Insurance for an older boat

kcb

Featured Posts

Is it possible to get better than ‘third party only’ insurance cover on a 40 year old narrowboat with a hull thickness of less than 4mm?

I can understand why fully comprehensive cover isn’t available, but is it possible to get cover for fire and theft too, accidental damage, theft of contents etc. In fact, everything that isn’t dependant on a 4mm thick hull.

From the couple of companies I’ve spoken to it seems it’s either fully comp or third party only, nothing in between. Does anyone know different or have any experience?

What does third party boat insurance ACTUALY cover. I havnt checked to be honest but for me whatever insurance I had I would want to ensure that it covered removal from the waterways for instance of my boat if it sunk as I reckon that would cost quite a few shillings to do? amongst other things of course.

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

What does third party boat insurance ACTUALY cover. I havnt checked to be honest but for me whatever insurance I had I would want to ensure that it covered removal from the waterways for instance of my boat if it sunk

The one I looked at (Basic boat liability company) did cover wreck removal costs up to £50,000.