Marina suggestions

Dartagnan

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, ianali said:

I believe some marinas only say no residential moorings due to the local area rules. Agree with you though about it making sense to have liveaboards in a marina. We don't live on our boat and are pleased to have neighbours who do, they keep an eye on ours. Sounds a bargain where your moored.. might see you in the waterfront over the next few days...

Ian.

Drop me a pm I will be there :D only if yer twisting me arm of course.

2 minutes ago, ianali said:

I believe some marinas only say no residential moorings due to the local area rules. Agree with you though about it making sense to have liveaboards in a marina. We don't live on our boat and are pleased to have neighbours who do, they keep an eye on ours. Sounds a bargain where your moored.. might see you in the waterfront over the next few days...

Ian.

Dog walking marina dwellers are the best, they don't miss much (just the occasional turd):)

43 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I remember Ventnor opening, its not been around very long and their blurb announced strictly no liveaboards. It has always amused me why any marina wouldn't want a free security team on site and it put me off that marina from day one. I am at present in a much nicer marina with way more facilities and they gave me their mooring rates information when I came in it has two types of mooring fees written in bold at the top one heading says Fees Non Residential. There is on the same page Fees Residential. Its less than £2.50 per week extra to liveaboard obviously residential are limited but the marina has the sense to value people who keep an eye on their property for them and who spend lots of Wonga in the marina facilities.

Give us a clue, where is this particular marina or is it a secret?  

7 minutes ago, Dartagnan said:

Give us a clue, where is this particular marina or is it a secret?  

Its no secret why would it be? The vast majority of marinas value residential moorers it doesn't mean they have residential moorings the two things are different. I am at present in Barton turns marina. Not being a marina type I thought get in one with everything for the winter and its all here. Pub, restaurants, cinema lots of shops etc etc just right till I de whimp in march.

59 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its no secret why would it be? The vast majority of marinas value residential moorers it doesn't mean they have residential moorings the two things are different. I am at present in Barton turns marina. Not being a marina type I thought get in one with everything for the winter and its all here. Pub, restaurants, cinema lots of shops etc etc just right till I de whimp in march.

Many thanks for the update.  Sounds very good.

just to clarify I am not looking for residential moorings as I will be spending time in NI and Kingston upon Thames when we are not out cruising

Some slight mis information about Ventnor on this thread.

Ventnor Farm Marina was first opened by the owner of Ventnor Farm next door. He was very particular about who he allowed in and what happened in the marina grounds.

The marina has been taken over by the Castle Marina's group and is now called Ventnor Marina. http://www.castlemarinas.co.uk/marinas/ventnor There are no liveaboards as planning permissions preclude this apart from two harbour masters in each of the two phases. These gents walk the pontoons every day and carry out a visible check on all the boats. I have used power tools at the weekends in the past and have never been reprimanded for so doing. I am sensible about the length of time I do this and also check with other moorers, if any aboard near by. What they will not allow is the stripping and repainting type jobs in the marina to which I agree with.

There are leisure / live aboard berths at the sister marina at Wigram's Turn.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

Just to clarify the comments made above regarding Ventnor Marina.

Both Ventnor and Wigrams Marinas which are located on/near the Napton Junction are both owned by Castle Marina.

Ventnor marina is not open to residential moorers , however their staff do live on board within the Marina and are always seen around the Marina when ever we are there (on all days of the week) Wigram is open for residential moorers.

AFAIC, the limitation of noisy work on boats at the weekends is a condition of a local neighbour who I believe use to own the Marina and imposed the condition upon selling the Marina to Castle, and not to disturb other boaters as stated previously. That does not prevent anybody moving their boat out onto the Grand Union to carry out any works within the normal CRaT regs and which could be nearer to the local neighbour than any boat moored within the marina. Of course consideration for others (boaters and non-boaters) should be observed at all times.

Hope this clarifies earlier misleading comments. And I am not employed by Castle Marina , but have moored at Ventnor for a couple of years.

Sorry Ray T we were typing similar replies at the same time, both with the same message

• Greenie 1

Just now, Boatingbiker said:

Both Ventnor and Wigrams Marinas which are located on/near the Napton Junction are both owned by Castle Marina.

Ventnor marina is not open to residential moorers , however their staff do live on board within the Marina and are always seen around the Marina when ever we are there (on all days of the week) Wigram is open for residential moorers.

