Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Well, the motor and wiring will use some of the current to produce heat, as will friction in the bearings. The fan will move some air so the air will have kinetic energy that will eventually be dissipated by friction between air molecules as heat so I think  Ian is correct, but as you say an interesting idea.

Hence the eventual heat death of the universe -- to quote Flanders and Swann, "That's entropy, man!" 😉

On 08/12/2021 at 13:37, Alway Swilby said:

I don't particularly care about any scientific tests to prove whether a stove top fan works or not. IanD can go on about it all he likes about placebos etc. but I know that without a fan on the fire my feet get cold when I'm sitting on the sofa. With a £20 fan on the fire my feet don't get cold. Worth it in my book even if they're proven by science not to work.

You can quite a few pairs of socks for £20, just saying... 😉🤣

On 08/12/2021 at 16:25, tree monkey said:

Welcome to the forum 

It's just banter, although Ian does take it very seriously, he does so love to be right :)

if you want to see real bickering start a toilet thread 

Oh and no they don't work

Really? I hadn't noticed... 😉🤣

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Just what I thought.

The flue is sealed from the pipe connected to the room, this is basically an air-to-air heat exchanger which takes in cool air at floot level, heats it up using the flue, and expels it at roof level -- like a chimney the vertical height helps it draw air in.

It's simply taking more of the heat energy which would be wasted and go out of the chimney (by cooling the flue gases down) and using it to heat up the room.

Edited by IanD

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

This set up looks better than a fan for moving the air, not sure what a BSS chap would say 

The advice given elsewhere for double skinned flues is on the basis that a hotter flue draws better and results in more efficient combustion. This goes the other way in that it extracts more heat from the flue gases than would just radiate from the flue pipe, and so makes the flue gases cooler. Sending less heat out of the chimney must result in more heat being retained in the room, which is after all the objective of having a stove, so I agree with this approach.

On the other hand, insulating the firebox must result in less heat being emitted by the stove body, so does he need the flue heat exchanger to compensate?

7 hours ago, Tonka said:

Do not mess about with an Eco fan

Get one of these https://skaats.com/

Heavy on marketing bolleax and light on engineering details.

I'll bet it works on a Peltier cell, just like all the others and the only innovations are the leather lifting handle, silicone fan, fan guard and choice of colours.

• 11 months later...
On 21/12/2021 at 19:50, cuthound said:

Heavy on marketing bolleax and light on engineering details.

I'll bet it works on a Peltier cell, just like all the others and the only innovations are the leather lifting handle, silicone fan, fan guard and choice of colours.

A cowl on a fan is supposed to stop it throwing air out by centrifugal force and thus improve the fan efficiency, that is why some vehicle cooling fans were cowlled. I can't see it is worth the price though.