Water filter

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

Just a thought on this subject. On my boat, stainless water tank. The overflow for the tank comes out at the side of the bow. (low tug deck) when in some locks with leaking gates, paddles etc.The canal water often comes in close proximity to the overflow. Don't know if this canal water could enter the water tank this way? Should they be a one way flow valve /flap on this overflow pipe. 🤔. Must have a look next time I'm at the boat. Anyway to check it. Possibly putting a hose pipe into the overflow outlet and see if the water tank fills up. Never had a problem drinking the water be for. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Hartlebury lad said:

Some good posts in general on all this.

Certainly, on boat design, my long standing boat engineer friend used to do RCR emergency callouts a long time ago. He stopped.. He said that all boatbuilders should do a few shifts on callouts before ever starting to build a boat.

What to see how clueless and useless the people that are buying their newly built boats are at sorting basic stuff out?
  I imagine most modern boat builders have sorted the problems you have with your weed hatch access out, the ones that didn’t sort these problems out are probably not in business anymore. 

Edited by PD1964

43 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Don't know if this canal water could enter the water tank this way? Should they be a one way flow valve /flap on this overflow pipe. 🤔.

That pipe is also the vent, so needs to admit air as water is drawn off, and a one way valve wouldn't allow that. Better to have a rise and fall swan neck inside the boat so that any water or dirt which may enter from outside can't just flow down into the tank.

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

That pipe is also the vent, so needs to admit air as water is drawn off, and a one way valve wouldn't allow that. Better to have a rise and fall swan neck inside the boat so that any water or dirt which may enter from outside can't just flow down into the tank.

Yes thinking about it it must have some form of swann neck but not much as the overflow hole is probably only 3 inches below the top of the deck. 

4 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I’m seeing more boaters like yourself a lot are younger, dragging water containers back and to from water points and I think why?

Thought about it the other day, the water point hadn’t been used for 2-3 days as there are a couple around, a boater drags his rolling water container up and starts filling straight away, no run through. I thought that water has been static in the pipe work for a couple of days, at a length away from the main running feed, the weather has been hot and Sunny. Would that water stand more chance of developing harmful bacteria then water in his boats water tank?

If people want to go and drag water barrels around or buy 50 bottles of Peckham spring water it’s up to them but why? When they have an onboard water tank?

If I'm within walking distance of the water point and the boats facing the wrong way I'll fill up 2 x 20 litre containers and lug them back, might make several trips. Saves paying for the gym and is quicker than going to a turning point. People keep telling me to get a trolley but where's the fun in that 🤪

3 minutes ago, CanalRetentive said:

If I'm within walking distance of the water point and the boats facing the wrong way I'll fill up 2 x 20 litre containers and lug them back, might make several trips. Saves paying for the gym and is quicker than going to a turning point. People keep telling me to get a trolley but where's the fun in that 🤪

Tell us that when your knees give out, that is not fun.

2 minutes ago, CanalRetentive said:

I think a lot of boaters forget they’ve got a reverse gear😂

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Idle Days said:

Do water filters fall into the same category as Girly Buttons?  

Asking for a friend!

In my experience water filters are no help at all when making a long reverse in the boat... 😂🤣

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Hartlebury lad said:

Maybe an inline filter below the kitchen sink? Or am i over cautious?

I fitted a filter under the sink on the boat last year. For me it was less about bacteria and more about the taste of the water from some water points along the Thames - it’s amazing how much it varies. You can go days with decent cups of tea and then they suddenly turn foul! The filter makes a big difference (more than I expected) and it also means I can drop chlorine-type tablets into the tank now and then as a safe-guard without the water tasting like a swimming pool.

I use a Doulton Ultracarb cartridge, and rather than add an extra tap I put a 5l accumulator between the filter and the normal tap. It means we get plenty of gushing water to fill a kettle / jug / saucepan, and then the accumulator recharges slowly ready for next time. 

29 minutes ago, Lady C said:

If you have any concern about the water quality at a particular tap, taste it before filling your tank.

We sometimes do that and are getting to know the ones that taste dodgy, but with a family of 4 plus visitors and the silly valves on the water points on the Thames last year we often can’t afford to skip an opportunity.

Plus, of course, less-than-perfect-tea is very much a first world problem that we can survive at a push 😊

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Thames Bhaji said:

Plus, of course, less-than-perfect-tea is very much a first world problem that we can survive at a push 😊

No it's not a first world problem - I've been all over the place and had dodgy tea!  I did survive though so you're half right... ;)

• Greenie 1