What sort of safety harness is this? :-)

Mayflower

Featured Posts

I bought this at a charity fund-raising stall at a canal festival some time ago.  It had a standard clip-on safely line securing it - single clip on the harness clasp - two lines (to two clips) for fastening to a running line, maybe.   It's a Trem harness so it can't have been cheap when it was new!  After fiddling with it for ages I've come to the conclusion it must be for a dog!    Can anyone confirm that that's what it is?  Or tell me what it really is...  :-)   As I haven't got a dog I'll probably donate it to the next canal-related charity stall I see - but it would be good to be able to put a label on it saying what it is!  :-)  The second photo shows how I think it would be fitted, though my cat is the wrong size and shape (and way too grumpy) to model it very well!

DSCN1202.JPG

DSCN1207.JPG

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Is this a joke?

Its a childs yachting safety harness.

I really don't see how a child would fit into it...    If you put the clasp at the front and the front straps at full extension over the shoulders, there would be a great long loose loop down the child's back.

DSCN1211.JPG

Edited by Mayflower
corrected photo comment

10 minutes ago, Mayflower said:

I really don't see how a child would fit into it...    If you put the clasp at the front and the front straps at full extension over the shoulders, there would be a great long loose loop down the child's back.

I wonder if it goes the other way up and you have your fingers in the crotch area? A lot of celebrities and politicians seem to get caught out like that... ;)

• Haha 2

Brev (Italy) make safety harnesses mainly for marine use

I've come across guys using them on safety/workboats and they can hold a hell of a weight so like you said would imagine they wouldn't be cheap

Careful if you google harness as there are some interesting options !!!!!!!!!

Edited by 13-10

47 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I wonder if it goes the other way up and you have your fingers in the crotch area? A lot of celebrities and politicians seem to get caught out like that... ;)

It would certainly fit on a small person that way, yes.  I guess I was assuming that the clasp was only the right way up when the writing was the right way up (it says Italy on one piece) and the wider end of the buckle was at the top so that the clip to the line was not pinched.  I could do more pics to illustrate but basically the clips that came with it were nice strong ones that fitted through the wide and of the buckle but not through the narrow end.

It should be destroyed as you have no idea of its history. Harnesses like other safety equipment need to be checked regularly and destroyed if they have taken eny extraordinary load such as a major fall. You cannot know how this harness has been used and if it has been involved in a fall or similar occurence. So cut it up and bin it.

Edited by Richard T

13 minutes ago, Richard T said:

It should be destroyed as you have no idea of its history. Harnesses like other safety equipment need to be checked regularly and destroyed if they have taken eny extraordinary load such as a major fall. You cannot know how this harness has been used and if it has been involved in a fall or similar occurence. So cut it up and bin it.

But that doesn't satisfy my curiosity as to what it is!  Sure, if it's a child harness it shouldn't be used.  But the buckle is good and if it is a dog harness I very much doubt its integrity is so shot that it wouldn't hold a bull terrier daft enough to try to jump overboard to catch a duck.

Its not an animal harness there should be a carabiner on a rope which clips one end in to front buckle to lock it and other end to a strong point with a second carabiner.    There is no sign of wear I'd be happy to let some small person use it, the other buckles let out to adjust shoulder straps. But a child is really better in a good lifejacket of the correct size . 

Looked again at photo, and it does seem strange ....

A bosun's chair can be made like that in an emergency but you would struggle for volunteers to be hoisted up the mast with that one. 

Sell it on Ebay as an adult harness ................ for adventurous sailors pehaps?

Edited by LadyG