Stove glass cleaning.

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

How do we keep the stove glass clean? It's a Villager stove and our first winter on the boat. I've read the posts on using damp kitchen roll with a bit of ash, which works great when cold, but the stove is lit 24/7 and it's too hot to do that. There's a control at the top to reduce sooting on the glass but not figured the best setting for it. Other than that it's a brilliant stove and quite controllable for one door and easy to keep in all day and night.

What do you all do to keep the glass clean?

What works for me, is to open the door first thing in the morning when the stove is at its coolest, and scrub clean. I find that a stainless steel pan scourer works nicely, dipped into water then rubbed vigorously on the glass. 

Alternatively, the heating engineer that fitted our central heating system recommended a can of spray oven cleaner, it is very effective, but smelly and expensisive when compared to a scourer that lasts just about forever.

Good luck.

• Happy 1

11 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Surely there must be a better way than that? What's the trick?

Baby wipes.

No, honestly - give it a go! (Cool glass only, so first thing in the morning after a night's tick over)

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Greenie 2

We use one of these (as I mentioned in another thread recently)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atmosfire-Wipe-Stove-Glass-Cleaner/dp/B00AESG5L6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511610734&sr=8-1&keywords=atmosfire

Slightly cheaper on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATMOSFIRE-DRY-WIPE-STOVE-GLASS-CLEANER-SCHOTT-ROBAX-DRY-WIPER-OVENS-SCREENS-snh/112242760663?epid=1230530082&hash=item1a22309bd7:g:r8oAAOSw241YWPfH

If the glass darkens when the fire is running on low we just fully open the air vent to 'boost' and the glass clears very quickly.

Our stove is a Charnwood C5

Edited by MJG

30 minutes ago, MJG said:

On the amazon site, in the Q&As, someone asked if it can be used on hot glass and the answer is no. Do you use yours when hot?

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Baby wipes.

No, honestly - give it a go! (Cool glass only, so first thing in the morning after a night's tick over)

Thanks to all for the great answers. I think I am leaning to the stainless steel pan scourer - we will give that a go - and if not try all the other suggestions. A stanley knife blade sounds good for the stuborn stains - so good to hear it doesnt scratch. I will try a baby wipe though tomorrow morning. Obviously everyone except Rusty likes to look at a nice burning fire!

edit .....and Mrs Melly.

Edited by Dr Bob

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

. Obviously everyone except Rusty likes to look at a nice burning fire!

edit .....and Mrs Melly.

Haha. I said i didn't clean it. Doesn't mean I can't still see it, but of more interest is its ability to heat the boat, which it does admirably 

On our stove at home we use a scourer and water when the stove is cold, I did manage it with the stove on just left the door open for about 15 minutes

If you're using dry wood you shouldn't have to clean it very often

Edited by 13-10

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

On the amazon site, in the Q&As, someone asked if it can be used on hot glass and the answer is no. Do you use yours when hot?

No sorry just when cool or cold.

To clean the glass when hot we put the stove into boost by fully opening the air vent and the glass clears.

15 minutes ago, MJG said:

No sorry just when cool or cold.

To clean the glass when hot we put the stove into boost by fully opening the air vent and the glass clears.

In the 2 months the stove has been on, we've never had it really hot - but today it is cold out there so I will crank it up and see if it clears! It was cold cruising into the wind this morning heading west from Braunston - I think I need all my lumpy water boat gear on!

31 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Tut tut. No wonder you had to hand in your bell bottoms!  I feel a rescrub might be in order. :captain:

I think that's why I never polish brass. Having had to do it properly on proper brass covered in salt I think I have done my bit for the manufacturers of Brasso :D

Just now, mrsmelly said:

I think that's why I never polish brass. Having had to do it properly on proper brass covered in salt I think I have done my bit for the manufacturers of Brasso :D

Fair enough!  You weren't also drinking it after filtering it through bread, I hope! 

The sailors amongst us might be interested to learn that, when the brass cannons outside a building I worked from  needed cleaning, the job went to a civilian contractor who cleaned and lacquered them. A few months later, they looked as bad as ever. There was something to be said for 'men under punishment' with a tin of brasso or 'wadpol'!  :D

• Happy 1

Its probably worth mentioning that, with some older stoves that didn't incorporate any controls that aim to keep the glass cleaner, trying to keep it clear for any length of time is a fairly pointless task.

We have had an old style Villager Heron in the last boat, and current boat has a great deal older Coalbrookdale Much Wenlock, (i.e. not the later Aga produced Much Wenlock).  On both these types a clean glass gets sooted very quickly indeed, (and on the Much Wenlock quite well burnt on).

Obviouisly these days manufacturers have gone to some effort to aviud this, with "Airwash" and similar controls, as people expect to be able to see a glow.  It sounds like OP's stove has some capability in this area, but on those that don't you might just have to accept you'll not have a good view of the fire.

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Baby wipes.

Also have just found these to be great for cleaning/shining anything stainless steel eg Hobs. It was a tip given to us by the guy who installed our gas hob at home. 

Edited by MJG