Boating holidays in the school holidays : price-wise

Justin Smith

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

This is the best route to go.

Why?

Why?

Because there's no money in the school budget (look at the report in todays papers about a school in Teresa Mays constituency asking parents to contribute £1 per day (£190 per year}per child to pay for stationery.

Apo;ogies to OP for going off topic

Edited by Slim

• 3 months later...

We have booked for 2 trips this year during school holiday weeks.

By booking one 12 month's in advance we received a discount putting it at the same price as a non school holiday week.

The second trip is with the same company, so received a discount for booking 2 trips.  Again the price then matches the non-school holiday week

So a bit of planning helps.

In terms of peoples comments about booking holidays during term time. It's not just fines you have to factor in.

We would struggle to take the kids out of school, using limited annual leave, and then also be able to provide childcare during the holidays.  No one seems to have mentioned this.

Fines are relatively minor and so not a big issue when compared to the saving (our school doesn't fine though) but my above point is somewhat more restrictive.

Kids get ill and have to stay away from school, sometimes for several weeks. Nobody suggests their education is permanently destroyed as a result.  The school system can cope with some absence and could cope better with a bit of effort. Obviously excessive absence would be unacceptable and should be prohibited. The current rule about forbidding absence is typical of legislative systems that do not have any representation to question the formation of the rules. If you create a rule-making body that does not have vigorous customer representation then it will, over the years, introduce steadily more and more repressive rules, just because it can.  The current rule is bonkers. (but so is the education system as a whole.)

IMHO

• Happy 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 15:17, john6767 said:

Probably the only way of getting a good deal is you look to do a last minute booking, and hope everything is not sold out.  You can look on the individual hire companies web sites or on https://www.latelink.com/

We just booked a boat through "Latelink" as you helpfully suggested, £540 for a week (+ fuel) for "Oscar", a 4 berth 42ft cruiser from Gailey for the half term school holiday is pretty good. It isn`t the biggest boat in the world, or the newest, but £540 !

The heating will probably be diesel, unfortunate when we`ll probably have the heating on quite a bit ! 

I`m surprised more boatyards don`t deal through Latelink, after all, if they have boats unbooked (say) a week before they probably aren`t going to go out, better to be earning 60% of what they`d want than nothing at all. One would have thought so anyway.

34 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

I`m surprised more boatyards don`t deal through Latelink, after all, if they have boats unbooked (say) a week before they probably aren`t going to go out, better to be earning 60% of what they`d want than nothing at all. One would have thought so anyway.

Smaller companies, with a smaller range of quality boats tend to sell up very quickly. (and so don't need Latelink)

The company I use have completely sold out this year already (and have been since early Feb). 25% of next years dates have already been sold too.

Therefore it only tends to be the larger companies who use Latelink as they don't tend to sell out, and need another source of advertising.  imo

I used Latelink last August to book a holiday in August.  The companies I wanted to go with had long since sold out

Edited by kawaton

1 hour ago, Justin Smith said:

We just booked a boat through "Latelink" as you helpfully suggested, £540 for a week (+ fuel) for "Oscar", a 4 berth 42ft cruiser from Gailey for the half term school holiday is pretty good. It isn`t the biggest boat in the world, or the newest, but £540 !

The heating will probably be diesel, unfortunate when we`ll probably have the heating on quite a bit ! 

Ask how much a litre for the Diesel. If you can purchase cheaper elsewhere,  top up prior to return. Check what level of 'fullness' they are working to. If you're cruising don't have the heating on warming up the countryside.

glad you got a deal in the end. When are you going?

Edited by Nightwatch

34 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Ask how much a litre for the Diesel. If you can purchase cheaper elsewhere

This is good advice.

Some hire companies charge for fuel....as a one off charge.  If you use more, you don't get charged more.  If you use less, you don't get a refund.

Others (Like Anglowelsh) charge for fuel....they fill up on return and give a refund if you use less than the initial charge.  But charge more if you use more

(Although you have to go a fair distance.  We went from Gt Haywood, round the four counties, then to Fradley and back....and still got a refund)

If its the latter do take Nightwatch's advice.  From memory they charge around 90p a litre, so there is a saving to be had if filling up elsewhere.

It seems to me that it would be helpful if school holidays could be staggered to spread out demand for holidays, e.g. rather than all closing for the same six weeks in summer maybe half the schools in the country could close a bit earlier and the other half later? The biggest snag I can see with this is that exams have to be held simultaneously and in late June to fit in with university admissions, but there are probably ways to get around this. Maybe the primary schools could be the ones to close earlier? It's a radical idea but I think it could work.

