SR2 with LH150 combined weight

BODs SR2

Featured Posts

I've never seen flexible rubber mounts on these marine engines, but they are-were available, part no 366-00111. I have seen them on an SR2 generator engine and as far as I can remember they looked quite squat and looked very hard rubber, I doubt if they made much difference to any vibration.  I doubt if the more modern adjustable rubber mountings would stand the pounding  of an SR for very long.  Ford Granada propshaft doughnuts make excellent flexible couplings and much cheaper than fancy marine ones.

• Greenie 1

I had a Lister SR2 which was fine, but suddenly started vibrating and producing knocking noises. My heart sank until someone advised me to check the bolts holding the engine to the I beams through the hardwood mounts. One bolt had slackened off and two others took a bit of tightening.

Once done the vibration virtually disappeared and no more knocking noises. Don't use nylock nuts - the heat of the engine softens the nylon and the bolts undo DAMHIK! Use twin nuts tightened on each other instead.

In the bilge were the broken off tops of two previous bolts - evidently previous owners had had the same problem and had over tightened the bolts.

9 minutes ago, manxmike said:

I had a Lister SR2 which was fine, but suddenly started vibrating and producing knocking noises. My heart sank until someone advised me to check the bolts holding the engine to the I beams through the hardwood mounts. One bolt had slackened off and two others took a bit of tightening.

Once done the vibration virtually disappeared and no more knocking noises. Don't use nylock nuts - the heat of the engine softens the nylon and the bolts undo DAMHIK! Use twin nuts tightened on each other instead.

In the bilge were the broken off tops of two previous bolts - evidently previous owners had had the same problem and had over tightened the bolts.

If this is the cause remember to check the shaft alignment after tightening the bolts. In fact I suspect slight misalignment cause the above problems.

6 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

In fact I suspect slight misalignment cause the above problems.

Very probably, however no longer my problem. After selling the boat for a whacking great loss because of the erosion of the hull thickness (down to 2mm in places) it's something the new owner may want to address.

Good luck to them, it's a cracking boat which they've got for a song.

Just wish I hadn't left quite so much on board (folding bike, cutlery, plates etc etc)

Edited by manxmike

My few thoughts are that you have a perfectly ok engine that has had a lot of work done, it fits the boat, all the wiring, exhaust, shaft, linkages and the rest  fit (and presumably the prop is the right size too) and it can be a horrible job to fit another engine. Have you tried disconnecting the shaft?  it might run smoothly by itself meaning that the problem is not the actual engine. In my (limited) knowledge of these engines I have not really noticed vibration as such, they are thumpers really not buzzy things. I would check all the bolts that hold everything together, mounting bolts, the bolts that hold the feet on to the engine itself, everything really that could be a bit loose. I would also try putting a pad of rubber under the feet, just to see what happens. I'm a great believer in Python/Aquadrive for everything that whizzes round but they are a bit dear. Good luck.

2 minutes ago, Bee said:

My few thoughts are that you have a perfectly ok engine that has had a lot of work done, it fits the boat, all the wiring, exhaust, shaft, linkages and the rest  fit (and presumably the prop is the right size too) and it can be a horrible job to fit another engine. Have you tried disconnecting the shaft?  it might run smoothly by itself meaning that the problem is not the actual engine. In my (limited) knowledge of these engines I have not really noticed vibration as such, they are thumpers really not buzzy things. I would check all the bolts that hold everything together, mounting bolts, the bolts that hold the feet on to the engine itself, everything really that could be a bit loose. I would also try putting a pad of rubber under the feet, just to see what happens. I'm a great believer in Python/Aquadrive for everything that whizzes round but they are a bit dear. Good luck.

They do thump quite a bit if one cylinder starts to work more than the other causing vibration. This is why I suggested checking the pumps

I doubt there is enough length between the gearbox and stern gland to fit a Python or Aquadrive. I often have to dismantle the gearbox to get it on this kind of boats because there isn't enough length to withdraw the input shaft

Likewise, you can't just shove rubber under the feet, you'll put the propshaft out of alignment

Richard