Christmas present book idea

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Now's the time when many of us are scratching our heads for Christmas present ideas for loved ones.  So may I suggest this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hidden-Nature-Discovery-Alys-Fowler/dp/1473623006/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512056910&sr=8-1&keywords=alys+fowler+hidden+nature

Now I must declare an interest.  The author is a good friend of mine.  She's better known as the Guardian gardening columnist and former Gardeners World presenter, but with this book she embarked on a mini-adventure.  Due to her husband's illness, her quest for adventure needed to be confined to the city she lives in, so she got a little inflatable boat and set off to the explore the canals of Birmingham.  What came out of that is this book, which is about canals, but also about plants and wildlife, history, adventure, friendship, relationships and coming out as a lesbian when you're a married woman approaching middle age...

I think it's great, but obviously I'm biased.  I'm also in it quite a bit, as are the canals around Birmingham.  The BCN Challenge also gets a whole chapter devoted to it.  It was the year where we all spent hours queuing up to moor at Bradley Workshops (Alys had already left by then, to get back to her husband).

Anyway, it came out earlier this year, and some of you may be interested.  Available in all good bookshops...

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Is her name Alys pronounced Alice or Alees or something else?

Alice.  We also have an Amy-Alys on this forum do we not?

Alys is the Welsh/Pretentious/Cool spelling - delete as applicable.

15 hours ago, Dave_P said:

Alice.  We also have an Amy-Alys on this forum do we not?

Alys is the Welsh/Pretentious/Cool spelling - delete as applicable.

It would need an extra Y, 2 Ws and 3 Ds to be the Welsh version if my observations are correct.

• Haha 1