Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

• 9 months later...
43 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

Well all I can say is there pants 

don’t do noting at all

Surely is they 'don't do nothing', they must be doing something.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

image.png

Aldi shoppers know they do 'nothing' - the stillage is still full - not one sold.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Surely is they 'don't do nothing', they must be doing something.

Aldi shoppers know they do 'nothing' - the stillage is still full - not one sold.

Well as I said above, I don't even have to get out of bed to know if the stove needs more coal, I can tell by listening to the Ecofan.

I know of at least one other boater who uses theirs for the same purpose.

The aldi one at £17.99 looks identical in all respects to our genuine  Caframo Ecofan which cost probably three times that.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

On the old shareboat, a quick glance through the hatch and down the cabin to see how fast the fan was spinning told us if the stove needed more fuel. Can’t do this on new boat so no point getting a fan.

Plus it saves me having to screw everything down so the mighty fan doesn’t blow it all down the boat ;) 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Ok deniers, explain this...

I put a kettle on my stove, without the fan the kettle will boil, with the fan it only simmers. Where is the extra heat going, to make a difference?

When I have the fan on the woodstove at home the temperature is even throughout the room, without it there are cold spots in the corners. Leave the room doors open and the warm air spreads around the house. On the boat it sends the heat to the cold end of the boat. 

28 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

I put a kettle on my stove, without the fan the kettle will boil, with the fan it only simmers. Where is the extra heat going, to make a difference?

When I have the fan on the woodstove at home the temperature is even throughout the room, without it there are cold spots in the corners. Leave the room doors open and the warm air spreads around the house. On the boat it sends the heat to the cold end of the boat. 

My mate uses two in his cabinetmaking workshop and the workers down the far end know whether they are on the woodburner or not.

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Kiwidad said:

I have my eco fan pointed at a rubber tube which runs the length of the boat and exits at the back. Don’t need to use the engine for propulsion in winter 😎

Well , the boat hasnt moved in weeks so perhaps your tube is blocked.

On 03/12/2021 at 18:36, Jim Riley said:

You could get exactly the same effect by sitting a nice big heatsink with no fan on your stove, it cools the stove down by helping conduct heat away from it into the air, like a radiator.

An Ecofan does just the same, but it only turns a tiny fraction of that heat into useful power to drive the fan because thermoelectric generation is horribly inefficient. See here, where after optimisation of the design (and you can bet most ecofan suppliers don't do this!) one passing over 600W of heat generated about 8W of power -- so I think it's safe to say that most of them will be less than 1% efficient...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6025646/

Edited by IanD

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

You could get exactly the same effect by sitting a nice big heatsink with no fan on your stove, it cools the stove down by helping conduct heat away from it into the air, like a radiator.

An Ecofan does just the same, but it only turns a tiny fraction of that heat into useful power to drive the fan because thermoelectric generation is horribly inefficient. See here, where after optimisation of the design (and you can bet most ecofan suppliers don't do this!) one passing over 600W of heat generated about 8W of power -- so I think it's safe to say that most of them will be less than 1% efficient...

Surely they must be 100% efficient as all dissipated energy is  used to warm the room, 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

But they still work, for 20 beer tokens it's a no brainer. A simple heat sink would keep the heat in the vicinity of the stove,, assisted by convection, whereas there is a greater airflow with the fan. 

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Surely they must be 100% efficient as all dissipated energy is  used to warm the room, 

I was about to ask the same! Where does the absorbed heat energy go if not into electricity, radiated heat or noise energy? (Actually the latter is  after the conversion process, anyway)

Edited by Mike Todd