16 minutes ago, Peter X said:

It seems to me that it would be helpful if school holidays could be staggered to spread out demand for holidays, e.g. rather than all closing for the same six weeks in summer maybe half the schools in the country could close a bit earlier and the other half later? The biggest snag I can see with this is that exams have to be held simultaneously and in late June to fit in with university admissions, but there are probably ways to get around this. Maybe the primary schools could be the ones to close earlier? It's a radical idea but I think it could work.

There are more and more academies popping up now.  (my kids go to an academy)

Their school holidays are slightly different to the national school holidays. (2 weeks in Feb, 1 week in April, 1 week in may, 4 weeks in the summer, 2 weeks in Oct, 1.5 weeks at xmas. 

This allows some cheaper deals when going abroad (Oct/Feb), but not as useful for boating

Edited by kawaton

On 11/15/2017 at 14:30, Machpoint005 said:

Sorry, Tim, but I have to flag up this particular bit of gutter press libel. You are many years out of date. I would never describe my daughter's job as 'cushy', but then perhaps she is unusually conscientious.

And less when they can't shift 'em - it works both ways.

I wasn't going to bite because anybody who truly believes teachers, hours are cushy is basing it on the mid 1950s or early 60s at the very best!

Most (probably all) teachers will work longer in a year than somebody on minimum legal holidays (5.6 weeks) and 40 hours per week.

However Mrsmelly does appear to want to be in the mid 50s with everything measurement, being out of Europe so I shouldn't be surprised he thinks it is the mid 50s.

1 hour ago, kawaton said:

Their school holidays are slightly different to the national school holidays. (2 weeks in Feb, 1 week in April, 1 week in may, 4 weeks in the summer, 2 weeks in Oct, 1.5 weeks at xmas. 

This allows some cheaper deals when going abroad (Oct/Feb), but not as useful for boating

Basically schools can set their own holiday periods Christmas/New Year and Easter weekend are probably the only time in the year you can guarantee all UK teachers are on holiday.  OK there is probably a week or two in the middle of what is traditionally the summer holiday time.

Local authority schools do tend to be more standardised than academies and free schools.

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, Peter X said:

But not so convenient for families with children in different schools.

• Greenie 2

21 hours ago, Jerra said:

I wasn't going to bite because anybody who truly believes teachers, hours are cushy is basing it on the mid 1950s or early 60s at the very best!

Most (probably all) teachers will work longer in a year than somebody on minimum legal holidays (5.6 weeks) and 40 hours per week.

However Mrsmelly does appear to want to be in the mid 50s with everything measurement, being out of Europe so I shouldn't be surprised he thinks it is the mid 50s.

This is quite correct.  Around ten years ago I looked into doing a PGCE with a view to teaching science at secondary school.  I was advised to spend some time in a school as a kind of work experience placement/classroom assistant thing.  I was truly shocked by how hard the teachers had to work, how many hours they worked - until late in the evening and weekends routinely.  Basically, they were all suffering symptoms of stress and had little in the way of a social life or outside interests, they simply didn't have time and were too tired.  I didn't become a teacher but I have utmost respect for those who have, it's hard and largely thankless work and to be on the receiving end of such derogatory and ill-informed comments must be absolutely gutting.

1 hour ago, Dave_P said:

This is quite correct.  Around ten years ago I looked into doing a PGCE with a view to teaching science at secondary school.  I was advised to spend some time in a school as a kind of work experience placement/classroom assistant thing.  I was truly shocked by how hard the teachers had to work, how many hours they worked - until late in the evening and weekends routinely.  Basically, they were all suffering symptoms of stress and had little in the way of a social life or outside interests, they simply didn't have time and were too tired.  I didn't become a teacher but I have utmost respect for those who have, it's hard and largely thankless work and to be on the receiving end of such derogatory and ill-informed comments must be absolutely gutting.

You will understand why there are so many ads on TV about £20+K tax free to train to teach.  The average working life (as a teacher) of a newly trained teacher is less than 5 years.

The government use education too much as a political football and are rapidly privatising it via the academy scheme.  About 10-15% of all money provided for education is siphoned off by the academy trusts.

My partner is a teacher. She arrives in school at 7am and rarely leaves before 5pm. Once home and fed she starts her evening work, planning and marking, usually until she goes to bed. As for the weekends and holidays, they are rarely work-free either. She also has to tolerate some very challenging children. Perhaps she is particularly dedicated, but teaching is certainly not a cushy job although she does find it rewarding.

On 26/03/2018 at 15:34, kawaton said:

Academies are just plain evil, for instance:

AET and Sandown Bay Academy

They are run as businesses on a factory model.

