Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I looked at the Aldi deal a month or two back but couldnt be bothered to get out of bed at 7am to go and make sure I got on

And you made the right decision. Was in the store anyway saw them for £24 and thought why not at that price. Basically it does nothing apart from spin, can hold a piece of tissue paper in front and it will hardly move even if an inch or 2 away. Novelty item at that price, far to insubstantial and light to do anything useful. 

I can see that a proper heavier version may well work but not the Aldi one. 

Having said that, and as someone earlier said, makes an interesting indicator as to when the fire may need to be topped up. 

Aldi machine I'd give 3 out of 10 for its novelty value and 1 out of 10 for effectivness

8 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

May I just enquire as to whether it was a Pugh, Pugh, Barney ,Mcgrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub  Retirement issue Tie?

IT WASN'T MY TIE, OK??!!! 

2 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

IT WASN'T MY TIE, OK??!!! 

Really, sick people who make a joke out of a tragedy. 

18 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

May I just enquire as to whether it was a Pugh, Pugh, Barney ,Mcgrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub  Retirement issue Tie?

IT was a bit of a knotty problem but come to think about it I reckon you'e sitched me up llke a kipper? 

Keep having to edit, it's all this spellcheck affectin' my tiepin'

Edited by nb Innisfree

4 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

IT was a bit of a knotty problem but come to think about it I reckon you'e sitched me up llke a kipper? 

Keep having to edit, it's all this spellcheck affectin' my tiepin'

Try and forget the Tiepin it was lost to you along with Beautiful Tie, just, just,Let it all go  free yourself from the Spectre of the EVILFAN ,Now!

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have both a genuine Ecofan and a Stirling engine five-blade fan on my stove.

Between them they are equally effective as my two Smartgauges. 

But, whilst your Smartgauges appear to be neither use nor ornament,  your fans, particularly the Stirling engine version, are at least ornamental.

By the way, please stop mentioning the Stirling engine, or I'll also become the owner 2 fans of dubious effectiveness. The things with the1970's calculator display have rather less attraction. 

19 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

How many blades would it take to start moving the fan backwards, or maybe forwards...

When I needed to move my rayburn I bolted two ecofans to either side pointing to the floor and stoked up the fire.

The range was hovering weightless making the move effortless but things started to go wrong as the fire got hotter and the blades spun faster..

The Rayburn eventually burst through the roof and landed three fields away when the fire finally burnt out.

Remember, in Summer you can put your ecofan on the fridge and it will run in reverse keeping the whole boat nice and cool.

By Jove, scrap those dirty diesel engines, i have cracked it...

Paint the roof black, stick a couple of eco fans to the roof at the back, point them backwards, inside of the boat gets hot, heat travels through the roof and the fans kick in, the extreme power of two eco fans will thrust the boat forwards...

Two points though, if you get caught speeding, its not my fault, be careful the fans do not blow you overboard.

Your welcome!

Whenever I have posted a rational argument the doubters just waffle on. There's none so blind.......

At last a constructive debate, mostly!

So, with kettle on stove and ecofan on stove, the kettle just about simmers. Without ecofan, kettle boils. Has a burglar robbed the joules? Where has the heat gone if ecofan doesn't work.

• Happy 1

6 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Whenever I have posted a rational argument the doubters just waffle on. There's none so blind.......

At last a constructive debate, mostly!

So, with kettle on stove and ecofan on stove, the kettle just about simmers. Without ecofan, kettle boils. Has a burglar robbed the joules? Where has the heat gone if ecofan doesn't work.

The Aloooominum Structure of the Econfan will draw heat from the Top plate of the Stove and disperse it to the Boat's interior, thereby Preventing the Kettle from boiling.

• Greenie 1

On 17/11/2017 at 13:06, Machpoint005 said:

The ecofan is a heat sink.

No it isn't!

Well the top half of an ecofan is a heat sink I suppose. The bottom half is a heat collector, and the middle bit is a Peltier cell which uses the heat difference to generate electricity to run the motor.

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Maybe they are waiting for you to supply the Nag champa and patchouli joss sticks:)

Nag Champa, is that something Imbibed by the Joyful Owners/Punters after their Horse has just won a Race?

ETA just looked it up,I think it can be added to Curries

Edited by cereal tiller
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cereal tiller said:

Nag Champa, is that something Imbibed by the Joyful Owners/Punters after their Horse has just won a Race?

Judging by the smell,its more likely to come out of the said horse rather than a bottle. I know,as my Mrs burns it to try and cover the smell of the cats poo.

Caframo did commmission some testing of their Ecofan 800, looking at potential fuel savings. The report is at http://www.ecofan.ch/pdf/Studie_Energieeinsparung_Ecofan_komplett.pdf

ABSTRACT

An experimental study is presented that provides credible evidence that the use of an Ecofan 800 fan on a wood stove reduces the amount of fuel required to maintain a prescribed level of thermal comfort. Test procedures and protocols based on existing standards and norms have been incorporated into a test facility that allows for a detailed examination of the dynamic heat transfer characteristics associated with woodstove operation in a controlled environment. Experimental results are validated using numerical simulations that further substantiate that the test findings show that the use of an Ecofan 800 fan during woodstove operation provides an average fuel saving of 14% for a range of test conditions studied while maintaining user comfort levels over extended periods. 

Might be of interest to people, or easy to pick fault with.

10 minutes ago, andy3196 said:

Caframo did commmission some testing of their Ecofan 800, looking at potential fuel savings. The report is at http://www.ecofan.ch/pdf/Studie_Energieeinsparung_Ecofan_komplett.pdf

Might be of interest to people, or easy to pick fault with.

Interesting

CONCLUSION

Test results shown in the preceding section of this report strongly suggest improvement in fuel saving and occupant thermal comfort when an Ecofan 800 fan is used with wood stoves. In all the tests, a consistent and considerable percentage in fuel saving is reported when the thermo electric fan is used with the wood stove. The fuel saving is from 6% to 28% with an average of 14.1%,<snip>

Edited by rusty69

52 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

No waffle just humour.

Lighten up.

I don't care if anyone has an Ecofan or not but I reserve the right to tease mercilessly.

As far as "blind" is concerned I am a former Materials Engineer with knowledge of temperature gradients within ovens and furnaces in the textiles industry.

I did my own tests with an Ecofan that was a gift and found no difference in temperature variance over the whole length of my 45' open plan cabin with or without the fan on the stove.

After playing with it for a while I gave it to someone who had drunk the koolaid who still swears by it to this day. 

• Happy 1

I recently bought a Cosystove 4 bladed stove fan from eBay for £35.99. I certainly wouldn't have spent ecofan money on such an experiment, but for that price I felt it worth a try.

I can report that it is nicely made and totally silent in operation and it has a bimetallic strip that goes some way to prevent overheating and it does move the warm air around.  

It does start to spin with the stove at low output, but it doesn't shift enough air to make a difference to the cabin until the stove is cranked up a bit.

I bought it because our cabin suffers heavily from thermal stratification, with our heads too hot and our feet too cold and I can confirm that there has certainly been an improvement, however it isn't good enough to make the punkha wala redundant.

• Greenie 1