Victron "VE.bus" connecting

Tom Richmond

Featured Posts

Hi there.

I have a victron easysolar 24/1600. I want to connect to a pc to use the VE.configure software. I also have a multi control panel which I want to connect.

I purchased a generic network cable (cat6, but works as cat 5 as well, it says on packet) but cannot get the easysolar talking to either the pc or the panel.

Victron have a proprietary USB interface, (for £60!) I wonder if the pc will only connect with this? I am confused by specs in the manual...

Anyone wuth similar set up or experience of able to help me?

Yes you have to use their interface.  I did go to maplins with the question and he gave me a bit of kit and said this will do it.  It didn't.  This was for a comi multiplus.  But same cable as your on about.  Borrow one, steel one, last resort buy one, it opened up load of stuff to fiddle with.

It's a RS485 serial port so this one should work:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3in1-5V-3-3V-Serial-Converter-Board-USB-To-RS485-RS232-TTL-Serial-Module-CP2102/262465971137?hash=item3d1c30e3c1:g:5xoAAOSwv9hW2aK2

However the a/b connector pins is a confused standard so cant really say which should go to pins 3 and 6 in the rj45 connector.

It should be able to handle wrong polarity but dont quote me on that.