Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
jimxtc

Up fo ran Adventure? Realising my dream - but where to start?!

Featured Posts

For as long as I can remember I have wanted to live on a narrowboat and cruise the waterways of the UK.  I can now realise that dream as I am no longer held down by work, relationship, pets or finances.  Trouble is, where to start?!  I have come to realise that I know nothing!  I need to find someone who is looking for an adventure and has time on their hands to do it.  That someone may already have a boat and need crew or company or may want to share the cost of a boat or just crew on a boat I buy.  So many options!

Probably the place to start is with finding who is willing to do a trip around most of the navigable waterways of the UK.  I need someone who can pilot the boat as it is something I cannot do.  I prefer the company of women but I am not looking for a romance here just a skipper!  I am 61 and an interesting character I am told!

Please get in touch if you think this could be you, all options are open.

9 hours ago, jimxtc said:

For as long as I can remember I have wanted to live on a narrowboat and cruise the waterways of the UK.  I can now realise that dream as I am no longer held down by work, relationship, pets or finances.  Trouble is, where to start?!  I have come to realise that I know nothing!  I need to find someone who is looking for an adventure and has time on their hands to do it.  That someone may already have a boat and need crew or company or may want to share the cost of a boat or just crew on a boat I buy.  So many options!

Probably the place to start is with finding who is willing to do a trip around most of the navigable waterways of the UK.  I need someone who can pilot the boat as it is something I cannot do.  I prefer the company of women but I am not looking for a romance here just a skipper!  I am 61 and an interesting character I am told!

You're not giving us much information. How about:

• Your toilet preferences
  • Are you happy with gas?
  • Do you know which end of a voltmeter to look into?
  • How are you on bowhauling?
  • Do you prefer to have your bottom blacked annually or every 5 years?

Buy your own boat and do it yourself (simple), or let us know why this is a challenge then we can advise you on where to look for the right kind of support.

You could do a two day course eg Willow Training [and others], then you will feel more confident, and see if you like being outdoors in horizontal freezing rain!

It s very unlikely you can't cope with the navigation, there are maps/guides, mileposts and fingerposts.

Edited by LadyG

On 19/11/2017 at 11:59, jimxtc said:

That's a coincidence, so do I!

But only up to a point if I'm brutally honest. The company of vintage diesels can be even better as they don't.... Nah I better not say!

Thank you for your posts and advice, in answer to Matty40s question: I am registered blind and have been for 40 years.  I have some useful sight and can handle things at close quarters such as operating locks, mooring and cooking.  I can't see well enough to skipper a boat when you have to do it from the back!  I am pretty sure the other canal users would rather I find a skipper even though it is pretty difficult to get a 60' boat sideways in most canals!  To be more specific, I have Stargaart's Macular Degeneration which has left me with only peripheral vision.

Thank you LadyG, it is likely I can't cope in light of the foregoing unfortunately but I am undeterred.  I will find a way to be out on the canals.

I am very grateful for all your advice and comments, the more I learn the more I realise I know nothing!

12 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

You're not giving us much information. How about:

• Your toilet preferences
  • Are you happy with gas?
  • Do you know which end of a voltmeter to look into?
  • How are you on bowhauling?
  • Do you prefer to have your bottom blacked annually or every 5 years?

I don't know the answer to most of those questions, I am not sure what the differences are or even what some of them mean!  I think it may be a good learning curve if I were to crew on a boat for a while to learn some of these fundamental things.  Thank you for your comment, it reinforces that I know nothing and do need a lot of help so I don't make a big expensive mistake when I buy a boat.

15 minutes ago, rasputin said:

Find a fiberglass boat that you can drive from the front? 

I did look into that some years ago at the planning stage but they are few and far between.  It is an option but still not sure you'd be happy to meet me coning the other way with my guide dog sat on the prow!