Cello 12v TV

rowland al

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Jennie1896 said:

Avtex are a little more expensive than their Cello counterparts but you get what you pay for. We have always had Avtex and I can't rate them highly enough. We recently took the plunge and upgraded to a new 199DRS and soundbar and we can't fault it.

If it helps, we purchased from here https://www.capitaloutdoors.co.uk

A 12v soundbar with HDMI is interesting. I use a Bose Soundlink Mini II, but it’s irritating to have to keep charging it up, and if I leave it connected to the power source, it buzzes... 

• 1 month later...

We have the Cello with Freesat etc. The sound is no problem because we have a Bose Solo 5 which has taken over as the Bluetooth speaker in the main cabin for Music, Radio and the TV (not all at the same time, I hasten to add!). I think we've come to expect increasingly good sound quality so don't like settling.....

One thing I can't sort is the channel numbering. Freeview is fine but when we use the little sat dish and scan, we get all the channels but they don't 'lock in' to 1 BBC1, 2 BBC2, 3ITV etc. Anyone know the solution to this (apart from lengthy manual editing). The old boat TV with a separate freesat box was fine.

1 hour ago, Jo_ said:

We have the Cello with Freesat etc. The sound is no problem because we have a Bose Solo 5 which has taken over as the Bluetooth speaker in the main cabin for Music, Radio and the TV (not all at the same time, I hasten to add!). I think we've come to expect increasingly good sound quality so don't like settling.....

One thing I can't sort is the channel numbering. Freeview is fine but when we use the little sat dish and scan, we get all the channels but they don't 'lock in' to 1 BBC1, 2 BBC2, 3ITV etc. Anyone know the solution to this (apart from lengthy manual editing). The old boat TV with a separate freesat box was fine.

How do you power the Bose Solo 5? I’ve got one at home and dont really like using inverters, otherwise it would be on board.

2 hours ago, Jo_ said:

Do you have options to sort the stored programmes by several different parameters?

If so experiment, try sort by Programme ID.

• 2 months later...

I've had a cello tv running on 12v for about two years. It has suddenly started flickering and picture and sound go off completely intermittently. Have I killed it with high charge voltage when engine is running? I am not using a regulator, stabiliser or whatever the gadget is called that is supposed to keep it at 12v.

13 minutes ago, Lizzy said:

I've had a cello tv running on 12v for about two years. It has suddenly started flickering and picture and sound go off completely intermittently. Have I killed it with high charge voltage when engine is running? I am not using a regulator, stabiliser or whatever the gadget is called that is supposed to keep it at 12v.

Possibly, but if that were the case why has it taken two years to show up?

I'd start by looking for blown capacitors in the power supply.

6 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

... which have probably suffered from the over-voltage when charging the batteries. 

Edited by WotEver

11 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

I changed a crapacitor in one of my 12v telliies once. Bought it another year before packing up altogether. 

Easy to spot, with an bulging end-can. 

Edited by rusty69
Bulging is much better

14 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Easy to spot, with an bulging end-can. 

I can't be specific as I haven't taken your telly apart but the most common failure in switch mode power supplies is the electrolytic capacitors. 

Usually either blue or black components which ought to be be cylindrical with a flat end. If they've failed the end will be bulging as described by rusty

1 minute ago, George and Dragon said:

If they've failed the end will be bulging as described by rusty

Could they also be crusty, as described by Rusty (leaking electrolyte). 

If you do take the back off the telly, probably best to leave it for a bit after unplugging. 

When offering advice, i would always err on the side of caution. Poking around in a recently disconnected tv (even if it is 12v) with still partially charged capacitors may cause damage to other components. 

It may not of course, but why risk it? 

If you want to go lick your tv though feel free. 

Edited by rusty69

8 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Whatever wotnot

I had hoped to learn something - I think I have buts it’s not about 12v tellies ?

ill leave you and rustynuts to

talk bollox to each other

you never know someone might be impressed 

If you’re referring to Rusty’s comment about leaving the electrolytics to discharge prior to meddling then he was quite right. If you think that it’s only to prevent a shock then you’re quite wrong and you do indeed need to learn something. 

• Haha 1