Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Right listen up all. Serious stuff now!  Pay attention! Armed now with a strobe light (via phone app...Thanks Robbo for the heads up on the app) and an IR laser guided themometer I have now checked the speed of my super fan against stove temperature as it heated up yesterday after a couple of weeks off the boat. Here are the results.

I only started measuring fan speed when the stove top temp got to 100°C but the fans starts turning at 50°C ish. Surprised it got over 1500rpm at 100°C. RPM then increases as the stove gets hotter. I was measuring temperature on the top of the stove next to the fan. As temp got to 200°C the revs were too high to get an accurate reading on the strobe app without too much fiddling so I left it at that. We normally run the stove with a top temp of 180-200ish when its cold and we need heat. 2,500rpm....Wow. That's faster than my car goes and 4 times faster than @Robbo. I'm not putting my fingers in there! Seriously thinking about how to harvest this energy:giggles: No wonder my  fuel bill has gone down 30%.

Not a bad 'staight line' for a bodge experiment with a dodgy phone and a plastic thermometer;)

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 12.18.37.png

Edited by Dr Bob

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

We normally run the stove with a top temp of 180-200ish when its cold and we need heat. 2,500rpm....Wow. That's faster than my car goes and 4 times faster than @Robbo. I'm not putting my fingers in there! Seriously thinking about how to harvest this energy:giggles: No wonder my  fuel bill has gone down 30%.

I'll get some new figures as it now looks to be going faster after I cleaned the shaft, need to excuse to buy a laser thermometer as well :) 

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

need to excuse to buy a laser thermometer as well :) 

They are great fun. You can sit in your chair and announce to everyone what the temp of the walls and floor is. Better than watching telly. Drives Mrs Bob mad.

Some people are easily satisfied.

Its accurate at -19°C (freezer temperature) but reads 7°C at the 4°C (fridge temp). Must try it on a boiling kettle. Not a clue how accurate it is at stove temps......but does it matter?

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

They are great fun. You can sit in your chair and announce to everyone what the temp of the walls and floor is. Better than watching telly. Drives Mrs Bob mad.

Some people are easily satisfied.

Its accurate at -19°C (freezer temperature) but reads 7°C at the 4°C (fridge temp). Must try it on a boiling kettle. Not a clue how accurate it is at stove temps......but does it matter?

Which one do you have?

13 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Which one do you have?

I got a Titan (Titan power tools ltd) from Screwfix for around £35 in December but just looked at the site now and they have stopped selling it. The other one I was looking at was

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-stht0-77365-infrared-non-contact-digital-thermometer/8374j#product_additional_details_container

but cant for the life of me remember why I thought the Titan was better. The Stanley one should be ok.

Just checked the flue while sitting here typing. Only 68.1°C. Needs some more wood. :banghead:

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

I got a Titan (Titan power tools ltd) from Screwfix for around £35 in December but just looked at the site now and they have stopped selling it. The other one I was looking at was

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-stht0-77365-infrared-non-contact-digital-thermometer/8374j#product_additional_details_container

but cant for the life of me remember why I thought the Titan was better. The Stanley one should be ok.

Just checked the flue while sitting here typing. Only 68.1°C. Needs some more wood. :banghead:

Slow the fan down, the wood will burn slower.

16 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

OK, OK, so the fan spins. How much (warm) air does it move around in a meaningful way, though?

For the answer to that, I would go over to the other Ecofan thread. Can't have factual information on this thread can we? I mean we are on page 34 and still no answer. I don't think Mrsmelly would approve.

17 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

For the answer to that, I would go over to the other Ecofan thread. Can't have factual information on this thread can we? I mean we are on page 34 and still no answer. I don't think Mrsmelly would approve.

The answer to how much warm air is moved about is a very precise calculation which I shall put her " The square root of f/a "

29 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The answer to how much warm air is moved about is a very precise calculation which I shall put her " The square root of f/a "

I hope that f and a both have the same sign, or your quantity of warm air moved will be a complex number. But given the length of this topic, maybe it is?

