what jobs do people have (without sounding nosey)

katty45

Featured Posts

Just now, Machpoint005 said:

But not very much like one.

Bizzard didn't mention how much adjustment you had to make to the Grand Piano before the Yamaha "sympathiser" sounded like it.

Filling the piano case with tinfoil and drinks cans would be a start,

In fairness the OH's old 1980s Yamaha PF15 electric piano has an excellent tone after I bang it through my Line 6 Bass Pod XT live pedal and fiddle about with the settings.

It's no Steinway though...

• Happy 1

"Whats the third pedal for?" - Victor Borgia said "The pedal in the middle is there to separate the other two pedals"

The OP asked about jobs - obvious really - fix narrowboats during the winter and cruise in summer - did it for about 20 years - outstanding retirement! - sadly now forced to cease

On 11/18/2017 at 13:36, Alan de Enfield said:

According to some classifications bagpipes are also 'woodwind'

But not as musical instruments.

On 11/18/2017 at 14:13, RLWP said:

What about silver bands?

Many were so-called because they are Silver Prize Bands - nothing to do with the material of which the instruments are made.

One of the greatest (possibly the greatest) trumpet player in the world has been known to use a trumpet made of an engineering polymer (plastic to you).

On 11/19/2017 at 16:52, katty45 said:

the middle pedal is a practice pedal meaning when pressed it makes the whole piano sound quieter so u can practise...

I stand to be corrected, but AFAIR on concert grands the middle pedal is 'chord sustain' ie works like the right-hand pedal but only on notes (keys) already depressed. Probably different on one driven by electrickery.

Edited by Machpoint005
sp.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

But not as musical instruments.

Many were so-called because they are Silver Prize Bands - nothing to do with the material of which the instruments are made.

One of the greatest (possibly the greatest) trumpet player in the world has been known to use a trumpet made of an engineering polymer (plastic to you).

Whilst on holiday in Dorset I was wandering along a cliff top very early in the morning ( I am a early riser) and encountered a chap playing his bagpipes, no one else for bloody miles around.

it was glorious, truly one of those moments in life that stay in the memory for ever, before that I never appreciated the instrument at all, still don't if I am honest but that one glorious moment :)

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Whilst on holiday in Dorset I was wandering along a cliff top very early in the morning ( I am a early riser) and encountered a chap playing his bagpipes, no one else for bloody miles around.

This is indeed truly fabulous.

Now, if we can just get them all to do that...! 

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I stand to be corrected, but AFAIR on concert grands the middle pedal is 'chord sustain' ie works like the right-hand pedal but only on notes (keys) already depressed. Probably different on one driven by electrickery.

I knew someone would provide the proper answer eventually. 

Sostenuto, innit

Richard

Edited by RLWP

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

it was glorious, truly one of those moments in life that stay in the memory for ever, before that I never appreciated the instrument at all, still don't if I am honest but that one glorious moment :)

Had the same happen to me on my way to an early morning rowing outing in Cambridge. Cycling across Midsummer Common at first light, the common was covered in a light mist, and from its depths came the unmistakeable sound of the pipes. Very eerie!

On 20/11/2017 at 19:43, katty45 said:

do u reckon i cud get an upright thru a narrowboat widebeam door?

Fair. 

Perhaps not unless it's wide or a combination unit you're happy to remove\refix. 

You could always form a hatch and crane it in as a last resort depending on how highly you value the ability to bash out a bit of incompetent Boogie-woogie at will. :)

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, Furness said:

A silver band usually means that the band at some time in the past has won a silver trophy.

There are several brass bands around with the title "Silver Prize Band" but normally just so and so silver band. 

“And she calls that ‘wobbly’!”