Yank - Apps for Narrowboaters

tipton1947

Featured Posts

Just now, tipton1947 said:

After I asked about plant books it occurred to me that must also be apps with that sort of info. So what are the apps that you have found useful during your narrowboat travels. I am interested in both IOS and Android apps.

Plant id apps are generally pants, there is a resonable woodland trust tree id app but it still doesn't compare to a decent book.

Never trust a id app if you're considering eating any foraged plant or fungi

26 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Plant id apps are generally pants, there is a resonable woodland trust tree id app but it still doesn't compare to a decent book.

Never trust a id app if you're considering eating any foraged plant or fungi

It is an out of date way to do it, but my preference is for good reference books, such as Roger Phillips or Fitter Blamey and Fitter.

For fungi, even with a good book, we still take them to the local chemist for a second opinion.

5 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

It is an out of date way to do it, but my preference is for good reference books, such as Roger Phillips or Fitter Blamey and Fitter.

For fungi, even with a good book, we still take them to the local chemist for a second opinion.

Fitter is a very good book but personally find Rose more accessible and yes Roger Phillips are also quality and probably a better way in to plant ID than either Rose or Fitter.

Good reference books are the best way, well apart from having a friendly botanist to guide you, I have never seen a app that I would trust completely. 

18 minutes ago, tipton1947 said:

I found this one on Amazon:

The Wild Flowers of Britain and Ireland: A New Guide to Our Wild Flowers (Tandem) (Paperback)

??

If thats the Fitter book, its a quality book but I think the Collins one is better and more accessible for the newby