Bilge Access on Liverpool Boat

Shangela

Featured Posts

Hello all,

I've currently got a leak in the front bulkhead area of my narrowboat. I think it's coming from a leaky water pump or calorifier and the plumber is coming to sort these this week. I'm bailing out about a bucket of water a day, so it's okay for now. However, I'm thinking I should check the bilge to see if any water has got down there and it indicates a bigger problem. The problem is, I can't see anywhere to access the bilge on my boat.  It's a 1988 Liverpool Narrowboat, 43ft. The survey mentioned there was engine room access to the bilge, but wondering if the cabin bilge is separate.  Is it a case of ripping up a floor board? Judging by the way the water tank hatch was painted shut, I think the previous owners may have put laminate over any access points.

Thanks in advance!

Shang

There may not be an inspection hatch at all depending on who did the fitout...or who has worked on the boat since. Any inspection hatch is likely to be as near to the engine bulkhead as it can be, probably inside a cupboard or step.

If there isn't one, you can make one quite easily, a multi tool is the easiest way. 

That sounds like a lot if water though.....have you got a bowthruster? ? Quite a common fail point in Liverpool hulls which may not have been maintained properly.

Agreed. The boat will almost certainly be ballasted to be higher at the bow, and the transverse steel work notched to make lumber holes, aka, all the water should run to the back of the boat.

Almost always the engine room bilge is separate, so as said, the access will be near or up against the rear bulkhead.

Daniel

I had an '88 LB a few years ago.  There wasn't any access to the cabin bilge, which was separate to the engine bilge, unlike on some boats of that vintage.

I made my own access inside a cupboard near the rear bulkhead.

I drilled a series of 4" holes in "hidden" places e.g under the Thetford toilet, under the Fridge etc and also inside of various lockers. Also have  a hatch under the rear step. All came in handy when my water tank decided to empty itself into the bilge.

Found it much easier to empty the cabin bilge with this setup rather than waiting for everything to drain below the hatch. Also had the extra advantage of allowing me to fine tune the ballast bricks

Our cabin bilge is located under the rear steps. This is the lowest point on our boat and where any water collects. We had a leaky water filler pipe when we first got the boat and it took a while to realise and rectify. Even when it was sorted it took months for all the water to drain to the back, it is dry now.

We’ve got a LBL and also, no access to the cabin bilge, but was easy enough to cut one (under rear step). We also had a leak some time ago (shower), after bailing out found that ‘nappies’ helped soak up the last dregs. However, it took a while to get to that point. Would bail it out, only to find more water again the next day (and the leak had been fixed by that point). I assume the issue was that the ballast had soaked up the water and it was this that was slowly draining. 

Thanks for all your replies.  There aren't any rear steps as I think they have been removed to build a bed at the back across the engine room access. Never thought to look under there, so will have an investigation tonight! Fear it may be a case of drilling a hole myself if not. Got the plumber coming today so hopefully he can identify if the water pump or calorifier is causing the front leak and not a bigger problem of a leaky water tank. Will check the bilge nonetheless. Cheers all!