Hard aground

Dav and Pen

Featured Posts

On 16/11/2017 at 13:16, magictime said:

It is absolutely gorgeous. We did it for the first time a few weeks back and it has probably pushed the L&L around Skipton into second place among my favourite stretches of canal. That photo doesn't begin to capture the beauty and sheer scale of the Pennine scenery.

Quite right The Huddersfield [shallow] Narrow runs through some of the best scenery anywhere.Unfortunately It frequently suffers from low water levels due to several factors.I recently wrote to the Colne Valley's M.P to ask if this could be raised with the CRT.The answer was; significant leaks from the canal walls and locks,and a finite amount of water in the canal feeder reservoirs.CRT say they are aware of the problem and are doing major work on the canal banks to try to address this.

Also what is generally not known,is that Huddersfield University takes water from the canal for it's air conditioning systems,and puts it back in the pound below where it takes it from which doesn't help.

Having lived and worked in the Colne Valley for over over forty years the Huddersfield Narrow is my local and favourite waterway despite the zillions of locks and low water.Every boater ought to experience the Standedge Tunnel at least once.

• Greenie 2

10 hours ago, Furness said:

Quite right The Huddersfield [shallow] Narrow runs through some of the best scenery anywhere.Unfortunately It frequently suffers from low water levels due to several factors.I recently wrote to the Colne Valley's M.P to ask if this could be raised with the CRT.The answer was; significant leaks from the canal walls and locks,and a finite amount of water in the canal feeder reservoirs.CRT say they are aware of the problem and are doing major work on the canal banks to try to address this.

Also what is generally not known,is that Huddersfield University takes water from the canal for it's air conditioning systems,and puts it back in the pound below where it takes it from which doesn't help.

Having lived and worked in the Colne Valley for over over forty years the Huddersfield Narrow is my local and favourite waterway despite the zillions of locks and low water.Every boater ought to experience the Standedge Tunnel at least once.

^^^^^^^^^^^  This.   And no, the novelty doesn't wear off - there's always some new obstacle to overcome! 

On 14/11/2017 at 16:47, Dav and Pen said:

Hope it’s comes up.B0EA43B9-DA7E-4E23-86A0-959CCD589898.jpeg.de7607de8c8efa63927e9643bfdce1ef.jpeg

When I took the Inland Waterways Helmsman's course & CEVNI the RYA instructor to us to try rocking the boat from side to side if it was aground. You could try that I suppose...

Seriously though, there were only 2 of us on the course, me with a 57 x 12ft widebeam and another chap with a 38m barge. When the instructor told us to try this technique to get the boat unstuck we just looked at each other with some bewildered amusement.

Edited by blackrose