blacking in cold weather

Rickent

Featured Posts

My boat is booked to come out this week for blacking, the weather forecast for this week is for increasingly cold weather with overnight frost. The dry dock is covered but am thinking of putting it off until May when the weather is milder.

Is this a wise move or should I go ahead and do it this week.

3 hours ago, Rickent said:

My mind is now made up, will cancel and look to get it done in May when the temp should be a lot better.

I assume then that your dock was not enclosed. Our club (Aylesbury Canal Society - Circus Fields Basin) has an fully enclosed and heated slipway/dock that allows blacking all year round:

http://aylesburycanal.org.uk/our-services/slipway-dry-dock/

Tim

3020 Aylesbury Dry Docking 5th April 2015.JPG

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Kathy was booked in the same dock 2 years ago at the start of December, I advised her to postpone it until April and she did. That week in Dec was the one week that ice formed on the marina.

Yes Matty going to leave it for now as the weather is forecast to get even colder later in the week.

Probably going to re book for the first week in May.

Did you ring up about your winter mooring ?

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Late to this thread. (Story of my life...)

My view is that Peukerts is recoverable, except for the tiny amount lost through self discharge.

Incidentally, my experience is that self discharge is related to the electrolyte becoming "polluted" with shed material from the plates. It is much higher in older batteries and much lower in VRSLA's which do not have a wet electrolyte for the shed material to dissolve in.

As Nick intimated Peukerts is very relevant to batteries used for standby, particularly UPS batteries, where the autonomy time (time the design load is to be supported) is sometimes only 2-10 minutes. It is surprising how many young designers are unaware of Peukets effect and wonder why their 10 minute battery has failed after say 5 minutes.

The latest trend is to do away with batteries by using DRUPS (diesel engines rotary UPS) where a long autonomy time is required, or a flywheel UPS where very short autonony times are acceptable.

Are you sure you have the correct thread?

I fail to see the relevance to applying blacking in the Winter.

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you sure you have the correct thread?

I fail to see the relevance to applying blacking in the Winter.

Thanks Alan.

I wondered where that post had gone.

I've just re-written it in the battery fault thread and will delete it from this thread.