locks for a solo yogurt pot

the blind novice

Featured Posts

hello folks, im about to embark on my first boating adventure this coming spring. my intention is to spend the spring,summer continious cruising the rivers and canals. never driven a boat before. thats not my real concern. its using the locks solo. any advice on that will be helpful. also not sure where to put the boat in the water. above the Caen flight if i go kennet first but if i go gloucester im not sure where to put in. also can i just turn up in a marina for the night and use their facilaties. in the meantime if anyone is in need of an extra pair of novice hands. im in chippenham wilts. im refitting the interior of the cheap little yougurt pot ive bought. Ahh nearly forgot. i bought this boat as a shetland? then im told its a seamaster, nope says some one else its a birchwood, no its not its a ??? Here are some pics if anyone can identify this boat it would help me greatly. BIG beer if you can help. many thanks . The Blind Novice

IMG_20170824_074513.jpg

IMG_20170824_074530.jpg

IMG_20170824_074541.jpg

Lots of folk single hand much bigger boats through locks. Just be methodical and keep your concentration on what is going on. Your boat is tiny, so you can just pick it up and carry it around locks. :giggles:

You'll have a really good adventure cruising round the system.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Why not start off by buying yourself copies of the Nicholson guides covering the areas you intend to cruises? The detailed Ordnance Survey mapping will tell you where are and where you're going while all the facilities and services (included slipways – both boatyard and public) are listed. You can use them during those dark winter months to plan your spring and summer cruising! Shops, pubs and POIs are also shown.

Thankyou for your prompt reply. I have got the guides you mentioned. I was hoping for the little tips thar experienced boaters have. I also have the waterways maps from waternav app. But all suggestions will be helpful and I thank you for taking the time to help. The Blind Novice

If you're boating the Kennet & Avon get in touch with the K&A Trust – https://katrust.org.uk – who are a mine of information and will guide you to all the slipways on their patch some of which may be members only. Better still join up and become a member. All depends on where you're based I guess.

50 minutes ago, the blind novice said:

Thankyou for your prompt reply. I have got the guides you mentioned. I was hoping for the little tips thar experienced boaters have. I also have the waterways maps from waternav app. But all suggestions will be helpful and I thank you for taking the time to help. The Blind Novice

Best tip. Take everything slowly, don't rush and most of all don't panic. Try to stay calm.

• 4 weeks later...

My first boat was a Norman 20. The problems I had were,windy weather [it was all over the cut,] and locks. Although the beam was 6ft 10" the locks on my local ditch have a 7ft entrance.To get in it was neccesary to pull the fenders up so gaining quite a few "battle scars".Most outboard powered boats need about 3ft of water [not guaranteed on canals] so an engine that is able to pivot up when it hits the bottom or submerged object is desirable.[Some engine makers call this shallow water drive]