Can't cruise as they've closed a lock!

Boisdevie

Featured Posts

Set off from Appleby Bridge this morning towards the Rufford branch of the Leeds Liverpool only to find the lock is closed for 5 weeks for repair. So I can't continuously cruise in the direction I wanted and going the other way is the wrong way and will cost me time and money. I'm hoping to stay put until the lock reopens. I've emailed the C&RT for advice. Wonder if they'll hassle me to continue moving?

3 minutes ago, Boisdevie said:

Set off from Appleby Bridge this morning towards the Rufford branch of the Leeds Liverpool only to find the lock is closed for 5 weeks for repair. So I can't continuously cruise in the direction I wanted and going the other way is the wrong way and will cost me time and money. I'm hoping to stay put until the lock reopens. I've emailed the C&RT for advice. Wonder if they'll hassle me to continue moving?

So why didn't you check for stoppages before you set off ?    Or did you know about the stoppage and want to stay for 5 weeks by challenging CaRT to let you stay ?

1 minute ago, Flyboy said:

So why didn't you check for stoppages before you set off ?    Or did you know about the stoppage and want to stay for 5 weeks by challenging CaRT to let you stay ?

I stupidly assumed the canal would be open. I had no idea the lock was shut and actually motored there only to have to turn around and come back to Appleby Bridge.

8 minutes ago, Boisdevie said:

If you had set off on Sunday there wouldnt have been a problem.

There is NO wrong way for a continuous cruiser, but a choice of lots of options, one of which you can not use again for 5 weeks.

Keep moving more than one km and you are fine, less and you have no sympathy.

12 minutes ago, dmr said:

Carry on into Liverpool, over the Mersey, in at Ellesmere port, down to Chester then all the way down to Norbury wharf to replenish the diesel :D

...............Dave

He's on the wrong side of the closure to carry on to Liverpool 

9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

If you had set off on Sunday there wouldnt have been a problem.

There is NO wrong way for a continuous cruiser, but a choice of lots of options, one of which you can not use again for 5 weeks.

Keep moving more than one km and you are fine, less and you have no sympathy.

Or, cruise the other way for a week and a half, back for another week and a half, then moor up for 14 days. 

Even a week cruising, a week moored, a week back then stay put for two weeks

As you can stay in one place for 14 days, it's not really that hard, is it

Richard

Right, so stuck above Appley Lock. That stoppage has been planned for ages.

So, back into Wigan with a short stop at Crooke Hall for beer, then a lot depends on what the stoppages are on the Bridgewater (who make CaRT look like professionals where winter stoppages are concerned). Maybe down to Manchester and up the Rochdale, or straight up the Wigan flight. If its really only 5 weeks it only needs 3 moves to be compliant.

...............Dave

12 minutes ago, Johny London said:

You have my sympathies. At least it is only 5 weeks and not 5 months though. I wanted to get onto the K&A but busy with other things I left it too late now can't get access until end of March!

They have to do the work sometime I guess :(

Thats a pain because I have heard that the Blakes lock stoppage is delayed, you could probably have made it.

..............Dave

I have encountered quite a few boaters who deliberately head for the stoppages as an excuse to stay still (on prime VM's) till the work is complete. In one case the work was delayed by bad weather so he waited on the VM for 6 weeks till it started!

...............Dave

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is amazing how each year the same boats seem to 'get stuck in closures' and claim as they cannot cruise where they want to go that C&RT should let them stay indefinitely.

It is almost as if they planned it to avoid having to CC.

And this is relevant to my post in what way exactly? Are you suggesting that I am doing this deliberately? FYI I have only been a NB owner since June this year and simply didn't realise that they shut locks for weeks at a time.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

......then a lot depends on what the stoppages are on the Bridgewater (who make CaRT look like professionals where winter stoppages are concerned).

....you seem to forget more date changes for last years bridge closure than all the CRT closure changes put together...

