what jobs do people have (without sounding nosey)

katty45

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, katty45 said:

I am a private music teacher and i finish in the eves and saturdays but im worried about the dark etc when i finish and walking down lonely footpaths so just wondering how other people work etc . I may need to stop the evenings and just work sats but look to supplement my income another way. I may be inheriting a widebeam so i am looking at the options.thanks

Hi Katty, welcome to the forum. You may have noticed by now that it doesn't take this lot long to get side tracked, my current theory is that they spend so much time in close proximity to fish that the fish telepathically transmit their attention span through 6mm steel with ease and affect the attention span of long term boaters. Hang on Ive gone :offtopic: myself, bloody fish!

Dont worry about dark tow paths just walk along humming Karl Douglas's Everybody was Kung Foo Fighting and you should be left alone as everyone will naturally assume you are a martial arts expert, or perhaps just someone stuck in the 1970's

• Haha 1

Hi Katty welcome to the forum. I work as a a gardener with regular customers in 3 counties near the canal, hubby does the same. We travel to work from wherever we are moored, covering a linear journey of approx 30 miles before turning and going back. Often affectionately referred to as continuous moorers. I have fortunately never had an issue with walking the towpath in the dark and have a torch app on my phone for light. However I don' know the Nottingham area so a walk along the towpath and a chat with a few boaters will give you a feel for what the area is like. If you get a permanent mooring it may make the work, walking towpath issue easier for you. 

1 hour ago, Bewildered said:

Dont worry about dark tow paths just walk along humming Karl Douglas's Everybody was Kung Foo Fighting and you should be left alone as everyone will naturally assume you are a martial arts expert, or perhaps just someone stuck in the 1970's

If you combine this with dressing like Kirk Douglas' Spartacus you will be feared by all and treated with great respect and deference.

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, rusty69 said:

This Is Dave Gilmour's boat. Hardly a narrow beam :)

It is moored on the Thames at Hampton, opposite Tagg's Island.

OK who nicked the text from Rusty's quote?

220px-Astoria_(Péniche).jpg

Edited by cuthound
To add the last sentance.

16 minutes ago, cuthound said:

This Is Dave Gilmour's boat. Hardly a narrow beam :)

It is moored on the Thames at Hampton, opposite Tagg's Island.

OK who nicked the text from Rusty's quote?

220px-Astoria_(Péniche).jpg

Is it a former Oxford University college barge? I remember there being one moored beside a hotel on the Thames (Four Seasons? Four Corners?) where we tied up for a couple of days once.

A propos, David Gilmour was on telly last night playing a concert at Pompeii, or rather showing off his guitar collection: he played five different ones (three electric, one acoustic, one steel) in the first five songs!

24 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is it a former Oxford University college barge? I remember there being one moored beside a hotel on the Thames (Four Seasons? Four Corners?) where we tied up for a couple of days once.

A propos, David Gilmour was on telly last night playing a concert at Pompeii, or rather showing off his guitar collection: he played five different ones (three electric, one acoustic, one steel) in the first five songs!

Fred Karno of Circus fame ,had it built and used it for Entertainment purposes.D Gilmour has owned it for several Decades.

It is named ASTORIA

Edited by cereal tiller
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

We went to the Floyd exhibition at the V&A last month, where about 50(or maybe it just seemed that way) of his guitars were on display.

• Greenie 1

On 11/18/2017 at 09:41, katty45 said:

I am a private music teacher and i finish in the eves and saturdays but im worried about the dark etc when i finish and walking down lonely footpaths so just wondering how other people work etc . I may need to stop the evenings and just work sats but look to supplement my income another way. I may be inheriting a widebeam so i am looking at the options.thanks

On 11/18/2017 at 12:33, bizzard said:

I thought they only had two pedals like an automatic car.   And then she might be teaching the Bass saxophone or even  just the paper and comb.

the middle pedal is a practice pedal meaning when pressed it makes the whole piano sound quieter so u can practice...

On 11/18/2017 at 13:29, Alan de Enfield said:

You may not be popular in a marina (with another boat moored only 3 feet away).

my piano has headphones..useful. i dont often play my woodwinds anyway. i usually play guitar and write songs.