Safety from economic migrants in France

babylek

Featured Posts

I have not. Then again, if I had problems with someone I'd probably prioritise sorting the problem rather than trying to establish their status as an economic migrant flooding Europe.

Of course, as a boater, I am against floods as a matter of principle.

40 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

Is that you, Jayda?

What does this mean?

If you look at Baby's previous threads you'll find that he intends to cruise the French canals in a Dutch barge and has been carefully investigating diverse aspects of them in advance. Finding out if there are "no-go" areas on the French network is a prudent move - just as other posters on here have asked if it's safe to go along the Ashton Canal or through the centre of Brum.

My recent personal experience extends only to the Canal de Garonne, Canal de Montech and River Baise, and we encountered no anti-social people of any kind there. Others on here have far wider experience of the French network and will, I'm sure, be able to offer more information.

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

If you look at Baby's previous threads you'll find that he intends to cruise the French canals in a Dutch barge and has been carefully investigating diverse aspects of them in advane. Finding out if there are "no-go" areas on the French network is a prudent move - just as other posters on here have asked if it's safe to go along the Ashton Canal or through the centre of Brum.

Other posters manage to ask such questions without specifically assuming who might be causing the problems, or using deliberately emotive language like "flooded Europe", though.

Unlike you, obviously, I think the original post is out of order.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Angry 1

23 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Other posters manage to ask such questions without specifically assuming who might be causing the problems, or using deliberately emotive language like "flooded Europe", though.

Unlike you, obviously, I think the original post is out of order.

Had I been asking it, I would most probably have phrased it differently, but we all have our different ways of expressing ourselves, and indeed our different worries.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Had I been asking it, I would most probably have phrased it differently, but we all have our different ways of expressing ourselves, and indeed our different worries.

Yes some choose to frame their question in a less offensive manner which leaves far less scope for mickey taking.

25 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

I live just outside Carcasspnne on the canal du Midi and have not heard of any problems with recent migrants.

Did the Du Midi from the Sete end to the jcn with the Garrone & had no problems of any kind seemed to be less footfall on & around the towpath than a couple of years back, the problems I guess are more likely confined to the cities & gatherings of more people If it's terrorist activates you are referring to Rural France is not a good place as the chaos caused would be very limited due to the limited #of people/ buildings

6 hours ago, babylek said:

Has anyone on the French canals had any problems with the economic migrants that have flooded Europe?

We go to France once sometimes twice a year and it's just awful. We have been held up many many times now and robbed on the Autoroute too many times to mention.

Last time we came back with the caravan there was a whole family of Somali's that had taken up residence whilst we were waiting to catch the Eurotunnel train, they were nice enough but left the caravan in an awful state.

My advice would be to keep away.

25 minutes ago, MJG said:

We go to France once sometimes twice a year and it's just awful. We have been held up many many times now and robbed on the Autoroute too many times to mention.

Last time we came back with the caravan there was a whole family of Somali's that had taken up residence whilst we were waiting to catch the Eurotunnel train, they were nice enough but left the caravan in an awful state.

:D That'd be a "no", then.

We Northerners know all about subtle humour.

2 hours ago, MJG said:

If you use the RN or D roads rather than the auoroute the robbers are much more refined the squirrels & the occasional boar only seem to want food rather than your jewelry

Edited by X Alan W