Ronald Moore, artist

Heartland

Featured Posts

There are at least two Ronnies, involved in the art world. This Ronald Moore studied art in Birmingham and then Oxford (1961-1968). From time to time paintings by this artist come up for sale and some include his interpretation of Birmingham Canal scenes. On his website, Mr Moore, states how he carefully drew from memory to paint various examples of Birmingham Canals in the 1960's. They are all atmospheric views showing various industries along the canal, side. In one recently sold painting he placed a good representation of the Locomotive Bridge (Huddersfield Canal) in the centre of Birmingham.   So is his method artistic licence or has he crossed the border to total fantasy?

I rather like those, and would suggest that he has been influenced strongly by L.S.Lowry, who is one of my favourite artists. I think that Ronald Moore has captured the prevailing 1960's atmopsphere very well.

Edited by David Schweizer

19 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I rather like those, and would suggest that he has been influenced strongly by L.S.Lowry, who is one of my favourite artists. I think that Ronald Moore has captured the prevailing 1960's atmopsphere very well.

Atmospheric?  Yes. Accurate? Definitely not! I don't recall many BCN dayboat cabins with Mississippi paddle steamer funnel style chimneys!

• 5 weeks later...

My canal paintings are mainly based on the Black Country Museum Dudley tho some are from older drawings and photos from c 1961 in Birmingham.  ( when I was at Bham art college)     They are all generic and do not attempt to accurately portray boats and canals but more to create light and atmosphere using some of the shapes and images from that period... Often I will reverse images, crop them and rearrange them to create a composition.  You are rarely able to identify a precise location in my art with precise narrow boat detail. The camera can do that more accurately. However I had not considered that canal enthusiasts would look at the accuracy of each boat so I may look at that more carefully in the future, as I had to with colliery paintings and locomotives.

my work may be seen on www.moorerestoration.wordpress.com    and most is based on landscapes in the Golden Valley Herefordshire

Ronald Moore  BA Hons  Courtauld Institute of Art. NDD. C. Ed. AIIC

20171113_135452 (3) (800x633).jpg

On 11/28/2017 at 13:23, Heartland said:

There are at least two Ronnies, involved in the art world. This Ronald Moore studied art in Birmingham and then Oxford (1961-1968). From time to time paintings by this artist come up for sale and some include his interpretation of Birmingham Canal scenes. On his website, Mr Moore, states how he carefully drew from memory to paint various examples of Birmingham Canals in the 1960's. They are all atmospheric views showing various industries along the canal, side. In one recently sold painting he placed a good representation of the Locomotive Bridge (Huddersfield Canal) in the centre of Birmingham.   So is his method artistic licence or has he crossed the border to total fantasy?

there is another Ronald Moore.. now deceased , who came from Gateshead and painted northern scenes including canals , in watercolour. My works are large oil paintings.  I rather think you refer to him here. Not that I would hestitate to include bridge and buildings from anywhere if it helped the composition. I am a painter , not really recording specific places with accuracy although many can be identified.  Thank you for your interest Heartland...  Ron Moore

On 11/28/2017 at 13:40, philjw said:

This looks like the artist's web site:

https://moorerestoration.wordpress.com/category/urban-landscape/

There was one of his pictures in a shop near Worcester cathedral this summer.

indeed it is..thank you...Ron Moore

12 hours ago, Ronald Moore said:

My canal paintings are mainly based on the Black Country Museum Dudley tho some are from older drawings and photos from c 1961 in Birmingham.  ( when I was at Bham art college)     They are all generic and do not attempt to accurately portray boats and canals but more to create light and atmosphere using some of the shapes and images from that period... Often I will reverse images, crop them and rearrange them to create a composition.  You are rarely able to identify a precise location in my art with precise narrow boat detail. The camera can do that more accurately. However I had not considered that canal enthusiasts would look at the accuracy of each boat so I may look at that more carefully in the future, as I had to with colliery paintings and locomotives.

my work may be seen on www.moorerestoration.wordpress.com    and most is based on landscapes in the Golden Valley Herefordshire

Ronald Moore  BA Hons  Courtauld Institute of Art. NDD. C. Ed. AIIC

20171113_135452 (3) (800x633).jpg

Did you frequent the BCN doing sketches or paintings during the laying of the gas pipelines in 67/8 ? as I remember a man with artistic kit at various points at the time of digging/layingor was it some other artist? I have never seen any drawings/pictures from that time

13 hours ago, Ronald Moore said:

I had not considered that canal enthusiasts would look at the accuracy of each boat so I may look at that more carefully in the future, as I had to with colliery paintings and locomotives.