AFAIC, the limitation of noisy work on boats at the weekends is a condition of a local neighbour who I believe use to own the Marina and imposed the condition upon selling the Marina to Castle, and not to disturb other boaters as stated previously. That does not prevent anybody moving their boat out onto the Grand Union to carry out any works within the normal CRaT regs and which could be nearer to the local neighbour than any boat moored within the marina. Of course consideration for others (boaters and non-boaters) should be observed at all times.

Hope this clarifies earlier misleading comments. And I am not employed by Castle Marina , but have moored at Ventnor for a couple of years.

Unfortunately this agreement doesn't preclude the farm owner from using his noisy grass mower for lengthy periods in the summer. :ninja:

49 minutes ago, Boatingbiker said:

Sorry Ray T we were typing similar replies at the same time, both with the same message

I was specifically told by the Castle Marina harbour master in 2009 when I was looking at getting a mooring at Ventnor about the power tool ruling. Doesn't the previous owner still live in the farm house between the 2 basins and his name was Peter ??.

50 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Some slight mis information about Ventnor on this thread.

Ventnor Farm Marina was first opened by the owner of Ventnor Farm next door. He was very particular about who he allowed in and what happened in the marina grounds.

The marina has been taken over by the Castle Marina's group and is now called Ventnor Marina. http://www.castlemarinas.co.uk/marinas/ventnor There are no liveaboards as planning permissions preclude this apart from two harbour masters in each of the two phases. These gents walk the pontoons every day and carry out a visible check on all the boats. I have used power tools at the weekends in the past and have never been reprimanded for so doing. I am sensible about the length of time I do this and also check with other moorers, if any aboard near by. What they will not allow is the stripping and repainting type jobs in the marina to which I agree with.

There are leisure / live aboard berths at the sister marina at Wigram's Turn.

46 minutes ago, Boatingbiker said:

Thanks gents that’s very helpful.

Just now, Tonka said:

I was specifically told by the Castle Marina harbour master in 2009 when I was looking at getting a mooring at Ventnor about the power tool ruling. Doesn't the previous owner still live in the farm house between the 2 basins and his name was Peter ??.

The marina manager you dealt with left in 2011 ish. The farmers name is Paul F**** and he still lives there.

Edited by Ray T

Just now, Tonka said:

Does he still walk around the marina and act like he still owns the place

No, why should he, he's too busy worrying about his own security.

After giving up his rights to the dry dock he has no claim on the marina at all.

Edited by Ray T

11 hours ago, Ray T said:

Unfortunately this agreement doesn't preclude the farm owner from using his noisy grass mower for lengthy periods in the summer. :ninja:

Always makes me laugh re the signs that abound saying This is a residential area please be mindfull re excessive noise, generators blah blah blah and suchlike and some bloke is in his garden with some horrendous poxy lawnmower all afternoon at the offside of the canal in the house he bought 200 years after the canal was built :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Always makes me laugh re the signs that abound saying This is a residential area please be mindfull re excessive noise, generators blah blah blah and suchlike and some bloke is in his garden with some horrendous poxy lawnmower all afternoon at the offside of the canal in the house he bought 200 years after the canal was built :rolleyes:

We should get a petition going and have him banned. Next, we can complain about the farmer having those noisy geese and get rid them. Based on that success, we'll go for those blessed sheep, and then his tractor. Once he's gone, then we'll work on those bloomin' ducks. Keep the countryside country, that's what I say! ;)

On 11/24/2017 at 01:14, Tonka said:

Ventnor Farm Marina have some stupid rules like no power tools to be used outside of the boat at weekends. It disturbs the people who use their boat as a country cottage. Thankfully Calcutt is far more relaxed

I have used power tools with no comment, indeed when my assistants angle grinder tripped the power bollard the marina staff were only to helpful, coming over and resetting the supply and even leaving the box open for us to lock up after we had finished. They do ask you to respect your neighbours which most normal people would. so a massive noise at 9 pm would be a problem and maybe Sunday afternoon. (same as at home)

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

A hell of a lot of spaces. Must have been high summer with boats out or sometts wrong?

I think it is an old video. Very few wide berth boats in there compared to today. This year it was much fuller for most of the summer and it is chocka at the moment with few spaces - wall to wall boats. The video is interesting. Obviously late summer given the state of the fields - ie the crops harvested, but lots of Black Prince hire boats so maybe a Saturday lunchtime. 5 years old?

3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I really don't like those long jetties where other boaters have to manoeuvre between boats to get in and out, too many opportunities to bounce off boats whilst reversing.

...but very easy to get the boat into rather than having to do a 90 deg turn on a windy day. Reversing out is no problem and I rarely bounce off the 'parked' boats.

• Greenie 1