Barnton Tunnel cutting

dmr

Featured Posts

Spending some of the winter on the wonderful Weaver and down at Saltersford lock tonight. Just walked the dog up to the T&M and over the top of Barnton Tunnel. The Eastern half of the walk shows an obvious deep cutting right over the tunnels route, and the air shaft looks like it might have been rebuilt. Looking at Google Earth suggests the cutting is not that old, most likely not from the original build. What is this about? I believe the tunnel was relined in the 90's, was it a "cut and shut" job or was a lot of earth removed to reduce roof loading?

.................Dave

• 1 year later...

Reactivating this old thread, because we have just done the same walk over Barnton tunnel, and were also completely puzzled by the fact that there is a cutting above the tunnel for much of its length.

Trying to Google for why this might be brought me to Dave's post, which seemed to go unanswered.

Someone must know the history of this, surely?

EDIT:

Actually a bit of Googling has just found this document which says......

The  line of the canal can be easily traced by the long depression. It is unclear why this was formed, but it is thought that structural settlement of the tunnel below required the canal engineers to dig away the overburden until the tunnel structure became stable.

Edited by alan_fincher

44 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Reactivating this old thread, because we have just done the same walk over Barnton tunnel, and were also completely puzzled by the fact that there is a cutting above the tunnel for much of its length.

Trying to Google for why this might be brought me to Dave's post, which seemed to go unanswered.

Someone must know the history of this, surely?

EDIT:

Actually a bit of Googling has just found this document which says......

Cut and fill but only as much as needed. I think it was half bored and half cut/fill looking at it. no evidence of that