Victron VE configure

Johny London

Featured Posts

I wanted to start looking at the settings on my Victron 3000 phoenix multiplus. (get that equalisation charge a bit higher!) I didn't think it had VE capability because it doesn't specifically mention it on the case, but after investigating, I now believe that it does. Which is handy, as trying to set anything with the dil switch on the pcb is a cryptic process indeed.

So, I have 2xethernet sockets on my pcb. It appears that one has to connect a cable from that, to a special black adapter called an MK2b, then on to the pc serial com(?). Or looking on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victron-VE-Direct-to-USB-Interface/272760914869?epid=6005290134&hash=item3f81d143b5:g:wQQAAOSwLdBaBBYH there seems to be a different thing that goes direct to usb but the other end doesn't look like an ethernet connection.

TOTALLY confused, so if someone could kindly put me straight I'd be grateful. My first thought is that an ethernet to ethernet cable would make sens - but I remember when connecting pc's that way you need to get one with crossed over wires (I do have one somewhere).

The serial number on the chip on the pcb is 1809149.HEX which doesn't quite correspond to anything on the Victron document I found online

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-A-Guide-to-VEConfigure-EN.pdf

Of course, the next hurdle is that I normally use Ubuntu :)

DSC04398.JPG

Edited by Johny London

Well, I don't know JL, but as the new owner of a Victron inverter (fitting it next week) I'd certainly be interested to see what info comes up. I am rather inclined to hope, if perhaps not expect, that the Mk3 ve.connect unit is an updated design to add the USB connectivity to the functionality of the Mk2b. Of course, the next thing to look at would be the Bluetooth dongle they do which I believe is supposed to allow you to carry out the required settings using their app. I bought their BlueSmart battery charger with adjustment of settings over Bluetooth functionality built in,  but as it's also still in its box I can't tell you how good it is. If you download the app, you can see demo screens of the information you can see on your phone or tablet and I'm certainly tempted to add such a dongle to my battery monitor based on that, and I'd have thought it might also be quite a boon on your Combi.

I'm just moving from a Mastervolt Combi to Victron sepatates and one bit of advice I got from a supplier was that, whilst Victron kit is good, their manuals are poor. Nothing I've seen contradicts that!