hello! and opinions please...

twoesses

Featured Posts

hello,

long time lurk first time posters...

background. We are a couple, who are both self employed and our work takes us away from base always, sporadically in winter but throughout the summer months is usually guaranteed times of work for us. We own a self build camper van which we have enjoyed for several years all over Europe so we are used to space restrictions, leisure batteries, leccy and water savvy ness, frosty mornings and folding the bed down... and then realising the cutlery’s underneath it! Doh!

we’re learning, going to brokerages, marinas, etc but feel that we’re at the point where we need to try a boat so looking for a two month hire in Cheshire, yeah we know... - really hard to find! It would be a great short term, long time taster for us but if  this doesn’t happen we’ll do another 2 week holiday hire... or...look at boats in our budget with a layout we are happy with for now and more than prepared and able to do fit out work to suit us.

opinions on these two boats please from those with the knowledge (all of you!)

at swanley bridge “Titan” www.narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boats.phtml?id=2912

Lister jp13 engine? does that equal more expensive to maintain or replace parts?

general opinions of the boat in terms of blacking, layout, heating in winter etc?

vs

At great Haywood ”Evelyn” www.greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/images/pdf_files/EvelynBrochureMainPage.pdf

Short bsc certificate. Am I right to think this?

any and all opinions are genuinely greatly received. I know everyone has their own opinions on cruiser vs trad, pump out vs cassette etc so we really do appreciate contributions from you all. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Edited by twoesses

Thanks rusty69, good advice and just the plan for tomorrow and next week... We’re just not very sure of the mechanical/ structural if we do see something we like... it’s a bit nerve wracking! Was everyone in this position at some point? We’ll get a survey whatever, just  want to soak up the experience of people who know... 

8 minutes ago, twoesses said:

Thanks rusty69, good advice and just the plan for tomorrow and next week... We’re just not very sure of the mechanical/ structural if we do see something we like... it’s a bit nerve wracking! Was everyone in this position at some point? We’ll get a survey whatever, just  want to soak up the experience of people who know... 

Its was much easier when we got our boat, as the internet brokers were not so numerous, so less choice:)

The only thing I will say, is that Titan is an older lady,but I guess you know that.

Edited by rusty69

Thanks rusty69. Yes in a way we do know that but we are here for opinions from people who have more experience on the water hoot hard!) than we do so thank you. In my eyes, older means a survey where we should be thinking about, Hull thickness, blacking, overplating, and history? What have we missed?

Hoot hard = not hard... fing computers!!!

1 minute ago, twoesses said:

Thanks rusty69. Yes in a way we do know that but we are here for opinions from people who have more experience on the water hoot hard!) than we do so thank you. In my eyes, older means a survey where we should be thinking about, Hull thickness, blacking, overplating, and history? What have we missed?

Looks like you have it covered. Older may be more likely to require overplating  (if it hasn't already been done). I guess the question is, if it hasn't been done, and the surveyor picks up on this, are you prepared to commit the time and money to have it done. If the answer is no, perhaps look at newer boats, like the other you linked to.

Having said all that, newer boats aren't immune. There is no easy answer, and the only way to limit the risk is a reputable surveyor.

Good luck

8 minutes ago, twoesses said:

What have we missed?

The aesthetic stuff like old fashioned fit out. Shower curtain probably, instead of a door. Beige tiles, all that sort of thing. 

Interior design standards and styles shift imperceptibly from year to year, but look at two boats differing in age by 20 years and the difference will be obvious.

If you feel that you must have a vintage engine then the Lister JP3 will be a huge plus, if you are not fussed or would really prefer a modern quiet engine then the JP3 might be a disaster for you. However I do know one or two people who got a vintage engine because it came with the boat and are slowly but surely converting to the "must have" category.

..............Dave

Thank you all! It’s invaluable to get the opinions of people who are in the know!

dmr we don’t particularly feel the need to have a vintage engine, they just happen to crop up on boats we like! but it certainly wouldn’t put us off up until prohibitive parts costs or the like if that makes sense.? We love to potter round the van, changing and checking, cleaning and sprucing, so it is something we view as part and parcel of having a moving home, again if that makes sense? 

Great feedback from everyone thank you

Edited by twoesses

2 hours ago, twoesses said:

Thank you all! It’s invaluable to get the opinions of people who are in the know!

dmr we don’t particularly feel the need to have a vintage engine, they just happen to crop up on boats we like! but it certainly wouldn’t put us off up until prohibitive parts costs or the like if that makes sense.? We love to potter round the van, changing and checking, cleaning and sprucing, so it is something we view as part and parcel of having a moving home, again if that makes sense? 

Great feedback from everyone thank you

Yes.  It makes sense. Titan it is then. 

Knocking on a bit,  Low speck electrics and somewhat tired interior but a bit of a looker.  But Hey! I could live with/on that boat.

Don't worry. I'm not about to put in a bid.......  Yet.

Although it doesn't give away too many clues in the external pictures, I think "Titan" may be wooden or possibly GRP topped, not steel.  Does it say, anywhere?

Whilst what looks lik horizontal planking on the back is often faked in steel, I can't imagine why it would have internal beams across the cabin top if it were a normal steel one - they are hardly decorative are they, so probably there to hold the top up.

If my suspicions are correct, it's an eye-watering price for a more than 40 yera old non steel topped boat.

Also if interested, find out what Parsons gearbox it has, and talk to someone like RLWP of this forum about potential issues and likely availability of spares.  I would imagine that for most Parsons boxes they don't come new off the shelf!

No opinion on Evelyn - it looks so horrible externally, I couldn't bring myself to look, (!), but if you are looking at both 1976 and 2000 built boats, I reallly think you need to sort your thinking out on likely differences between purchasing 41 yeras old and 17 yeras old, before investing too much time in any particular example.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

but if you are looking at both 1976 and 2000 built boats, I reallly think you need to sort your thinking out on likely differences between purchasing 41 yeras old and 17 yeras old, before investing too much time in any particular example.

For this you get one of these:

Image result for smyths toys snot

I'm guessing that both boats are 'timber tops' - fine if you want a replica style working boat, but not if you just want to cruise. My knowledge of Teddesley doesn't go back further than when the Milwards took over, but they had several fibreglass topped boats inherited from the previous owners. In those days the engines were often air cooled Listers, reliable but not best suited to modern 'needs' - such as electrical appliances.

16 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I'm guessing that both boats are 'timber tops'

Higly unlikely a boat claimed as built by Reeves in 2000 will be a timber top, surely.

Looks like steel to me, and apperas to have both steel doors and steel grab rails.

Cabin looks far too much like a square box to my eye, though.

Unless the picture is distorted, The range in the back cabin looks to have had it. The top appears bowed and the lift out hotplates, etc don' seem flush, and what looks like a repair to the smoke box (bottom of the flue assembly). This will be expensive to replace. 

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for your replies everyone! Great advice . And apologies for the radio silence,life and work getting in the way of boat shopping! We have had a look at Titan and a couple of other boats and are thinking our “must haves” are changing... We are continuing to look at boats in our budget and keeping our minds open. In the meantime we have booked a couple of weeks over and into the new year with chas hardern to keep us sane !! and will update the thread as and when we find more we like or with questions to what we don’t understand! Thanks again