Leave space for anglers!

rgreg

Featured Posts

56 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Why is the word "Boat" capitalised, that makes it seem a fake to me.  CRT should take copyright action against them for use of the logo.

I agree that is odd, but then there are plenty of examples of awful grammar in CRT utterances. And as I said, I've seen similar signs in the balmy south.  

(Grammar edit!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Why is the word "Boat" capitalised

Great,  it allows me to repeat one of my favourite jokes.

Correct capitalisation is the difference between you helping your Uncle Jack off an horse, and you helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Edited by billS
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, billS said:

Great,  it allows me to repeat one of my favourite jokes.

Correct capitalisation is the difference between you helping your Uncle Jack off an horse, and you helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Would be better to assist uncle Jerk to dismount?:giggles: and allow the Horse to Graze in peace.

58 minutes ago, MJG said:

I think the one in the OP is original, the left justified correct font and size has been used along with the logo and the charity number being correct.

It more than likely is legit, but.....

The heading in Bold is not the same font, look carefully at the shape of the lowercase "a" and you'll see what I mean.
The logo and charity number are easily obtainable, sifting through any published PDF from CRT and then opening them with a program such as Adobe Illustrator will eventually yield a vectored version of the logo that has not been converted to image, which you can then scale as much as you like with no loss of quality.
Any half-competent designer could emulate the house-style of CRT and knock you up a poster in no time.

That said, the mounting method looks more official than you're average militant angler could be bothered with IMHO

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

The heading in Bold is not the same font, look carefully at the shape of the lowercase "a" and you'll see what I mean.

It (the heading) is also a different font to that used on the other poster shown later (the one that says boats have priority) 

29 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

Barmy is derived from the village of Barming, where there was a huge mental asylum -- and it's in Kent, which is very much in the south.

What a delightfully plausible theory, though not a correct one as far as I'm aware: it surely comes from barm, the frothy element of yeast. Cf. the noun "barmpot", a daft person, which is very much a Northern word.

2 hours ago, adam1uk said:

Barmy is derived from the village of Barming, where there was a huge mental asylum -- and it's in Kent, which is very much in the south.

Your definition is indeed carried by just about everyone including Collins, Mirriam Webster and many others. It appears from a quick Google that in fact the only place mentioning Barming is Wiktionary, although it gives no reference for that assertion. 

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/barmy

57 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Your definition is indeed carried by just about everyone including Collins, Mirriam Webster and many others. It appears from a quick Google that in fact the only place mentioning Barming is Wiktionary, although it gives no reference for that assertion. 

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/barmy

It's not just me.  Here and here for example.

1 minute ago, adam1uk said:

It's not just me.  Here and here for example.

That first link, as with Collins etc refers to ‘barm’ and speaks of “frothy and lightheaded” then states “it’s probably worth mentioning” Barming without justifying why it’s worth mentioning other than (like many towns) it has an asylum.

The second link is by some hack called Rose Gibbs - who is she and what makes her an authority on etymology? She gives no references for her assertion. 

Just a quick update on this. Whilst I've had an acknowledgement from the local CRT office that they are looking into it, I see in today's Boaters' Update that the 5m rule is mentioned when on WMs where fishing regularly takes place, so I guess the notice is official.

1 hour ago, rgreg said:

Just a quick update on this. Whilst I've had an acknowledgement from the local CRT office that they are looking into it, I see in today's Boaters' Update that the 5m rule is mentioned when on WMs where fishing regularly takes place, so I guess the notice is official.

This however doesn't answer the bleedin' obvious question, why fish on a visitors mooring in the first place, when there is more canal bank that can't be moored on than bank that can and all of it can be fished on?

26 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

This however doesn't answer the bleedin' obvious question, why fish on a visitors mooring in the first place, when there is more canal bank that can't be moored on than bank that can and all of it can be fished on?

And that is particularly the case where this sign is; a very short, popular mooring area immediately followed by miles of canal that you can't get a boat near the side! 

• Greenie 1

Copied & pasted from Damians Bits & Bobs this week!

As stated in the winter mooring terms and conditions, if the winter mooring site is in a location regularly used by anglers, boaters should leave at least 5 metres between their boat and the next one along to allow space for fishing. Boaters must be prepared to move temporarily to facilitate match pegging and where anglers are aware of when match pegging will take place, they will give you reasonable notice (usually 2 weeks).

58 minutes ago, sharpness said:

As stated in the winter mooring terms and conditions, if the winter mooring site is in a location regularly used by anglers, boaters should leave at least 5 metres between their boat and the next one along to allow space for fishing. Boaters must be prepared to move temporarily to facilitate match pegging and where anglers are aware of when match pegging will take place, they will give you reasonable notice (usually 2 weeks).

So you pay £200 per month AND have to move for anglers as well?

George

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, sharpness said:

Did you notice 8.13. 

Diving, bathing and fishing at the Winter Mooring Permit Site is not permitted 

9 hours ago, Bewildered said:

Did you notice 8.13. 

Diving, bathing and fishing at the Winter Mooring Permit Site is not permitted 

55 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Bewildering 

You want bewildering?

You are not allowed a Winter Mooring if the boat is your primary residence.

"7.7.3 You must not use the Winter Mooring as your sole or main residence without our prior written consent"

That has to be a bit of a bummer for liveaboards.

You have to apply for a WM then you have to get C&RTs permission to use it.