The raw material is the Year 7s entering the place and the product is exam results. The staff, both teaching and non teaching, are the production machinery.

They are all about exam results and bu99er all about turning out well rounded young people and fostering a love of learning.

• Sad 1

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:33, Nightwatch said:

Ask how much a litre for the Diesel. If you can purchase cheaper elsewhere,  top up prior to return. Check what level of 'fullness' they are working to. If you're cruising don't have the heating on warming up the countryside.

Mid April, I`m hoping it won`t be too cold, or wet......

On the subject of which, I often wonder why, when the engine is usually under the rear deck, all canal boats don`t have a grille over it (rather than a solid floor) so the heat rising from said engine can be used to help keep the helmsman warm. Obviously in the summer one should be able to put boarding over said grille.

Edited by Justin Smith

11 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

Mid April, I`m hoping it won`t be too cold, or wet......

On the subject of which, I often wonder why, when the engine is usually under the rear deck, all canal boats don`t have a grille over it (rather than a solid floor) so the heat rising from said engine can be used to help keep the helmsman warm. Obviously in the summer one should be able to put boarding over said grille.

A couple of the old Willow Wren hire fleet, which had air cooled Lister engines, had two air outlet grills. One was in the hull side but the other was positioned so that it blew warm air over the steerers feet. In cold weather it was bliss, and in hot weather the latter grill was simply blocked off.

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 17:29, Victor Vectis said:

Academies are just plain evil, for instance:

AET and Sandown Bay Academy

They are run as businesses on a factory model.

The raw material is the Year 7s entering the place and the product is exam results. The staff, both teaching and non teaching, are the production machinery.

They are all about exam results and bu99er all about turning out well rounded young people and fostering a love of learning.

It isn't just academies that do this - it is the whole education system that is geared towards exam results. There was a report on the web yesterday about a leading head teacher that says anyone wanting good results should spend 7 hours a day during the Easter break revising - pretty poor way to bring up kids who are supposed to be our best by putting them under that pressure.

3 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

A couple of the old Willow Wren hire fleet, which had air cooled Lister engines, had two air outlet grills. One was in the hull side but the other was positioned so that it blew warm air over the steerers feet. In cold weather it was bliss, and in hot weather the latter grill was simply blocked off.

A good idea.

Most engines are water cooled, but still give off significant heat. Actually, I remember one of the boats we hired once had a grille instead of a solid floor.

On 26/03/2018 at 16:44, Jerra said:

Basically schools can set their own holiday periods Christmas/New Year and Easter weekend are probably the only time in the year you can guarantee all UK teachers are on holiday.  OK there is probably a week or two in the middle of what is traditionally the summer holiday 

We Did the Cheshire ring last easter and one of the weeks the local kids were at school which meant it was nice and quiet for us.

We have hired from kate boats and Anderson boats during schools holidays and found both to be priced well. 

Anderson's was 1700 for two weeks for a full size boat.  

They both included insurance, waivers and fuel.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:33, Nightwatch said:

We were going to do this, there`s cheap diesel for sale at Wheaton Aston, but, after mooring up there to do so, discovered the fuel filler was padlocked shut......

I have to say I`ll be very interested to see what the hire company charge us for the diesel top up. The chap at Wheaton Aston said his zero tax diesel was 63p a litre and full tax £1.09. The hire company will surely be claiming some tax off as heating etc ? I`ll be quite upset if the hire company charge even 90p a litre, certainly £1.

51 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

I`ll be quite upset if the hire company charge even 90p a litre, certainly £1.

If you are with Anglowelsh prepare to be quite upset because the charge somewhere between 90p to £1 per litre

1 hour ago, Justin Smith said:

We were going to do this, there`s cheap diesel for sale at Wheaton Aston, but, after mooring up there to do so, discovered the fuel filler was padlocked shut......

I have to say I`ll be very interested to see what the hire company charge us for the diesel top up. The chap at Wheaton Aston said his zero tax diesel was 63p a litre and full tax £1.09. The hire company will surely be claiming some tax off as heating etc ? I`ll be quite upset if the hire company charge even 90p a litre, certainly £1.

I think that is quite normal that the fuel filler is locked.  Presumably if you have a very long hire where you will need to refuel then they give you the key.  From what I have seen with others, the hire company will probably do your fuel at 60/40 split.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

I suppose you checked all the keys you had onboard. If you didn't have a key, then the boat company is being a little sneaky to say the least.

It`s a number lock. I wonder what they would have said had I phoned up and asked for the combination......