Belmont butty

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Steve Priest said:

I am afraid that I can’t say too much at the moment but I can put your minds at rest.

Talks have taken place, Belmont will not be scrapped and will probably have left Snibston by Christmas. 

Steve

That's excellent news, Steve.  Thanks for letting people know.

Edited by alan_fincher

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 17:43, zenataomm said:

Following my tear jerking personal account at post 16, I have contacted a vague outpost of the local council as nowhere does an email address appear for anything that appears to be remotely related to Snibstone Adventure Park and it's collapse.

They have come back to me and promised they have forwarded my enquiry to the relevant office whom will contact me directly ....... we'll see, and I'll report back.

I too would do my upmost to help Ashby Canal Society if they were able to get involved.

S'looking good!

Here is the reply I got back from The Council .......

Dear Mr .........

I have been passed your email from the customer service team. I understand that you have requested information about the decision to transfer the ‘Belmont’ barge to the Ashby Canal Association.

As this item was part of Leicestershire County Council Museum collections, in accordance with our policy governing transfers or disposals from the collection, the decision was made by the Lead Member for Adults and Communities.

Do you have any concerns or queries in relation to this decision that I can try to assist you with?

Kind regards

Thank you ......
Your news is excellent.
I have no further queries and certainly no concerns about the decision.

I was merely seeking assurance that the craft concerned had a secure future.

Best regards

I nearly brought Belmont when it first went on sale. Jim Colin’s told me about lying in bed a seeing Braunston church clock. A very brief inspection confirmed that it was way beyond my recourses to put it into a good enough condition for carrying. It must be in a very poor state now.

the last boat on the lime juice were 3 fellows pair with electric Eric steerer

F7566E86-5801-4CF1-8722-A3553777C158.jpeg

On 30/11/2017 at 23:27, zenataomm said:

S'looking good!

Here is the reply I got back from The Council .......

Dear Mr .........

I have been passed your email from the customer service team. I understand that you have requested information about the decision to transfer the ‘Belmont’ barge to the Ashby Canal Association.

As this item was part of Leicestershire County Council Museum collections, in accordance with our policy governing transfers or disposals from the collection, the decision was made by the Lead Member for Adults and Communities.

Do you have any concerns or queries in relation to this decision that I can try to assist you with?

Kind regards

Thank you ......
Your news is excellent.
I have no further queries and certainly no concerns about the decision.

I was merely seeking assurance that the craft concerned had a secure future.

Best regards

Details of the planning application for Snipston Discovery Park are on the NW Leics website. After a  going through these I also submitted a query about the future of Belmont and eventually received a similar reply to zenataomm from Leicestershire CC. 

So looks good!

One can only hope that the transfer of Belmont goes ahead. There is a more general concern about the projects such as where Belmont was located, though. Time and time again schemes for preservation come into place only to find that there is little security for that which is preserved. Nottingham Canal Museum closed at the end of March 1998 following budget cuts within the council. Such budget cuts go on and on and raises the question what is safe now, particularly where local councils are concerned. Moreover are canal sites seen as a easy place to make them?

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

............... Such budget cuts go on and on and raises the question what is safe now, particularly where local councils are concerned. Moreover are canal sites seen as a easy place to make them?

No more easier than "Meals on Wheels" "Care for the Elderly" "Mental Health Services" "Libraries" "Social Services" "Emergency Services", "NHS" and a mass of other essentials that the greedy so]]ing bankers stole from us nearly ten years ago.

• Greenie 3

• 10 months later...
On 29/11/2017 at 19:02, Steve Priest said:

I am afraid that I can’t say too much at the moment but I can put your minds at rest.

Talks have taken place, Belmont will not be scrapped and will probably have left Snibston by Christmas. 

Steve

Is there any update on Belmont?

Well, we didn’t manage it by Christmas, and after an abortive attempt in early February ( we went over with a lorry, but by then the surrounding land was much to soft ) we were successful a few weeks later. Belmont was moved in one piece and is now stored on private land

I apologise if some have got the impression that restoration was imminent, unfortunately there are no funds available at the moment. Whilst perhaps the overall condition is somewhat better than I had expected it is still in an appalling state, and restoration would be a major undertaking, certainly considering the sort of money that butties change hands for.

However, on the positive side, the prime objective was to get Belmont out of Snibston so that she wouldn’t be scrapped, and this has been  achieved.  Restoration may be a long way away, but at least what is left of Belmont still exists, and the potential is still there.

Steve

• Greenie 1

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, jake_crew said:

A colleague in the Heritage Rail world has come up with this list of 0 6 0 locos in Leicestershire.

One is shown at the Snibston Discovery Park, though its fate is not so certain.

snibston 001.jpg

It was still there last weekend, it's now a free entry family park called Snibston Colliery Park.