Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

As a new owner of an Eco-fan,how do I prevent the peltier element from overheating? Should I invest in a thermostatically controlled cooling fan too?

Assuming that is not a wind up and its a genuine Ecofan then you will find it has a small bimetallic strip on the bottom that tilts the base upwards as it gets too hot.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Assuming that is not a wind up and its a genuine Ecofan then you will find it has a small bimetallic strip on the bottom that tilts the base upwards as it gets too hot.

Course its not a "wind up" its a peltier type:)

No,its not a genuine eco-fan, just a cheap rip off. I did get a flue pipe thermometer with it, which suggests optimum temperature of the pipe should be between 100 and 300 degrees c, and the fan suggests no more than 340 degrees c. I measured the flue pipe (and top plate) at a lot less than this, so guess the fan should be ok.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I wouldn't take this thread seriously Tony, its 95% windup, maybe more

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wouldn't take this thread seriously Tony, its 95% windup, maybe more

I was thinking of inventing a "Rubber powered" eco fan, but suspect bizzard has already done it, and I couldn't find any heat resistant rubber bands!

21 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

No,its not a genuine eco-fan, just a cheap rip off. I did get a flue pipe thermometer with it, which suggests optimum temperature of the pipe should be between 100 and 300 degrees c, and the fan suggests no more than 340 degrees c. I measured the flue pipe (and top plate) at a lot less than this, so guess the fan should be ok.

Even the £25 Aldi version has a metal strip on the base which tilts it to avoid overheating.

7 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Even the £25 Aldi version has a metal strip on the base which tilts it to avoid overheating.

Well, blow me.Just checked mine and that too has one. My silly joke has backfired hasn't it!

Dunno how it will cope with the 1680g weight though.

Edited by rusty69

5 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Too subtle maybe! 

Trouble is, the way my fan is positioned, the tilting of it will put the element closer to the flue pipe,causing it to heat up further. Eventually the whole bloody thing will be leaning against the flue pipe:)

16 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Trouble is, the way my fan is positioned, the tilting of it will put the element closer to the flue pipe,causing it to heat up further. Eventually the whole bloody thing will be leaning against the flue pipe:)

You shouldn't stand it with its back to the flue, it should be at the back of the stove

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I guess you have the same 'baby equaliser' as the duck does.

Same dire warnings about raising the temperature above 350C and the world ending.

The top of my stove struggles to reach 300C even with the a decent fision reaction going on inside so i wouldnt be worried about the baby equaliser. Never looked for a metalic strip on mine. Just stick it on the stove and off you go. Our stove top is small so the fan is dragging hot air from the flue. No problem. Makes the circulating air hotter. If the flue is too hot, then it would slow the fan down as the temperature differential would be less but no evidence from mine that the fan slows down with the flue hotter.

My top plate is typically 170-200C and the flue circa 150C at the bottom. The fan goes round bloody fast!

....edit. and it is at the front of the stove so the flue is behind the fan.

Edited by Dr Bob

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I guess you have the same 'baby equaliser' as the duck does.

Same dire warnings about raising the temperature above 350C and the world ending.

The top of my stove struggles to reach 300C even with the a decent fision reaction going on inside so i wouldnt be worried about the baby equaliser. Never looked for a metalic strip on mine. Just stick it on the stove and off you go. Our stove top is small so the fan is dragging hot air from the flue. No problem. Makes the circulating air hotter. If the flue is too hot, then it would slow the fan down as the temperature differential would be less but no evidence from mine that the fan slows down with the flue hotter.

My top plate is typically 170-200C and the flue circa 150C at the bottom. The fan goes round bloody fast!

....edit. and it is at the front of the stove so the flue is behind the fan.

It is indeed, said Baby equaliser, positioned on Morso squirrel sideways on with the back to the flue pipe.

It looks to have a strip on the bottom that may well be a bi-metal safety device, which if activated will put the top of the fan (and peltier module) closer to the fluepipe.

As you say, this will reduce the temperature differential, and reduce speed fan. My only questions now are , where do I get a duck, and will it help?

The new flue thermometer never gets above 100 degrees,so is either faulty, or I am too tight to put more fuel on.

2 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

BUT THEY DONT WORK

You feel an effect because you have paid money for them.

placebo product plc like paracetamol targeted at rheumatism , and costing more. Content 500mg paracetamol.

Lets get this straight. The duck does work. We paid good money for him. Each morning he does the rounds of the floor eating up all the crumbs. When we go out he is the perfect guard duck and quacks loudly when anyone steps on board....and he is in charge of speed management of the fan ( an important job). I resent your accusation that the duck doesn't work and hope you will apologise.

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Lets get this straight. The duck does work. We paid good money for him. Each morning he does the rounds of the floor eating up all the crumbs. When we go out he is the perfect guard duck and quacks loudly when anyone steps on board....and he is in charge of speed management of the fan ( an important job). I resent your accusation that the duck doesn't work and hope you will apologise.

Why should we  take the "quack who has gone to the dogs" seriously, though?

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, rusty69 said:

It is indeed, said Baby equaliser, positioned on Morso squirrel sideways on with the back to the flue pipe.

It looks to have a strip on the bottom that may well be a bi-metal safety device, which if activated will put the top of the fan (and peltier module) closer to the fluepipe.

As you say, this will reduce the temperature differential, and reduce speed fan. My only questions now are , where do I get a duck, and will it help?

The new flue thermometer never gets above 100 degrees,so is either faulty, or I am too tight to put more fuel on.

Yes a duck will defo help. See above post. Speed management is critical.

Your stuck thermometer is because it is not syncronising. They are perfectly calibrated in the factory. Obviously your stove is only 85% full. Fill it up and then let it cool and it should start reading properly. It will the get more accurate day by day. If that fails, get the duck (which you should have purchased by now) to peck at the biscuit crumbs that are blocking the thermometer. The crumb will be in the 3rd hole down on the right.

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Obviously your stove is only 85% full. Fill it up and then let it cool and it should start reading properly. It will the get more accurate day by day.

I used to monitor the fuel level,and try not to let it fall below 50%.I now monitor chimney current and refuel when it falls to below 1%

3 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

BUT THEY DONT WORK

You feel an effect because you have paid money for them.

placebo product plc like paracetamol targeted at rheumatism , and costing more. Content 500mg paracetamol.

Mine works on my boat and it’s not a placebo effect.   I didn’t get mine primarly as a stove fan, but as a nice engineering ornament for on top of the stove and seeing the workings move ( I have a Warpfive Sidewinder ).

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I used to monitor the fuel level,and try not to let it fall below 50%.I now monitor chimney current and refuel when it falls to below 1%

I don't like currents round the chimney. Mrs Bob keeps introducing them via the hot cross bun type things she puts on the top of the stove to burn. They get too black so the duck doesn't eat them . I would say then don't look at current to assess if it's full. Just use the thermometer. However most of the time it won't be accurate. As the temp reaches the max, some of the fuel will have been burnt away so it can't be 100% full anymore, can it? Best to get a PhD in stove temperature or better still make sure the duck you buy has one.

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Defo agree with the 50%. If you let it go lower you risk loosing the fire and it will be no more. You will then have to start another one.

• Haha 2