Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Canal World is funded by our loyal members. Please feel free do donate to us by clicking here. Thank you 

Featured Posts

I humbly apologise for the upset caused by your assuming I was including the duck in the list of stuff that does not work. Ducks as I know, having had 2 on our first narrowboat marmaduke and Woodstock being their respective handles work very hard. They worked hard in their respective duties pooing and quacking. The reason I say handles was this was 1982 when CB radios were all the rage. ( anybody under 45 may now tune out), and we had dodgy am radios in those days on the boats and in my mota. The main role for the ducks was to get under the feet of any plod attempting to investigate the dubious aerial  on the boat, or quack a pre determined code should the CB fuzz cruise over the swan and bottle bridge while we were 10/4 ing with our other waterborne good buddies. ( usually Geoff on numerous. ) many times the CB radio got stashed following a duck alert until  we realised that marmaduke was infact a boy duck and Woodstock of an alternate gender, and rather than being the secret code he was merely being amorous .( or was it the other way round)

they got rehoused at denham deep lock after a peach related incident in a traffic jam on the north circular, when they decided that traveling in an open top spitfire was far too much fun. I believe on that occasion they made the news, and we had to slink off and remove the evidence, and the CB radios. Of course once the radios had gone there was no use for their skills and their size by then (Aylesbury,)such that rather than hosing off we were down to mucking out. They kept Paddy the lucky at denham happy for years.

As I am in Australia I will give you the local apology. I apologise for anything my ancestor may or may not have done to you or your ancestors. We invaded your country, forced benefits alcohol and drugs on you and attempted to bring in an organisation ethic. If I could I'd go back and give my ancestors a good talking to.

sorry.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I humbly apologise for the upset caused by your assuming I was including the duck in the list of stuff that does not work. Ducks as I know, having had 2 on our first narrowboat marmaduke and Woodstock being their respective handles work very hard. They worked hard in their respective duties pooing and quacking. The reason I say handles was this was 1982 when CB radios were all the rage. ( anybody under 45 may now tune out), and we had dodgy am radios in those days on the boats and in my mota. The main role for the ducks was to get under the feet of any plod attempting to investigate the dubious aerial  on the boat, or quack a pre determined code should the CB fuzz cruise over the swan and bottle bridge while we were 10/4 ing with our other waterborne good buddies. ( usually Geoff on numerous. ) many times the CB radio got stashed following a duck alert until  we realised that marmaduke was infact a boy duck and Woodstock of an alternate gender, and rather than being the secret code he was merely being amorous .( or was it the other way round)

they got rehoused at denham deep lock after a peach related incident in a traffic jam on the north circular, when they decided that traveling in an open top spitfire was far too much fun. I believe on that occasion they made the news, and we had to slink off and remove the evidence, and the CB radios. Of course once the radios had gone there was no use for their skills and their size by then (Aylesbury,)such that rather than hosing off we were down to mucking out. They kept Paddy the lucky at denham happy for years.

As I am in Australia I will give you the local apology. I apologise for anything my ancestor may or may not have done to you or your ancestors. We invaded your country, forced benefits alcohol and drugs on you and attempted to bring in an organisation ethic. If I could I'd go back and give my ancestors a good talking to.

sorry.

Humble apology accepted.

I too was into CB in the days before and after they legalised the FM stuff......and then latterly moved on to the ham bands. It was really good at the time and the way you got the motorway traffic info that is now so easily available. Didnt have a boat then .....so no ducks....but did have a Spitfire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robbo said:

Mine works on my boat and it’s not a placebo effect.   I didn’t get mine primarly as a stove fan, but as a nice engineering ornament for on top of the stove and seeing the workings move ( I have a Warpfive Sidewinder ).

I am so tempter to get one of those,does it make much noise when running

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I am so tempter to get one of those,does it make much noise when running

 Not really, if you are near it you can just hear it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Was it this one?

sjm_0823.jpg

No, mine was yellow and didnt have a fan at the front. Is that a duck or a chicken on the side?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dr Bob said:

No, mine was yellow and didnt have a fan at the front. Is that a duck or a chicken on the side?

Its a duck.

 

A mate on mine had a yellow Spitfire. It was written off one day when we were both in it in London.He managed to hit a car side on,and put it on its roof. Spent the next year re-building it. Sold it to a Dr chap who was into plastics and boats:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Its a duck.

 

A mate on mine had a yellow Spitfire. It was written off one day when we were both in it in London.He managed to hit a car side on,and put it on its roof. Spent the next year re-building it. Sold it to a Dr chap who was into plastics and boats:)

Oooouch!

