Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Because its name made him think of that Denzel Washington film...

Robert McCall: When you pray for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too.

I thought he was played by Ed triple wood in the equalizer TV series

Edited by rusty69

19 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Otherwise known as "science".

Have a greenie.

Certainly the one we had in our first shareboat was demonstrably useless. I put "tinytalk" temperature loggers around the boat, and they read the same whether the ecofan was in the stove or not. 

However I do wonder whether they can work in some configurations of boat, (stove position and furniture position), because so many report that they do work, although it always seems to be anecdotal rather than empirical evIdence based. The alternative is that those who buy them convince themselves that they work...

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Out of interest Dr Bob, why did you pick the one with the lowest star rating?

When I looked a month ago there were no reviews. I would have thought twice if that reveiw had been there then. My view is certainly different from that review. A month on, and ours is working really well. It goes round at low temps, seems to cope when the fire gets really hot and is ultra quiet. Not quite good enough to use as a bow thruster yet. A nice surprise.

39 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Certainly the one we had in our first shareboat was demonstrably useless. I put "tinytalk" temperature loggers around the boat, and they read the same whether the ecofan was in the stove or not. 

Well that was the problem. If you put the fan on the stove it may have worked better than in it?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, cuthound said:

However I do wonder whether they can work in some configurations of boat, (stove position and furniture position), because so many report that they do work, although it always seems to be anecdotal rather than empirical evIdence based. The alternative is that those who buy them convince themselves that they work...

Our stove is like thousands of other layouts, stove next to the cratch - heating the forward living space, dinette and maybe the kitchen.

This one I bought does seem to look better than the early ones. It has a big heat sink at the bottom (1.7Kg total weight) and 5 blade fan. The old ones we have seen look less powerful - you cant really call this one powerful - but I dont fancy sticking my finger in it. If I get round to it next week I will put our 2 thermometers in different places round the boat with the fan off, then on. Cant do it now as the youngest son is pinching the boat for the weekend!!

An Ecofan has, at most, a four-watt (4W) motor.  A cheapo electric fan will use about sixty to one-hundred watts.  Draw your own conclusions as to their relative effectiveness!

Whether it has two, four or five blades will not affect the amount of air moved, only the speed of the fan.  Adding blades or increasing their pitch will cause the speed t drop, nothing else.

As others have said, its only use is decorative and to tell you when to add coal.

Edited by mross

33 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Our stove is like thousands of other layouts, stove next to the cratch - heating the forward living space, dinette and maybe the kitchen.

This one I bought does seem to look better than the early ones. It has a big heat sink at the bottom (1.7Kg total weight) and 5 blade fan. The old ones we have seen look less powerful - you cant really call this one powerful - but I dont fancy sticking my finger in it. If I get round to it next week I will put our 2 thermometers in different places round the boat with the fan off, then on. Cant do it now as the youngest son is pinching the boat for the weekend!!

I Did the Econ Fan test about 10 years ago with 4 Digital Thermometers and Incense Sticks in a 57 Foot Cabin, it did Sweet Frances Adams.

19 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Thats im.

He had an Aversion to the Letter after C, so he changed his name Legally by -ee- Poll?

Edited by cereal tiller
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

I Did the Econ Fan test about 10 years ago with 4 Digital Thermometers and Incense Sticks in a 57 Foot Cabin, it did Sweet Frances Adams.

Obviously as all the posters know I started the thread as a joke and its gone well and light hearted. However it still goes to show that some people will for whatever reason buy useless kit. I like to see them as they do in some designs look good ont stove top. My bro in law a sensible chap has joined us here int marina for a few days and he has one sitting as we speak on his stove, he is no idiot but he actualy believes it works and has explained to me how it does what it does. We were round there at the weekend for lots and lots and lots of G and Ts and on our return to our boat mi missus remarked that his boat wasn't as warm as ours. I explained re our double glazing and very thick sprayfoam which his boat hasn't got and that we burnt more fuel than him etc etc. Still like I said they do look good a bit like a Dyson another piece of expensive crap.

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

There are some model Stirling Engines in the local auction at the end of month. Twin and single cylinder as well as a model beam engine and other steam engines.  I will stay away.

Is that your local area, I could be sooo tempted by more I just have to look the other way.

https://www.stirlingengine.co.uk/compare.asp

8 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Is that your local area, I could be sooo tempted by more I just have to look the other way.

https://www.stirlingengine.co.uk/compare.asp

http://auctions.durrants.com/auction-calendar.asp on 30 Nov, the catalogue is not out yet but I saw them when I visited yesterday to put some stuff in.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Have a greenie.

The placebo effect is powerful medicine. 

6 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Are you using this fan in the UK as it will help us to know the country for its intended use?

:)

:)

Good point, if a couple of dozen Econ Fans were placed on a Hotplate above a Brazier and then Fired up at the very top of the White Cliffs of Dover, the Gulf Stream could be blown off course for ever!

As an ex firefighter I'e seen some grisly sights during my career but I still get flashbacks from the time we were called out to a boat incident where someone had got his tie caught in an Eco fan, gory isn't the word for it.

Therefore it was with great trepidation that I decided to buy one for Innisfree, I needn't have fretted, it actually made our bedroom warmer. 

Funny old world innit? 

20 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

As an ex firefighter I'e seen some grisly sights during my career but I still get flashbacks from the time we were called out to a boat incident where someone had got his tie caught in an Eco fan, gory isn't the word for it.

You are having a laugh, 3 volt dc motor at less that 0.5 amps