Good grip boating shoes or boots.

Philip

Featured Posts

On 30/11/2017 at 16:49, 1st ade said:

I bought a pair of http://www.amazon.com/Original-S-W-A-T-Mens-Classic-Side/dp/B007RLD0DO following a similar discussion on this forum last year. Seem to do the trick but as others have said, some surfaces NOTHING will get a grip on!

The side zip is handy when trying to get the boots off before the dog spreads his muddy paws over all the internal furnishings after a relaxing (for him) walk

5a20365ebecef_MuddyDog.jpg.aabad5da12d00aacd50fc862eff8e21f.jpg

Needs two pairs of Slush Puppies.

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 08:15, Philip said:

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided to splash out a bit on the Portwest SRC rated boots I mentioned above - I was tempted by the waterproof 'feature'.

This is an excellent thread - please do keep us informed as to how they actually perform in use on the cut!

[q]My altberg boots had Vibram soles - they couldn't even get a grip on reality, let alone a wet lock gate. [/q]

This probably depended on the design of the sole. Vibram is a company name - they sell (among other things) different soles to other footwear manufacturers. The one I linked is designed for wet, icy surfaces.

FWIW: I spend more time on ice than most, because in winter I skate on lakes for exercise, which involves walking to/from the lake shore. As a side effect I've learned to make sure I pick "winter soles" rather than e.g. something optimized for summer/road use. Different shoes with soles that appear similar can have very different grip on cold and or icy surfaces. e.g. something designed to grip by moulding itself to the surface is good on roads, but might get hard at sub-zero temperatures and hardly grip at all. This happened to me once (a bad choice on my part), and I couldn't even walk on a near-flat surface of hard snow.

Off Topic:
I can't see a "quote" button any more. This is almost certainly due to JavaScript security setting (the tools I use donät get along, and I can't "whitelist" any more).
Is there a way to create a quote "manually"?. On some sites the [q][/q] does this, but not here.

Edited by Gordias

That works, but the q must be in full - quote

Like this:

Thanks a 1 000 000!

PS: When I edited this one it showed all the generated HTML tags, which is interesting. Does the site run on something called IPS.Suite or similar? Edited by Gordias

2 hours ago, Gordias said:

I can't see a "quote" button any more. This is almost certainly due to JavaScript security setting (the tools I use donät get along, and I can't "whitelist" any more).
Is there a way to create a quote "manually"?. On some sites the [q][/q] does this, but not here.

Do you know you can highlight a section of text and a "Quote This" flag will pop up? Click on that and it displays the quoted text in a new post like I've just done. 

Do you know you can highlight a section of text and a "Quote This" flag will pop up? Click on that and it displays the quoted text in a new post like I've just done.

Thanks for the info - I didn't know this, and I wish I had known it back when I was posting more, and I didn't have this technical problem.

Not sure if anyone cares, but FWIW JavaScript is a programming language, and it's interesting because (a) the code runs in the browser, not on the system that runs the site, and (b) it's used for most browser-based attacks on user systems. It's also used for a lot of good stuff BTW ( 3-D graphical buttons (nice for users), smart ads (nice for site owners), ad blocking (opinions differ between users and site owners :)

My security software for controlling JavaScript in my browser is a bit broken at the moment: it's not getting along with the tech used for the site, and I can't figure out how to change that. For the moment, I'll have to go with manually adding tags for quotes :(

Edited by Gordias

Perhaps you could fully uninstall the browser, run Ccleaner to remove the remnants and then reinstall.  This should take less than ten minutes.  I do it quite often.  Or, you could try diabling all extensions?

Edited by mross

I think this is something I'm doing to myself via security settings, rather than a bug.

I got the same problem on two different systems (Win 10 and Win 8 respectively) each running the correct level of Firefox. In Firefox I run noScript with fairly strict limits on what I allow, Request Policy, and Ghostery.
All three do related but not identical things, and I suspect I've set them up in a way that makes them interfere with each other.

Exactly the same setup used to work ok, but there's a continual "bats and moths" mutual evolution thing going on between sites that make money from ads, users that want to control ads, and malicious parties that want to steal data and/or do other "bad stuff". Now that the NSA have started forcing suppliers to add "backdoors" to all kinds of products for them to steal data (I suppose I should add a fourth category for this, since it's immoral but not illegal /sigh), it's all become too messy for my taste.

BTW: I used to sound even more paranoid before Snowden's disclosures, but I was proven right. You're not paranoid if "they" really are out to get you :) Not that I have anything interesting to hide, but I'm not happy that so many governments have decided they can just steal private information without anything resembling "due process".

Edited by Gordias

Non-slip on ice, especially wet ice, depends on the sole of the boot interacting somehow with the ice surface, usually by digging into it.  Wearing crampons is perhaps going a bit far, but if you don't want to shell out the best part of £200 for Vibram's new technology, then here's a selection of lightweight additions to boots and shoes. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snow-Ice-Grips-Shoes-Size/dp/B0045YPQA6  Don't forget to take them off before you walk on your parquet floor, though!

I use the SWAT boots and have never slipped in them, my first pair had steel toe caps , they were seven years old when the sole split, my new pair arn't steel toe caps and are just as comfy. The Mrs uses Doc Martins and I can always get my boots off and be beside the fire before her ... the side zips are great.

8 minutes ago, smileypete said:

Wrap your shoes in chicken wire?

(I'm surprised Mr Bizzard hasn't suggested this... :))

You are forgetting his already patented "''Extra Special SuperMulti-Sucker Soled Plimsoles'' - see post 12

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, 1agos said:

I use the SWAT boots and have never slipped in them, my first pair had steel toe caps , they were seven years old when the sole split, my new pair arn't steel toe caps and are just as comfy. The Mrs uses Doc Martins and I can always get my boots off and be beside the fire before her ... the side zips are great.

Do you have to shout, " HUT HUT HUT" when you work locks?