Voltage drop when fridge turn on

Dave Bebb

Featured Posts

Think I have found one reason why my voltage dropped at the 12 volt control panel oh dear some terminals nuts where loose and completely full of corrosion, and it took six pints of distilled water to top up four 110 battery's think the battery's were in some desperate nead of maintenances PS getting to my battery's is a right pain 

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

1 minute ago, Dave Bebb said:

Think I have found one reason why my voltage dropped at the 12 volt control panel oh dear some terminals nuts where loose and completely full of corrosion, and it took six pints of distilled water to top up four 110 battery's think the battery's were in some desperate nead of maintenances PS getting to my battery's is a right pain 

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

Well done, things should improve now and you may have saved more expense in the near future 

1 hour ago, Dave Bebb said:

I thought your marine engineer said there were no problems with your system.

Edited by Flyboy

54 minutes ago, Dave Bebb said:

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

might be interesting to see how many peeps we can get to copy these huge photos.  .....................    there, I've done my bit.   B)

58 minutes ago, Dave Bebb said:

I think you were lucky your fridge started at all, I think I would consider renewing some of those clamps.

13 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

might be interesting to see how many peeps we can get to copy these huge photos.  .....................    there, I've done my bit.   B)

So have I.  :D   but now edited out.

Edited by Flyboy

i did have the engineer but he only looked a the cables running to the 12 volt fridge and he said they are fine ,going to get all new battery terminals check all battery cables  and put Vaseline on the terminals dont think half the battery's were delivering power ,when trying to get at the battery's is awful and nearly 71 years old dose not make it easy. filled all with distilled water and put 2 batteries on charge ,might be no good now as some sells where bone dry 

5 minutes ago, Dave Bebb said:

i did have the engineer but he only looked a the cables running to the 12 volt fridge and he said they are fine ,going to get all new battery terminals check all battery cables  and put Vaseline on the terminals dont think half the battery's were delivering power ,when trying to get at the battery's is awful and nearly 71 years old dose not make it easy. filled all with distilled water and put 2 batteries on charge ,might be no good now as some sells where bone dry 

Quite frankly, it is a wonder anything worked at all. And at 71, (I guess it's you and not the batteries) suggests you grew up in the old car age when starting handles disappeared to be replaced by electric starters - and the ensuing problems - when acid level and battery terminals was one of the first things to check.

31 minutes ago, Dave Bebb said:

Yes but he should know that the fridge cables went all the way to the batteries via many possible dodgy connections. Your "Marine Engineer" is totally incompetent.

I would have been too embarrassed to start the topic, things like that are better kept to yourself and then when someone has a similar problem, say, I remember once a dodgy terminal connection caused me a similar problem.

2 minutes ago, b0atman said:

you need to go down the sealed battery route if as you say they are hard to get at .

The sealed battery terminals will still corrode though, unless cleaned to bright metal and slathered in Vaseline.

Just  been to the NB today. To check battery's as I had 2 on charge 1 is good the other on holding a charge ,put the other 2 on charge I will check the in the morning ,so the dud one must have been taking the other 3 down ,going to renew all terminals and put all new cables on hope this sorts my problems out  

Edited by Dave Bebb

1 hour ago, Dave Bebb said:

Just  been to the NB today. To check battery's as I had 2 on charge 1 is good the other one not  holding a charge ,put the other 2 on charge I will check the in the morning ,so the dud one must have been taking the other 3 down ,going to renew all terminals and put all new cables on hope this sorts my problems out  

4 hours ago, J R ALSOP said:

I would have been too embarrassed to start the topic, things like that are better kept to yourself and then when someone has a similar problem, say, I remember once a dodgy terminal connection caused me a similar problem.

You shouldn't be embarrassed to ask questions - especially 'silly' ones. It is a good technique to judge the value of replies.

Ask a daft question you know the answer to, and you soon find out they know what they are talking about - that gives confidence in their other answers to questions on things you are not sure about.

6 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

You shouldn't be embarrassed to ask questions - especially 'silly' ones. It is a good technique to judge the value of replies.

Ask a daft question you know the answer to, and you soon find out they know what they are talking about - that gives confidence in their other answers to questions on things you are not sure about.

Unfortunately although the original question was far from embarrassing what was posted and more importantly not  after that should be. I  think we are still waiting for answers to diagnostic questions I and several others asked although they have now been rendered redundant. The coming back with the stuff about what the electrical engineer did and said without answering those questions should be. As should the recent admission that the electrical engineer did not check the whole system as per the earlier statements.

I am all for asking what one may feel is a stupid or embarrassing question but get cross when the poster appears unwilling to help themselves and answer relevant questions and take on board the very good advice offered. This thread is not the only example. the recent Perkins 4-108 one is another.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Unfortunately although the original question was far from embarrassing what was posted and more importantly not  after that should be. I  think we are still waiting for answers to diagnostic questions I and several others asked although they have now been rendered redundant. The coming back with the stuff about what the electrical engineer did and said without answering those questions should be. As should the recent admission that the electrical engineer did not check the whole system as per the earlier statements.

I am all for asking what one may feel is a stupid or embarrassing question but get cross when the poster appears unwilling to help themselves and answer relevant questions and take on board the very good advice offered. This thread is not the only example. the recent Perkins 4-108 one is another.

Tony, I hope I did not misunderstand you. Perhaps wrongly I thought your first comment implied you would not pose a question to this forum if you thought it might be embarrassing to you rather than to the poster in question. Sorry if I got it wrong.

I meant that the original question was properly and correct posted and no embarrassment should have been caused to anyone. However from then on I think the OP should have been somewhat embarrassed by his statements an comments. He ignored requests for information, he apparently ignored good advice, put all his faith in a so called  "electrical engineer" who it was later admitted did not do what was stated at the time and despite plenty of people telling him the engineer was  wrong till seemed to refuse to admit it.

It is not reasonable to expect new or not very practical boaters to know all the technical words and the information we need to make a  diagnosis but it is  reasonable to expect them to respond to questions arising from their query and not to try to play the forum off against who we now know and suspected all along is an incompetent.

• Greenie 1