Break-ins on Shroppie near Brewood

Ratkatcher

Featured Posts

I had a call yesterday from one of the nice folk who has a mooring in the same CRT moorings as our boat to tell me that most of the boats moored had been broken into on (probably) Wednesday - including ours.

The door had been forced, damaging the Chubb lock and minor damage to the hatch cover.

Four other boats (as far as I know) had doors / padlock shackles damaged in the break-ins.

Strangest yet was that nothing had been taken from the boats as far as I can determine!

Was it just a mindless act of vandalism or a foiled theft attempt?

Very fortunate in my opinion, we had vacated the boat in a rush when we arrived at the moorings, needing to get one of the dogs to a vet before closing time, and left some 'sellable' equipment on the boat with the intention of coming back a few days later to collect them.  Having a dog seriously ill just from an insect bite stopped that idea from happening.

The boat has now been cleared of 'valuables' and in the very near future I'll be going back to prepare her for Winter  - as well as enjoy a few days cruising before everything freezes over :captain:

Just a 'watch out' for anyone else in the near vicinity.

Always awful news.

I've experienced this 8 times over nearly 40 years.

The worst is when it all points to another boater being the culprit.

Is it possible to enter your moorings from the land if you don't have the keys?

I've just realised I sound as if I'm planning to pay you a visit.  Of course what I'm questioning is does your landside security need beefing up or are you warning others of waterborne scrotes?

Edited by zenataomm
I posted early because the police were following me.

Probably looking for alcohol or some other specific item. I think there have been previous reports of boat crime in this area on this forum, with some debate about a boater as the suspect but without real evidence.

There was a string of "nothing taken" break ins on the K&A a while ago, suspected to be down to a local land owner who wanted to scare the boaters away as the moorings limited his property development ambitions. Are your moorings unpopular with any locals?????

...........Dave

A couple of years ago my boat, and some others on the mooring, were broken into, almost certainly by a boater.  The only thing taken was some pound coins, but every cupboard and drawer had been checked (my wife noticed little things that showed all the clothes had been looked through - wives are good like that).

However a couple of weeks later it was broken into again, this time all the wine and much of the winter clothing, fleeces, gloves and the like were taken.  I suspect the first break-in was a recce.  We leave a lot less on the boat now.

As I have said before on here ........... I leave nothing of value, and my boat unlocked. 

However I am on supposedly a secure basin moorings so don't need to worry about the boat going or squatters.

If they get past the wire fence and 3ft thick razor wire (and they do!) then they want valuable portable items.  Which regardless of numerous intrusions they still find on other's boats which is why they'll keep coming back of course.

7 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Is it possible to enter your moorings from the land if you don't have the keys?

The mooriings are through a farm gate secured with a BW Padlock (which seem to proliferate among non-boaters too as they can be bought on fleabay) which is easily climbable.  Or even through the farmers field behind.

6 hours ago, dmr said:

Probably looking for alcohol or some other specific item.

No - the bottle of JD was still ok, now at home with me..

It was just a bit of a heads up for others in the area, just in case.  At least if they come back the best they will get away with is a couple of packs of instant porridge and a bag of pasta...

2 hours ago, Ratkatcher said:

The mooriings are through a farm gate secured with a BW Padlock (which seem to proliferate among non-boaters too as they can be bought on fleabay) which is easily climbable.  Or even through the farmers field behind.

No - the bottle of JD was still ok, now at home with me..

Lager drinkers I expect, don't know what to do with JD.

...........Dave

We leave nothing on the boat its a massive pain in the ass trying to carry all the stuff back and forth but as most things are very hard to come by its worth it. But even the beds are stripped every time we need them.

+ some items wont fit modern boats. On the other hand its all engraved.