44 minutes ago, Boisdevie said:

So I can't continuously cruise in the direction I wanted and going the other way is the wrong way and will cost me time and money. I'm hoping to stay put until the lock reopens. I've emailed the C&RT for advice. Wonder if they'll hassle me to continue moving?

because you said this...

I too didn't realise the scale of potential closures, although coming up to my second winter, I just didn't happen to encounter any last year, so didn't think much about it.

CRT do let you have winter moorings though - maybe Boisdevie would find that helpful? Mind you, it actually costs more even though you would be effectively using less resources!

25 minutes ago, Boisdevie said:

And this is relevant to my post in what way exactly? ........ I have only been a NB owner since June this year and simply didn't realise that they shut locks for weeks at a time.

They don't do that at all! ........ sometimes closures can run into months.

Take Blisworth Tunnel , it was closed between April 1982 and September 1984.

If this is the lifestyle you have chosen then it is your responsibility to operate within the rules and be aware.  I can't think of a single instance in this world where ignorance is an acceptable excuse.  

That's why this is relevant to your post.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Boisdevie said:

To avoid this in future  you should go onto the CaRT website and sign up to receive stoppage information for the canals of your choice.

1 hour ago, Johny London said:

CRT do let you have winter moorings though.....................Mind you, it actually costs more................

In reality it is actually 'protection money' in that C&RT say "if you pay us some money, we will turn a blind-eye & not enforce the law that you must move every 14 days".

boisdevie  you do that. email crt and see what they have to say thats what i would do ...if they say yes its ok to stay there till  the jobs done and you dont mind staying there 5/6 weeks.nothing more to say about it ...if they say no you can not ...then thats it you can not simple ,and please dont worry what other boaters think or say ...like you said you are new to this boating thing ...good luck any way 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, Boisdevie said:

And this is relevant to my post in what way exactly? Are you suggesting that I am doing this deliberately? FYI I have only been a NB owner since June this year and simply didn't realise that they shut locks for weeks at a time.

You might be doing it deliberately. Plenty do. But I suspect you are not. What you are doing is committing to a new life on the water without a home mooring, with all that entails, without having done your research properly. And then when your mistake becomes obvious to you, expecting the system to accommodate your mistake such that you aren’t adversely affected by it.

If you ever decide to buy a plane, perhaps you will be equally surprised when you are picked up for not having a pilots licence? “Nobody told me...” etc. Let’s see how far you get with that one!

Anyway, you made a mistake, it is your mistake to rectify. But all is not lost - you can CC the other way! bliss!

• Greenie 3

got to agree with nicknorman but weather our friend is trying it on or not ..does it really matter that much , to me it dont .....like someone said plenty do . some get away with it some dont ..and i also know that to a person not one person here on canalword would ever dream of staying over longer then the permitted time ..or ever break the rules of crt ...well i can assure you i have not and. i certently   would never dream of trying it on ..im one of the good girls 

On 07/11/2017 at 22:06, Pie Eater said:

To avoid this in future  you should go onto the CaRT website and sign up to receive stoppage information for the canals of your choice.

Not a helpful comment. That will be no help at all to the OP. 

CRT don't send out emails warning about the planned closures. The emails only tell us about the emergency, unplanned and otherwise unannounced stoppages.

• Happy 1

Two months ago I was happily making my way back to my home mooring at Sowerby Bridge after a six month cruise involving hundreds of miles and locks, and was 2 miles from Marple locks when they were suddenly closed without warning and I was stopped in my tracks.  They are still closed and likely to stay that way for several months.  I've been pootling about the upper Macc and Peak Forest since then, until I stop on a paid-for winter mooring for three months from December.

Has it cost me time? Yes, time well spent.  Has it cost me money? Yes, money well spent.  The unlooked-for opportunity to thoroughly explore this beautiful area (and its pubs!) has been a pleasure.   I hadn't thought of contacting CRT to let me sit at the top of the locks for the winter (although I did for a week).  Should I have?  :)

• Greenie 4