Project Boat: Interior Hull + Interior Refit

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, IsabelleSAllen said:

Non pc option sounds good to me, i'm sure i could muster some kind of motley gang to help.

what are signs it needs doing, as i expect most boat's paint have signs of wear and tear?

Everyone will have a different 'needs doing' indicators.

Rust patches, blisters, scratches for me.

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Time and again boaters on here who keep proper records over long periods of time, say 'maintenance' broadly has cost them an average of £5,000 a year. 

Ok, well i will prepare for that , and hope for better!

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Everyone will have a different 'needs doing' indicators.

Rust patches, blisters, scratches for me.

Ok thanks. I would never change a boats name, but is it sacrilege to change it's colour too? i don't want to encourage anymore bad luck on a 5mm hulled 80's springer....

3 minutes ago, IsabelleSAllen said:

Ok, well i will prepare for that , and hope for better!

And I should have mentioned the expenditure is extremely 'lumpy'. Many years you'll spend only £1,000, once in a rare while, £10,000. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Isabelle, a lot of narrowboats are painted “non professionally” some do it in a covered dry dock & some outdoors, some look pretty good, some look a bit iffy - depends on if you want a shiny expensive job which you leave to the professional people or happy with a paint job that you do yourself & it keeps the weather out.

plenty of diy help on you tube. 

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 18:09, rusty69 said:

Here is a link to other things you should know,published by Starcoaster,who also has a springer

Starcoaster found herself the owner of a Springer as a result of a late night Ebay bid.

You could try looking there. No opportunity for a pre-purchase survey, but you might get a bargain.

34 ft Springer in need of a complete refit Currently at £4,100

s-l500.jpg

32 ft boat - fully fitted £7500

s-l1600.jpg

19 minutes ago, IsabelleSAllen said:

Haha, that sounds achievable! did you do it in dry storage? i suppose its impossible/impractical to do it moored up in a marina instead?

And ok, but an eye for an eye, a brush for a brush

Did some of the prep at marina, and on canal towpath. and painted in floating dock at marina.We spent two hours in the Ashby tunnel as I had just applied primer and it started raining:)

26 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Starcoaster found herself the owner of a Springer as a result of a late night Ebay bid.

You could try looking there. No opportunity for a pre-purchase survey, but you might get a bargain.

34 ft Springer in need of a complete refit Currently at £4,100

s-l500.jpg

Thank you! Yes i was actually keeping an eye on these two! Not sure my confidence with risk of survey though, but still, will consider for sure!

19 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Did some of the prep at marina, and on canal towpath. and painted in floating dock at marina.We spent two hours in the Ashby tunnel as I had just applied primer and it started raining:)

I'll definitely join in next March! 

• Happy 1