Welcome to the forum, Ron

Many are enthusiasts in both fields, only the subtleties of boats can be more elusive than railway locomotives. It sounds like you are used to this sort of criticism though

On the other hand, you may be about to expand your knowledge in a new and interesting way

Richard

Edited by RLWP

3 minutes ago, Ronald Moore said:

oh yes.. ex colliers noting Tonypany actually had 4 cables not 3  etc...

Four rubbing strakes around the counter, not three

You get the idea

Just for your interest, the problem with your boat's chimney is, you've put it in the middle of the roof. That chimney is for the cabin stove, which is always fitted at the side, usually the left side

traditional-narrowboat-with-fellows-mort

Richard

5 minutes ago, Ronald Moore said:

duly noted..thanks.. I have many narrow boat images in Gas Street Basin too..  we used to jump across the canal lock there as students. I see theres a notice now and rails to prevent it.

And a bridge

I'd love to see photos of Gas Street

Richard

The ones I saw were definitely yours, and also recall the one you have posted. As a canal historian I look at art from time to time. There are many occasions where colour is of use to a historian, when there is an apparent reasonable accuracy in the painting or watercolour.

What you do is create a fine atmosphere of a period now gone and people appreciate the balance that is created. It is nice to see how it is done. A because it is art and not a photographic representation, that makes the process worthwhile.

As to accuracy there are times when it does help research. Albert Dunnington produced a fine painting of Barton Lock and Aqueduct in 1893 before they were swept away. There is certain amount of artistic interpretation, such as the vessel under sail when it should have been horse drawn and the boat in the lock might deserve a critical eye. Yet the general view of aqueduct, lock cottage and lock appears close to what existed as the the dress and clothing of the people present also appears to be.

786038.jpg

Sailing barges certainly worked on the Bridgewater and L&LC, as discussed in my article http://www.mikeclarke.myzen.co.uk/Sailing-barges.htm, though the use of sail on the canal would probably have been unusual. Narrow boats on the Mersey & Irwell may also have been unusual, though I am glad to see it has a water barrel, rather than the cans used further south. The lock has what were called slapping posts on the L&LC. They were the posts against which the balance beam hit, ensuring that the mitre was in exactly the same position every time the gate closed. This helped to reduce wear on the mitre and maintained a good seal. Most posts seem to have been removed in the 1950s or 1960s, I was told because of someone getting trapped between the post and balance beam, though I have never found any documentary evidence.

7 hours ago, Heartland said:

Albert Dunnington produced a fine painting of Barton Lock and Aqueduct in 1893 before they were swept away. There is certain amount of artistic interpretation, such as the vessel under sail when it should have been horse drawn and the boat in the lock might deserve a critical eye. Yet the general view of aqueduct, lock cottage and lock appears close to what existed as the the dress and clothing of the people present also appears to be.

The old Barton Aqueduct caught several artists' attention. It is intriguing to examine (and a cheerful way of wasting time) the various modifications made to the bridge over the years. G.F. Yates, for instance, painting in 1793, shows a modest sized room occupying the upper portion of one arches. William Orme, sketching at the site slightly earlier, appears to show this storage space (if that is what it was) in the process of construction. Alfred Dunnington's 1893 picture bears comparison with two slightly earlier paintings (c. 1890) by one H.J.Hawkshaw. Entitled respectively 'Barton Aqueduct' https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/barton-aqueduct-165191/view_as/grid/search/works_auto:barton/page/1 and 'River Irwell and Barton Old Aqueduct' https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/river-irwell-and-barton-old-aqueduct-165192 , the originals are both in Salford Museum and Art Gallery. Apologies for not posting the pictures themselves, but I'm not clear whether Art UK's image permissions allow it.