Can't have been me. Wasnt into boats then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listen up guys. Important information coming. Dont know if any of you watch the Beeb weather but we are in the process of seeing the biggest SSW event for years. SSW does not stand for stupid sausage wearers.....no, its Sudden Stratopheric Warming, ie the high level air above the north pole warms up......... @Roland , you can see where this is going. The effect of this that the normal west to east High level (ie Stratosphere) winds are reversed and go east to west instead. This then slows down the jet stream (tropospheric winds) or even stops it so the Atlantic fronts stop coming....and we all die of frostbite.....we are all doomed...... The weather models are having a tough job of deciding what this means with all of them saying we will get a high pressure near the UK in 10 days time and then if the high is to the north of the UK we will get 2 weeks of exceptionally cold weather from eastern europe, the canals will freeze up and Steve will turn of the water in the marina. Half the models are saying the high will be to the south of the UK so that means warm, balmy weather from the Azores.

It is vital therefore that in 10 days time, we stoke up our fires, turn our fans to the south and blast air towards France to build the high pressure. Roland, a bit of help from your direction would be appreciated.

As I said earlier......we are all doomed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm I jumped on my bike this morning and hurtled down to Aldi. I said hurtled because pedalling was not required in the 109kph wind. ( it's started) I spoke to 'Hans' as he is called the manager. I requested that he break open the left handed Eco fans he has 'stashed' for winter. Instead of his usual smile he said ' no the left handed fans  are verboten ';  inspite of the Coriolis effect I said rights might do. 'No you do not understand he said neither have passed the lgbtizfor testing in Victoria. They are not permitted unless  they ' swing' both ways randomly ,you are breaking the rules by using them until they are fixed.  Also the fridge function is kaput they are not attracted by fridges. ( sometimes I wonder about his grasp of English after being forced to Argentina a while back).He said he had tried removing components but could not get satisfaction directionally whatever route he took. 

so I can't help much there are no fans available unless you can tie a few on a big balloon and make sure they head east to us.

I do have one idea in a few days time it's my birthday.  On being declared officially too old to operate the  nhs will hurle such largess in my direction that every daily mail reader will have a fit about my vast public sector pension ruining the economy, and being a drag on society, this  will generate hot air warming the uk.  ( they forgot about working night and day and getting paid peanuts whilst I slaved heroically to keep society safe) Secondly My platinum plated pension being delivered to the bank by a fleet of trucks will cause massive heat from the trucks engines and melt the snow.

i fear unless Hans can come up with the goods shortly , I am going to be unable to assist but wil keep you in the loop. Try and maintain communications until the bitter end..

I'll keep thinking of solutions but you know scrapheap and all that

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, just to let you know... (at the risk of getting back on topic)  

That i have tested our cheaper fan against a more expensive fan.  

Result.  I my opinion it was better!!  It moved about the same amount of air but started sooner and stayed on longer.

If anyone is interested I'll try to do a video of them both at the same time with something to show the air movement for each.

I'll also try and get a duck in there somewhere.   

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have just seen your duck, has he been to Canada for more fans?

Capture.JPG

Have a greenie for that one Brian. I wanted to give it to you yesterday but I ran out.

1 hour ago, Kinver Canopies said:

Right, just to let you know... (at the risk of getting back on topic)  

That i have tested our cheaper fan against a more expensive fan.  

Result.  I my opinion it was better!!  It moved about the same amount of air but started sooner and stayed on longer.

If anyone is interested I'll try to do a video of them both at the same time with something to show the air movement for each.

I'll also try and get a duck in there somewhere.   

......getting us back on Topic. MrSmelly wont like it if you show a video of a fan working...

so YES PLEASE .......and as Rusty69 usually says (but I will beat him to it .....for the 2nd time today), I get the popcorn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

never mind the duck...

 

My God! You are not allowed to glue cats to the top of the stove. Their feet might get too hot. My duck would melt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we have had our fan for over a week now. I am now certain @mrsmelly is correct. (if only I'd listened to the voice of reason)

Makes no difference at all on our set-up. The only use it has is as an indicator of when to bung some more coal on, and I know when to do that anyway.

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well, we have had our fan for over a week now. I am now certain @mrsmelly is correct. (if only I'd listened to the voice of reason)

Makes no difference at all on our set-up. The only use it has is as an indicator of when to bung some more coal on, and I know when to do that anyway.

Boooooo..ooooo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Well, we have had our fan for over a week now. I am now certain @mrsmelly is correct. (if only I'd listened to the voice of reason)

Makes no difference at all on our set-up. The only use it has is as an indicator of when to bung some more coal on, and I know when to do that anyway.

Yep..........................:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

It's the unseen effects that are relevant.. Eco fans are causal of nearly 40 pages of hot air.

More like 2 and a half foot of luke warm air.

 

Maybe 40 poster were in their bedrooms at the other end of the boat and typing to avoid frostbite and frozen body parts.

 

I must remember to take the bangers out of the freezer.:unsure:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, brassedoff said:

More like 2 and a half foot of luke warm air.

 

Maybe 40 poster were in their bedrooms at the other end of the boat and typing to avoid frostbite and frozen body parts.

 

I must remember to take the bangers out of the freezer.:unsure:

 

 

 

Put them in front of the eco fan for thirty seconds. They will defrost better than the defrost setting on the microwave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Put them in front of the eco fan for thirty seconds. They will defrost better than the defrost setting on the microwave.

Bad advice. They may blow away.

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×