to flatten it down. They do sink very quickly. And heavy to get out off the water because they fill up with water on the inside. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

All very true. Two things we never use are a boat pole and a plank. The ali plank is sat ont roof and I balance sacks of coal on it int winter apart from that its unused. Last time I used a pole is over twenty years ago so another ornament.

51 minutes ago, rustydiver said:

I do agree with you. The only time i use mine is the plate on top is on the Gloucester Sharpness Canal to put it down over the growth on the bank summer time to flatten it down. They do sink very quickly. And heavy to get out off the water because they fill up with water on the inside. 

Fill the inside with expanding builders foam.  Stops the water getting in and adds buoyancy in its own right.

George