The true license evaders

GoodGurl

Featured Posts

So everybody kicks off about CCrs not being licensed when in truth its marina boats that are the biggest culprits.

https://www.thefloater.org/the-floater-november-2017/who-are-the-licence-dodgers

Also see Alan's FOI to CRT here - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/boat_license_evasion_by_type#incoming-1067470

and the attachment figures here -  https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/440869/response/1067470/attach/html/3/Unlicensed Boats March 2017.xlsx.html

C&RT came back with a breakdown of 828 unlicensed boats:

545 on 'Home Moorings'  (65.8%)
232 'Continuous Cruisers'  (28%)
31  'unknown'  (3.7%)
13 'Other Nav. Authorities'  (1.6%)
7  'out of water'  (0.8%) (Probably trailboats)

Edited by GoodGurl
to add the figures

25 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well its not surprising when you a consider how many CC there are to how many there are in Marinas,

theres still more than CCrs evading

Edited by GoodGurl

So from your figures 6.6% of CC   and 5.1% of marina dwellers are unlicenced.

Seems as usual marina dwellers are the good guys.

15 minutes ago, GoodGurl said:

There are around 3,500 CCrs and 8,290 marina license evaders so you do the sums.

Did you mean evaders? That's 1/3 of the total number of boats on the canal. Also figures have changed.... To help your case?

Still makes it 6.5% so still less

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Loddon said:

So from your figures 6.6% of CC   and 5.1% of marina dwellers are unlicenced.

Seems as usual marina dwellers are the good guys.

Did you mean evaders? That's 1/3 of the total number of boats on the canal. Also figures have changed.... To help your case?

i worked it out wrong lol oops

Where does marina dwellers come from, that just splits with and without a home mooring anyway.  Don't something like 80% of boats have a home mooring?  So that would make the percentage of boats that are unlicensed with a home mooring much lowwr than that of those with no home mooring.  Also remember some marinas don't actually require the boats to be licences, like those out of the water.

49 minutes ago, GoodGurl said:

So everybody kicks off about CCrs not being licensed when in truth its marina boats that are the biggest culprits.

https://www.thefloater.org/the-floater-november-2017/who-are-the-licence-dodgers

Also see Alan's FOI to CRT here - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/boat_license_evasion_by_type#incoming-1067470

and the attachment figures here -  https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/440869/response/1067470/attach/html/3/Unlicensed Boats March 2017.xlsx.html

31  'unknown'  (3.7%)

Where does it mention marina based boats? Boats with a home mooring includes those in marinas & online. The majority of marinas insist on their moorers having a licence as part of the conditions so I think there would not be many without a licence.

I cannot, in all honesty, see what difference all the gobble de gook figures make. Bottom line is that there are a significant number of people on the canals scamming the system at the expense at the expense of those that don't.

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, GoodGurl said:

There are, in reality only two classifications of boaters, those with, and those without a home mooring.

There are some 31,000 boats licenced with C&RT, of which approx. 3,500 have no home mooring, and, 27,500 have a home mooring.

Your figures show that there were 232 licence evaders amongst the population of ‘no home moorers’, and 545 licence evaders amongst the population of 'home moorers'.

This shows that indeed the ‘non-home moorers’ have a licence evasion rate of 15.6% whilst the ‘home-moorers’ have an evasion rate of 1.98%.

Say again - who are the ‘baddies’ ?

• Greenie 4

Just an observation as a non live aboard narrow boater with a home mooring in a marina, during the last 8 months we have seen (and spoken to ) a CR&T employee twice walking the planks in our home marina checking for licence evasion. But in 4 moths cruising have never seen anyone checking boats out on the cut. We have observed a number of boats in the middle of nowhere with a huge amount of  associated materials from ferret hutches , motorcycles , spare timber etc etc that has not appeared to have moved for some time (forget in the last 14 days) and would take a few hours to reload onto the boat/s. My point being that some boaters know where to moor to avoid licences or over stay. A difficult one to police in places.

1 hour ago, GoodGurl said:

31  'unknown'  (3.7%)

Are any figures available relating to successful prosecutions of the owners of the 808 'unlicensed' boats that were actually on C&RT waters ?

I am moored on non CRT water, I don't have to have a licence but I do - so I can go on CRT waters when I like. I pay to be moored on that water. It's private, there are only 8 boats. But to be honest I wouldn't say if I didn't have a licence I was evading it. I don't legally need it?

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are, in reality only two classifications of boaters, those with, and those without a home mooring.

There are some 31,000 boats licenced with C&RT, of which approx. 3,500 have no home mooring, and, 27,500 have a home mooring.

Your figures show that there were 232 licence evaders amongst the population of ‘no home moorers’, and 545 licence evaders amongst the population of 'home moorers'.

This shows that indeed the ‘non-home moorers’ have a licence evasion rate of 15.6% whilst the ‘home-moorers’ have an evasion rate of 1.98%.

Say again - who are the ‘baddies’ ?

the fact is there are more evaders on  home moorings than CCrs despite you nit picking the percentages, of course the CCrs percentage will be higher because there are fewer of them.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, GoodGurl said:

the fact is there are more evaders on  home moorings than CCrs despite you nit picking the percentages, of course the CCrs percentage will be higher because there are fewer of them.

Whatever!!!!

Unfortunately there is a higher percentage of the population of CCers who are dishonest, than there is amongst those who pay for a mooring.

From your excitement when you thought that HMers were 'the main culprits' you must CCer, but I am sure you are one of those 'that pay their way', after all, you are a 'GOODGURL'

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Whatever!!!!

Unfortunately there is a higher percentage of the population of CCers who are dishonest, than there is amongst those who pay for a mooring.

From your excitement when you thought that HMers were 'the main culprits' you must CCer, but I am sure you are one of those 'that pay their way', after all, you are a 'GOODGURL'

yes i do pay my way and yes you are correct i do CC and abide by all the rules, but as i said you are nit picking the percentages, if there were only 2 home moorers that would be 50% so jog on with your nit picking.

2 minutes ago, GoodGurl said:

yes i do pay my way and yes you are correct i do CC and abide by all the rules, but as i said you are nit picking the percentages, if there were only 2 home moorers that would be 50% so jog on with your nit picking.

I am not following your thought train - Are you suggesting that 545 is 50% of 2, or that 2 is 50% of 545 ?

I'll leave you to your alternative world of mathematics.

I wonder if these are meaningful statistics as I thought according to CRT everybody was a CC’er the moment they left the marina.......... These figures show license evasion C2.5% yet at the annual boat check earlier this year it was 3.7% a record low. Possibly the 400 difference is boats that were a few days late renewing I guess.