New cratch / Woodskin varnish

PaulG

Featured Posts

I'm going to replace my ancient steel cratch as (apart from being ugly) has pretty much rusted away in places.

I'd like the new one to be a wood construction, but I'm not sure what type of wood.

Anyone able to advise on the pro's and con's of different wood types?

Also, anyone have any experience with International's Woodskin varnish?

Good, bad, or are better products available?

Info here

Thanks in advance...

Edited by PaulG
bad spelling as usual...

Softwood will be short life.

Oak is probably the best UK timber but it will need non ferrous fastenings and to be isolated from any bare steel. Ash is not suitable.  ( It goes black).  Some of the tropical hardwoods would also be suitable.  Teak or opepe if you can source them and afford them. No need to varnish teak.

No experience of woodskin but I am happy with Epifanes UV resistant varnish. Le Tonkinois is also good.

N

When I bought DQ the wooden cratch was in poor shape, having been originally oiled and then neglected.

I rubbed it down and used Sadolin, but that only lasted 18 months, as it is now water based and a much inferior product to what it used to be.

Earlier this year I stripped what was left of it back to bare wood and used Le Tonkinous (having tested it first by painting some outdoor furniture with it two years earlier).

https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/varMain.html

It is much better than any other varnish I have ever used, as it does not crack and peel, unlike conventional varnishes, dries to a glass like finish and really brings out the grain of the wood. 

I have since used it to cover the artwork on the stern cabin doors with great success.

Edited by cuthound
To remove a letter masquerading as a space

Wood skin is great stuff. Used on my front doors. Brought the colour up really nice, it soaks in like an oil but leaves a varnish like finish on top that won't crack or peel. Wood is fully protected. Been on above a year and still looks like it was done yesterday.