Wolverhampton Locks

jddevel

Featured Posts

Would like some advice please. We`re going to be travelling from Aldersley Junction down the Old Main Line through the Wolverhampton Locks en-route  to the North Staffs in the next couple of weeks-there are no closures- Not sure we want to attempt them all in one day or even be able to so where does one suggest we could break the journey please?

The bottom five locks of the Wolverhampton 21 are quite spread out but not the rest, so you could do those five then stop overnight if your crew don't have the energy to do all 21 in one go.

Last time we did that the pound drained overnight and I cooked breakfast one pan at a time because the galley had a 10 degree list.

There are some moorings available just beyond the top of the flight, handy for Wolverhampton town centre.

As stated above there are longer pounds lower down but I also agree with the sentiment that it's not a place I would plan to stop. Three hours should see you to the top (if indeed you are going up). The locks are straightforward but have a ready supply of anti-vandal keys. I think every paddle on every lock needs one and it gets a bit tedious.

JP

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

As stated above there are longer pounds lower down but I also agree with the sentiment that it's not a place I would plan to stop. Three hours should see you to the top (if indeed you are going up). The locks are straightforward but have a ready supply of anti-vandal keys. I think every paddle on every lock needs one and it gets a bit tedious.

JP

But last time we did it everything worked,not hard work just a lot of it.

When we travel the Wolverhampton flight we aim to moor on the Bentley Canal arm, it's only 30 mins from Horseley Fields Junc near the top lock and in our opinion better mooring than at HFJ, which we found noisy (mainly Police cars leaving their Station throughout the night. There is also  a Sainsbury's and other retail outlets if needed and  

Sorry made a major error. Should have typed NORTH STRATFORD canal. Don`t know what came over me sorry. However the subject of "anti- vandal" orhand-cuff keys. keys have been raised. Being  new to all this and not having ever having had to use them on paddles before. Am I to assume these are the same keys as used at water points please? If not where can I obtain them please?

No they are a piece of steel rod with a square hole in one end and a t piece handle at the other  they are inserted into a tube on the lock gear and a quarter turn releases the stop bar mechanism, to reset (lock) it you just push the stop bar until it clicks.     they look like this image.png.e4949df5e8ca482e280fb037e9f1a1d1.png

• Greenie 2

44 minutes ago, Detling said:

No they are a piece of steel rod with a square hole in one end and a t piece handle at the other  they are inserted into a tube on the lock gear and a quarter turn releases the stop bar mechanism, to reset (lock) it you just push the stop bar until it clicks.     they look like this image.png.e4949df5e8ca482e280fb037e9f1a1d1.png

Thanks for that. Have got one of those although as I mentioned have yet to use it. Will get another-sound advice.

1 hour ago, jddevel said:

Sorry made a major error. Should have typed NORTH STRATFORD canal. Don`t know what came over me sorry. However the subject of "anti- vandal" orhand-cuff keys. keys have been raised. Being  new to all this and not having ever having had to use them on paddles before. Am I to assume these are the same keys as used at water points please? If not where can I obtain them please?

Makes sense that you don't want to do Autherley to the North Stratford on one day. Not sure where to suggest for a stop other than central Birmingham though. 

1 minute ago, magpie patrick said:

Makes sense that you don't want to do Autherley to the North Stratford on one day. Not sure where to suggest for a stop other than central Birmingham though. 

Quite, centre of Birmingham is an obvious stop if you want to do it in the minimum time.  From centre of Birmingham an easy 6 hours will get you to Hockley Heath.

Yes Tipton is the obvious place to stop, or adjacent at the BCLM. We have done Autherley to Central Brum in a day but it’s a fairly long one and if you are slow through locks (single handed, not really that accustomed to it) I don’t think it’s feasible and especially not at this time of year in daylight.

a  month ago myself and mister done the 21 in about 3 hours 40 ...mind you it was one of those rare times when every thing went the way we wanted it to go ...and as most boaters now that is a rare day indeed lol .i would say about 45 mins after lock one ...nice mooring at bentley bridge