6 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Right listen up all. Serious stuff now!  Pay attention! Armed now with a strobe light (via phone app...Thanks Robbo for the heads up on the app) and an IR laser guided themometer I have now checked the speed of my super fan against stove temperature as it heated up yesterday after a couple of weeks off the boat. Here are the results.

I only started measuring fan speed when the stove top temp got to 100°C but the fans starts turning at 50°C ish. Surprised it got over 1500rpm at 100°C. RPM then increases as the stove gets hotter. I was measuring temperature on the top of the stove next to the fan. As temp got to 200°C the revs were too high to get an accurate reading on the strobe app without too much fiddling so I left it at that. We normally run the stove with a top temp of 180-200ish when its cold and we need heat. 2,500rpm....Wow. That's faster than my car goes and 4 times faster than @Robbo. I'm not putting my fingers in there! Seriously thinking about how to harvest this energy:giggles: No wonder my  fuel bill has gone down 30%.

Not a bad 'staight line' for a bodge experiment with a dodgy phone and a plastic thermometer;)

This Data is only Useful if 'Borrox's Law is applied (Ancient Chinese Fizzics)

• Haha 1

This is what this topic, and CWDF in general needs. Properly documented scientific experiments with graphs. I'm not sure what someone's going to use the data for, or whether Dr Bob has any idea, but he's put it out there in the community like a 1980s mental hospital patient so let's see how it gets on. One day someone will use it as part of some big breakthrough, standing on the shoulders of giants as it were. Meanwhile, all you eco fan owners, please devise an experiment you can perform with yours. Doesn't matter too much what that is, but the more novel the better, so long as you can provide us with a nice graph of the results. It all adds to the body of research performed so far.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

Right listen up all. Serious stuff now! 

What kind of talk is that them? Woken up to that aggressive missive from the dulcet sounds of owstralian cars accelerating towards McDonald's? ( it's 8 kms away but you need a good run up and at least 200kw to get there) anyway unusually I digress.

Australia Day: Severe heatwave conditions forecast for SA, Vic and Tasmania over long weekend

look what you have done... there are consequences. The world is a sealed ecosphere. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction....

bloody Eco fans, now I've got to go to aldi and buy two contra rotating fans to blow your wind back

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Got into trouble today for saying "F off" to her indoors. It was ten minutes before I could get a word in edgeways to explain the F had fallen off the bag that contains the handbell of note F, and fallen on the floor.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

What kind of talk is that them? Woken up to that aggressive missive from the dulcet sounds of owstralian cars accelerating towards McDonald's? ( it's 8 kms away but you need a good run up and at least 200kw to get there) anyway unusually I digress.

Australia Day: Severe heatwave conditions forecast for SA, Vic and Tasmania over long weekend

look what you have done... there are consequences. The world is a sealed ecosphere. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction....

bloody Eco fans, now I've got to go to aldi and buy two contra rotating fans to blow your wind back

Yes this is troubling. My theory is that all the eco fans on our boats in the U.K. .....and none down your way .....are causing the Madden Julian Oscillation (look it up) sending pulses of energy round the globe and interacting with the El Niño to enhance climate change. The MJO is not well understood in weather modeling.

I thought the madden Julian oscillation was the movement the local drug infected halfwits ( sorry quarterwits we are in Victoria) made when I tell them they are going back to the police cells and not to the warm comfort of the mental health unit...

climate change is not happening the world is flat all that's changing is we are now measuring it. Eco fans used collectively should balance out the worlds temperature. I'll swop you a bit of 38 for a bit of -2 ... let the fans rip till we get to 20 degrees in both hemispheres simultaneously.  The polar bears might moan a bit but they voted for brexit.

On 24/01/2018 at 12:33, Dr Bob said:

All you need now is an anenometer app so you can measure the wind speed produced by your ecofan :P