The true license evaders

GoodGurl

Featured Posts

What am I then? At present I have 2 moorings one on the Oxford and one in the marina I am parked in at present. I will still have the oxford one in march when we sod off cruising again but will not be using it as I will be ccing.......................Do I need a licence or a rebate :)

1 hour ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

Five successful prosecutions over the last 12 months according to C&RT's website

Given that a successful Magistrates Court prosecution under the General Canal Byelaws could serve as a prelude to C&RT recovering, through the County Courts and at zero cost, all outstanding licence fees from the owner of every unlicensed boat recorded as being on their waters, one has to hope that the opportunity to recover such a sizeable sum was not passed up.

Edited by TheDuker
  • Happy 1

47 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I am not following your thought train - Are you suggesting that 545 is 50% of 2, or that 2 is 50% of 545 ?

I'll leave you to your alternative world of mathematics.

you know exactly what i mean but let me explain in simple terms if you dont understand, if there were ONLY 2 home moorers and ONE didnt pay then that would be 50% of evaders, the simple fact is there are 545 on 'Home Moorings'  (65.8%) and 232 'Continuous Cruisers'  (28%) i'm sorry that you are a home moorer and have to bare this cross.

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

What am I then? At present I have 2 moorings one on the Oxford and one in the marina I am parked in at present. I will still have the oxford one in march when we sod off cruising again but will not be using it as I will be ccing.......................Do I need a licence or a rebate :)

would that make you a Continuous Moorer :giggles::giggles:

• Happy 1

11 minutes ago, GoodGurl said:

you know exactly what i mean but let me explain in simple terms if you dont understand, if there were ONLY 2 home moorers and ONE didnt pay then that would be 50% of evaders, the simple fact is there are 545 on 'Home Moorings'  (65.8%) and 232 'Continuous Cruisers'  (28%) i'm sorry that you are a home moorer and have to bare this cross.

Perhaps Alan knows exactly what you mean but I am struggling :-) Taking your example, if there are two home moorers and one doesn't pay then I agree that that is 50 %  but if there are 8290 home moorers and 545 of them don't pay, that surely can't be 50 % too ?  What am I missing ?

haggis

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are, in reality only two classifications of boaters, those with, and those without a home mooring.

There are some 31,000 boats licenced with C&RT, of which approx. 3,500 have no home mooring, and, 27,500 have a home mooring.

Your figures show that there were 232 licence evaders amongst the population of ‘no home moorers’, and 545 licence evaders amongst the population of 'home moorers'.

This shows that indeed the ‘non-home moorers’ have a licence evasion rate of 15.6% whilst the ‘home-moorers’ have an evasion rate of 1.98%.

Say again - who are the ‘baddies’ ?

Exactly! and of those home moorers / marina dwellers there are far more than that in places like shardlow marina where licencing isnt necessary and there are many boats that never actually move.

Every online marina i have been at has been fastidious in ensuring every boat is fully licenced/insured and held a current BSS just a shame it isnt so easy to police the CMers that seem to get away with flaunting the system.

Rick

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, GoodGurl said:

the fact is there are more evaders on  home moorings than CCrs despite you nit picking the percentages, of course the CCrs percentage will be higher because there are fewer of them.

It isn't nit picking. The premise of your argument is mathematically flawed. A sample of 3,500 (the number of boats without a home mooring) is way more than is sufficient not to be skewed by the size. The comparison of percentages is entirely valid.

And why say "everybody kicks off about CCrs not being licensed". Most people don't. However now this thread has highlighted a high rate of evasion perhaps more folk will.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Boats in private arms, marinas, etc. don't require a licence unless they actually plan to leave and use Crt waterways. When our boat was rebottomed it was laid up in a private arm for nearly a year, unlicensed, and quite legitimate. 

2 hours ago, GoodGurl said:

yes i do pay my way and yes you are correct i do CC and abide by all the rules........

Go on, I'll bite,  exactly how long were you moored outside Mercia marina mid October to start of November. ...???;)

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

.....and you still get more overstay notices than me:D

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Go on, I'll bite,  exactly how long were you moored outside Mercia marina mid October to start of November. ...???;)

.....and you still get more overstay notices than me:D

i have only ever had one overstay notice and that was in error which steve cropper removed from my notes, anything else you would like to know? please get your facts right before throwing stones eh

image.png

Edited by GoodGurl
  • Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, GoodGurl said:

i have only ever had one overstay notice and that was in error which steve cropper removed from my notes, anything else you would like to know? please get your facts right before throwing stones eh

image.png

Is that a copy of sightings of your boar GoodGurl? just wondered? Is that how they collate it and can you ask to see it? just wonderin like.

