The Boating Season

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I don't think anyone,anywhere has ever asked me when my licence expired

I am surprised as it is normal for the license to be checked at locks on the Trent. If the lock keeper  can easily  see your registration  number and  license there may be no need to ask.

Back in the day I always proffered boating in autumn/winter but then you could boat as stoppages were few & far between & if there was one it rarely lasted more than 2 weeks soif you fell foul of it you could tie up & wait for reopening if you had water/provisions etc  now it seems the most popular abv is UFN on a lot of  different watererways pity as they still have 12 month licenses but in a lot of cases your boating is restricted

2 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Back in the day I always proffered boating in autumn/winter but then you could boat as stoppages were few & far between & if there was one it rarely lasted more than 2 weeks soif you fell foul of it you could tie up & wait for reopening if you had water/provisions etc  now it seems the most popular abv is UFN on a lot of  different watererways pity as they still have 12 month licenses but in a lot of cases your boating is restricted

The only thing likely to stop us cruising this winter is the river going into flood.

lock keepers always ask where your going its called small talk

they could ask what do you do for a living, what do you drive and whats your house worth.

no boats passed me for a fortnight and yes i am on a main line

if i had a magic wand id use it to dry up the freekin mud

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MartynG said:

I am surprised as it is normal for the license to be checked at locks on the Trent. If the lock keeper  can easily  see your registration  number and  license there may be no need to ask.

I think you may have put your finger on where I'm going wrong, I obviously need to take my licence out of the window and overpaint the reg no, then perhaps someone, somewhere might ask me when my licence expires:), hasn't happened yet though.

30 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I think you may have put your finger on where I'm going wrong, I obviously need to take my licence out of the window and overpaint the reg no, then perhaps someone, somewhere might ask me when my licence expires:), hasn't happened yet though.

When you are 10 feet below the top edge of the lock and your licence and number is only 6" away from the wall how do you think that the lockie has any chance of seeing them?

Image result for cromwell lock

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 11/22/2017 at 22:29, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Yup, and if I'm still 10 feet below the lock edge when the lock has filled I don't think it will matter whether I have a licence or not:unsure:

I wouldn't rely on that. I came through Lincomb Lock on the Severn earlier this year and the lock keeper circled around the boat looking down and commented that he couldn't see my licence disc and asked if I could demonstrate I had one. I told him that the only way I could demonstrate it would be to go online.

I got the feeling that if it wasn't for the fact that the name and licence number is very clearly signwritten on the cabin side and that the boat and me were obviously prepared for cruising the river he may not have been so lenient in allowing me to proceed. It's also possible he was able to check my details prior to my arrival at Holt Fleet lock.

I have just been sent my new licence disc and I will definitely be displaying it on the boat but like VV it will be only one in the front window.

I would strongly advise to display your licence when cruising rivers irrespetive of what may be said to the contrary.

JP

On 11/22/2017 at 22:29, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Yup, and if I'm still 10 feet below the lock edge when the lock has filled I don't think it will matter whether I have a licence or not:unsure:

On 11/22/2017 at 22:40, Alan de Enfield said:

Sorry, I am not understanding this comment

8 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I wouldn't rely on that. I came through Lincomb Lock on the Severn earlier this year and the lock keeper circled around the boat looking down and commented that he couldn't see my licence disc and asked if I could demonstrate I had one. I told him that the only way I could demonstrate it would be to go online.

I got the feeling that if it wasn't for the fact that the name and licence number is very clearly signwritten on the cabin side and that the boat and me were obviously prepared for cruising the river he may not have been so lenient in allowing me to proceed. It's also possible he was able to check my details prior to my arrival at Holt Fleet lock.

I have just been sent my new licence disc and I will definitely be displaying it on the boat but like VV it will be only one in the front window.

I would strongly advise to display your licence when cruising rivers irrespetive of what may be said to the contrary.

JP

I think the critical word that seems to have been missed was 'filled' so I've highlighted it. If my boat was still 10 feet below the lockside once the lock had filled I would probably be about 3 feet underwater at which point the relevance of having a licence may have taken a slightly lower priority:unsure:

None of this alters the fact that no-one, nowhere has ever asked me anything about my licence.

2 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I think the critical word that seems to have been missed was 'filled' so I've highlighted it. If my boat was still 10 feet below the lockside once the lock had filled I would probably be about 3 feet underwater at which point the relevance of having a licence may have taken a slightly lower priority:unsure:

None of this alters the fact that no-one, nowhere has ever asked me anything about my licence.

I think there are some locks you have not experienced, e.g. rivers and larger northern xabslx where there can be s substantial host to stand to the locks sides from the normal upper level. 

47 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I think there are some locks you have not experienced, e.g. rivers and larger northern xabslx where there can be s substantial host to stand to the locks sides from the normal upper level. 

I can't think of any and have done all on the Rivers Trent, Ouse (York to Barmby),Aire and the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigations plus River Thames and Avon as far as Bristol. The only locks that I can think of, offhand, that might fit the description are Goole Docks (possibly) and Portishead Lock given the massive tidal range so a neap tide might leave you a long way below the lockside when the lock is full. On all of the others, if I stood on the roof of the boat (5'8") in a full lock I can get onto the lock side.

18 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I can't think of any and have done all on the Rivers Trent, Ouse (York to Barmby),Aire and the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigations plus River Thames and Avon as far as Bristol. The only locks that I can think of, offhand, that might fit the description are Goole Docks (possibly) and Portishead Lock given the massive tidal range so a neap tide might leave you a long way below the lockside when the lock is full. On all of the others, if I stood on the roof of the boat (5'8") in a full lock I can get onto the lock side.

Sorry for the garbled text in the last post - not sure what happened there!

I was making the assumption that we are talking about locks where the normal location of a licence does not come above the lock side:  How about the following, going by a quick look at my photo library (only a random selection):

Aldwarke, Stoke Bardolph, Gunthorpe, West Haddlesey, Castleford, Ferrybridge, Broadreach, Rotherham - of course these days hardly any are actually manned anyway so the issue regarding lockies is somewhat academic.

On 24/11/2017 at 21:15, Wanderer Vagabond said:

But they wouldn't need your index number at Ocean Lock. They are not interested in it.

Certainly on some of the Trent and Ouse locks our index number is below the level of the concrete when the locks are full.

ETA: you can see the lock full mark on here. Our windows are well below the concrete at that height.

FB_IMG_1511701949899.jpg

Edited by Naughty Cal

Do the lock keepers really care!   For practical reasons what can they do? How do they know if you have a license before you enter the lock- it is a bit late to find out once you are in. And what power do they have to prevent passage as a disciplinary measure? Apart from reporting you to CRT.

However, I can imagine a situation if you have no valid license where they could refuse to open the other gates to let you out - and assuming you were the only boat - keep you in until the next boat arrived - which could be a long time if it was quiet - specially if you picked the day when the other boats happened to be unlicensed as well.