can anyone explain the different moorings...

katty45

Featured Posts

Katty, you pay the same for a boat licence (for use on CART waters, which is nearly all canals and the odd river) wherever you intend to moor. The only way you can save money is by paying promptly, i.e. before the starting date of your licence, which attracts a generous discount, 10% I think. Licences are normally issued for one year and are calculated on the length of your boat. As an example (and from memory) ours, a 45-footer, cost £760 to licence this year.

So, now you have a licensed boat, which you will also have insured (not expensive). You now have to decide where you're going to keep her. There are basically three choices:

- Marina. This the most expensive option but you'll also get the best facilities, such as somewhere to empty your loo, water taps, diesel pump,dustbins, possibly electric power sockets, possibly a washing machine, possibly a shop and an on-site fitter, mechanic or what you will. A few marinas even have their own pub!

- Bankside. This is a designated mooring which may be owned by CART or by a private person such as a farmer. Facilities range from sod all to quite good - such as mooring rings, water tap, toilet and other waste disposal, lights. Some are on the towpath side; others are on the offside and are generally considered more secure.

- Continuous cruising. This means that you have no designated home mooring and must move at least every 14 days, though CART are vague about how far you must move - fine if you are retired or a lady of leisure, not so fine if you have to go to work and have children who have to go to school.

I'm sure I've missed bits out, and I'm equally sure that m'learned colleagues will be along shortly to remind me what they are.

Edited by Athy

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Katty, you pay the same for a boat licence (for use on CART waters, which is nearly all canals and the odd river) wherever you intend to moor. The only way you can save money is by paying promptly, i.e. before the starting date of your licence, which attracts a generous discount, 10% I think. Licences are normally issued for one year and are calculated on the length of your boat. As an example (and from memory) ours, a 45-footer, cost £760 to licence this year.

So, now you have a licensed boat, which you will also have insured (not expensive). You now have to decide where you're going to keep her. There are basically three choices:

- Marina. This the most expensive option but you'll also get the best facilities, such as somewhere to empty your loo, water taps, diesel pump,dustbins, possibly electric power sockets, possibly a washing machine, possibly a shop and an on-site fitter, mechanic or what you will. A few marinas even have their own pub!

- Bankside. This is a designated mooring which may be owned by CART or by a private person such as a farmer. Facilities range from sod all to quite good - such as mooring rings, water tap, toilet and other waste disposal, lights. Some are on the towpath side; others are on the offside and are generally considered more secure.

- Continuous cruising. This means that you have no designated home mooring and must move at least every 14 days, though CART are vague about how far you must move - fine if you are retired or a lady of leisure, not so fine if you have to go to work and have children who have to go to school.

I'm sure I've missed bits out, and I'm equally sufre that m'learned colleagues will be along shortly to remind me what they are.

thanks..thats very useful

• 2 weeks later...

moorings there are

1 continuous cruising moving to another place when time is up visitor moorings signed elsewhere 14 days max.

2 Leisure moorings you pay your money and leave the boat but can stay on it for a limited time dictated by mooring owners terms.

3 Live aboard if permitted by mooring owner basic condition is be away from the mooring for 2 calendar months each year to avoid local council problems.

4 residential right to stay on boat all year on owners mooring this will probably incur council tax which you have to pay over and above mooring fees.

1 hour ago, b0atman said:

1 continuous cruising moving to another place when time is up visitor moorings signed elsewhere 14 days max.

I think that this will be meaningless to OP.

Whilst the individual words are in English as a whole the sentence is meaningless, maybe punctuation and a re-ordering of the words would help.

1) If continuous cruising you do not need to have (or pay for a mooring), you can stop pretty much anywhere you like for up to 14 days, unless it is 'signed' for a shorter duration (typically 48 hours, for example), after the 14 days you must 'move-on' to somewhere else, where your time starts again.

• Angry 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Whilst the individual words are in English as a whole the sentence is meaningless, maybe punctuation and a re-ordering of the words would help.

1) If continuous cruising you do not need to have (or pay for a mooring), you can stop pretty much anywhere you like for up to 14 days, unless it is 'signed' for a shorter duration (typically 48 hours, for example), after the 14 days you must 'move-on' to somewhere else, where your time starts again.

exactly why i do not use this site much

• Happy 1

20 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Didn't that Morecambe and Wise have a better way of putting it .... "All the words are right but not necessarily in the correct order"

..........Dave

• Greenie 1

On 03/12/2017 at 11:26, dmr said:

Didn't that Morecambe and Wise have a better way of putting it .... "All the words are right but not necessarily in the correct order"

..........Dave

I think that was about Andrew Preview’s (sic) piano playing ;)

All the Correct notes, just not necessarily in the right order. 

It’s a bit like the quip about a band. “What a band! Every musician a virtuoso on his own instrument. It’s only when they get together that they make a noise like this!”

On 19 November 2017 at 17:44, Athy said:

I'm sure I've missed bits out, and I'm equally sure that m'learned colleagues will be along shortly to remind me what they are.

It depends were you are, rivers only licence is a bit cheaper.