26 minutes ago, GoodGurl said:

image.png

Touchy, threw no stones.... the overstay comment was aimed at Mrsmelly. 

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Is that a copy of sightings of your boar GoodGurl? just wondered? Is that how they collate it and can you ask to see it? just wonderin like.

Yes it is, and yep you can ask for it. But don't mention on here that you have because you'll be acussed of wasting crt money. 

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

no thats my logs done in WPS  this is the CRT log image.png.bce85d6359ececa9f835bae7da1c4bb8.png

you can ask for your sightings from - Information.Request@canalrivertrust.org.uk

6 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yes it is, and yep you can ask for it. But don't mention on here that you have because you'll be acussed of wasting crt money. 

Thanks. It was a genuine question but I will not need to do any asking as the boss has kept a cruising diary since 1989. Its fun to look up some of the early days to remember when we actualy where were we were if you know what I mean :unsure: On a personal basis when working we have always got a mooring and when we cc we cc. Next year we will leave the T and m to Bristol and up to York and the maccy so just about complying with the ahemm " 20 " miles ccing " recommendation " :o

4 minutes ago, GoodGurl said:

no thats my logs done in WPS  this is the CRT log image.png.bce85d6359ececa9f835bae7da1c4bb8.png

you can ask for your sightings from - Information.Request@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Thanks was wonderin as its been mentioned on ere b4 I suppose that's why if someone moves one way and then back the other they can look as though they havnt actualy moved?

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Actually, I think it's the original premise that's wrong - most of us, CCers or home moorers, pay our licences and don't really worry too much about those who don't.  I've never heard anyone, in thirty years of boating, kick off about unlicensed boaters though I have heard loads of moaning about dredging, lousy mooring practices, bust facilities, broken locks and thoughtless driving.  It's one of those nonsense subjects that raises the hackles of about three people who make a lot of noise. The rest of us just quietly get on pottering about.

Well said.

I get annoyed with bloggers/posters etc who moan about 'obviously unlicensed' boats, usually tossing in words like 'scruffy' as well.

I hope 'Red Wharf' doesn't look scruffy but we have small portholes. I don't like blocking one up with the license disc (square?) so it goes at the front on the cratch board glass. Easy to miss when passing to nebby buggers with nowt better to do, so according to some we are 'unlicenced'.

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thanks. It was a genuine question but I will not need to do any asking as the boss has kept a cruising diary since 1989. Its fun to look up some of the early days to remember when we actualy where were we were if you know what I mean :unsure: On a personal basis when working we have always got a mooring and when we cc we cc. Next year we will leave the T and m to Bristol and up to York and the maccy so just about complying with the ahemm " 20 " miles ccing " recommendation " :o

Thanks was wonderin as its been mentioned on ere b4 I suppose that's why if someone moves one way and then back the other they can look as though they havnt actualy moved?

Yea, I know it was a genuine question.  

I keep a log too but it dont go back to '89! impressive, but in '89 I was just finishing school.

(Art school that is:))

6 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yea, I know it was a genuine question.  

I keep a log too but it dont go back to '89! impressive, but in '89 I was just finishing school.

(Art school that is:))

Yeah its like experience, it only comes with age ...............so er...................:(

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I did get one of these in March 2011 above Stonebridge lock in the Lee Navigation, sent them my weeks pictures of the cruise up to Hertford and Bishops Stortford in between the sightings:)

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I did get one of these in March 2011 above Stonebridge lock in the Lee Navigation, sent them my weeks pictures of the cruise up to Hertford and Bishops Stortford in between the sightings:)

Sock it to em Dude :D

24 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Well said.

I get annoyed with bloggers/posters etc who moan about 'obviously unlicensed' boats, usually tossing in words like 'scruffy' as well.

I hope 'Red Wharf' doesn't look scruffy but we have small portholes. I don't like blocking one up with the license disc (square?) so it goes at the front on the cratch board glass. Easy to miss when passing to nebby buggers with nowt better to do, so according to some we are 'unlicenced'.

Then you are clearly in breach of CaRT  licencing rules & conditions 7.1.      https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/5962.pdf