Mikuni MK40 issue

Anna_Licorice

Featured Posts

Hi all,

The Mukuni has recently stopped working - the display panel went off suddenly and the on/off switch no longer lights up. A few weeks later and I've finally got round to doing some troubleshooting. The light is flashing 5 times which the manual says means that the air motor needs to be replaced at a great cost. Changing the 7.5v fuse made no difference.

I read some posts on here about cleaning the whole unit before spending any money and was looking for some advice before attacking it with my screwdriver. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty but it's unlike any DIY task I've tackled before.

Also, has anyone else replaced the air motor - is this a simple enough task?

Many thanks in advance!

8 hours ago, steve hayes said:

I agree with David, they can end up costing a fortune, parts are costly.

But be careful, in my experience the flash codes can be misleading, can you hear or feel the air pump running?

Yes I saw the cost of a new air pump. Which is why I don’t really want to rush into anything for something we don’t use that often. 

Its not doing anything. Just suddenly one day the thermostat display panel went off. Yesterday I checked the wiring and looks like there are no issues with power to the device. The only thing I didn’t change was a 30 fuse that was connected inline near the battery end of the red cable because I didn’t have any spares. I’ll order a new fuse and try that anyway before doing anything else I guess. 

3 hours ago, Anna_Licorice said:

I’ll order a new fuse and try that anyway before doing anything else I guess. 

Don’t you have a multimeter? Don’t waste time and money on a fuse if it’s ok (although it would be good to have a spare of course). 

If you are getting flash codes you have voltage so it will not be the fuse per se, however with all things DC never confuse voltage with power and don't rely on a multimeter unless you are using it with a load applied, it is not unusual that a meter will show (say)12.8v but as soon as any load is applied this will reduce significantly or drop to zero due to resistance, a fuse holder is often the culprit. 

2 minutes ago, NMEA said:

If you are getting flash codes you have voltage so it will not be the fuse per se, however with all things DC never confuse voltage with power and don't rely on a multimeter unless you are using it with a load applied, it is not unusual that a meter will show (say)12.8v but as soon as any load is applied this will reduce significantly or drop to zero due to resistance, a fuse holder is often the culprit. 

Very true, try removing and replacing the fuses, disconnect and reconnect the main plug that the Mikuni connects to the boat wiring this will clean the contacts 

You might like to read this old thread on another board http://www.justcanals.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9799 

Basically, if the air motor is playing up it is unlikely to be economic to repair.  Consider replacement with a Webasto thermo top C or something similar.

As said above, Ed Shiers is a very helpful, and knowledgeable expert in these matters.